Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ca. Providers: New Handbook on Releasing Children
Crystal 01:42 PM 11-19-2012
I was doing some research and found a new handbook on the child care law center website that DETAILS the release of children to parents, including custody issues, intoxicated, etc. as well as many other situations that might occur at pick up time. This is probably useful for ALL providers, not just those in California:

http://childcarelaw.org/documents/Ch...y2012Final.pdf
Crystal 01:46 PM 11-19-2012
Here is another handbook regarding family rights regarding children with disabilities:

http://childcarelaw.org/documents/Q_...tFinal2011.pdf
littlemissmuffet 02:09 PM 11-19-2012
Thank you for these, Crystal - will save the links and read them over tonight. I'm sure the information contained within will indeed prove useful to all providers.
sharlan 02:24 PM 11-19-2012
Thank you for sharing these with us.
daycare 02:29 PM 11-19-2012
thanks crystal...

so happy to know that I have this right....I have been going through a lot fo custody stuff with a few of my families and your post could not have come at a better time..... I have tried to call licensing, but they are not very helpful.

RELEASING A CHILD TO AN INTOXICATED ADULT
Child care providers have to make on-the-spot decisions about the safety of a child when a
person who appears to be drunk or impaired by drugs comes to pick up a child. State law gives
providers the right to deny access to any person who poses a threat to the safety of a family child
care home.
Providers must balance the fact that parents have the right to take their child out of
child care at any time with any immediate concerns about the child’s safety.
The provider can prepare herself for this difficult situation by having policies in place
regarding the release of children, access to the family child care home, and the termination of
parent-provider contracts. The provider also should have written procedures to follow in the
event that an intoxicated adult comes to pick up a child.
Crystal 02:51 PM 11-19-2012
ooooppppps!
Blackcat31 02:54 PM 11-19-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
thanks crystal...

so happy to know that I have this right....I have been going through a lot fo custody stuff with a few of my families and your post could not have come at a better time..... I have tried to call licensing, but they are not very helpful.

RELEASING A CHILD TO AN INTOXICATED ADULT
Child care providers have to make on-the-spot decisions about the safety of a child when a
person who appears to be drunk or impaired by drugs comes to pick up a child. State law gives
providers the right to deny access to any person who poses a threat to the safety of a family child
care home.
Providers must balance the fact that parents have the right to take their child out of
child care at any time with any immediate concerns about the child’s safety.
The provider can prepare herself for this difficult situation by having policies in place
regarding the release of children, access to the family child care home, and the termination of
parent-provider contracts. The provider also should have written procedures to follow in the
event that an intoxicated adult comes to pick up a child.
Although this solves your issue, it is a California law and may not apply to every state.

My licensor says we do NOT have this same right.
daycare 02:55 PM 11-19-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Although this solves your issue, it is a California law and may not apply to every state.

My licensor says we do NOT have this same right.
very good point....

this could be because I live in the land of the fruits and nuts......lol
Crystal 02:55 PM 11-19-2012
oops.............
Crystal 07:54 PM 11-19-2012
Re. My OOPS!

I was busy when I posted earlier and had meant to post in the the thread by Kimberli and accidentally posted here. I did not have time to explain earlier.

OOOOOPPPPPPSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Crystal 07:47 AM 11-20-2012
I haven't had time to read it all, but here is a link to the Californai Licensing Evaluator Handbook......it has explanations/defintions/etc. for licensing reps. when they inspect programs and how to apply regs:

http://ccld.ca.gov/PG395.htm
MarinaVanessa 10:13 AM 11-20-2012
I'm also glad to see this in writing. I saved the links and will be posting them onto our daycare association's website as well as announcing them on our associations website. Being from CA I'm glad that I've taken the necessary steps to make sure that I'm covered in the case that a situation like this should happen again. Thanks again Crystal.
Tags:california - regulations
Reply Up