Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have Any of You Gotten The Vaccine?
CountryRoads 11:47 AM 01-15-2021
My local public health called and childcare providers are being offered the vaccine this first round. I put myself down, but I'm able to call and cancel if i change my mind. Have you gotten one yet?
Michael 11:56 AM 01-15-2021
I'm in California and I haven't heard much about its availability. Just found out my friend that I sat next to on Dec 29th, for 5 hours, has been in the hospital for a week with COVID. He showed symptoms on the 3rd. I feel fine, but geez, I had to find out from a another friend that he was positive.
Cat Herder 11:59 AM 01-15-2021
I have not. It has been offered. I am going to wait until I have a couple days off later in the spring, maybe summer.

So far seven of my friends/co-workers have. Five had nothing but a sore arm, most go back next week for round two. Two had reactions (high fever, fainting, hypoxia). One required hospitalization, still there three days later. No update, today.

All of them work EMS/Fire/Police and were healthy enough to pass annual physical agility earlier this month.
CountryRoads 12:06 PM 01-15-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I have not. It has been offered. I am going to wait until I have a couple days off later in the spring, maybe summer.

So far seven of my friends/co-workers have. Five had nothing but a sore arm, most go back next week for round two. Two had reactions (high fever, fainting, hypoxia). One required hospitalization, still there three days later. No update, today.

All of them work EMS/Fire/Police and were healthy enough to pass annual physical agility earlier this month.
That makes me nervous
Cat Herder 12:12 PM 01-15-2021
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
That makes me nervous
Me, too, but from what I am seeing from "friends of friends" is that most just had the sore arm.

The female with the reaction was able to go back to work after a couple days home pushing fluids, tylenol and using a spirometer.

The male who had the reaction and is hospitalized has 22 years breathing housefire smoke. Take that for what it is worth.

I'd just plan ahead and hydrate really well beforehand. Then plan to rest for a couple days with help available. JIC. DH and I plan to stagger them so we are available to take care of each other in the case of a reaction.
DaveA 12:38 PM 01-15-2021
Because I still teach CPR/ First Aid I was eligible when DW got hers, but I passed. I’m pretty low risk- no current major health issues and work in a pretty socially isolated job. I’ll get it when things slow down a bit. It was more of a “others need it more than me” thing rather than concerns about the vaccine itself.
Josiegirl 02:09 PM 01-15-2021
I received a notice today, because I help provide care for my BIL, I'm eligible to receive the vaccine now so need to call my local hospital by the 20th to set up an appt.
The 1st shot doesn't scare me but after hearing the side effects can be worse with the 2nd shot leaves me feeling pretty apprehensive about the whole thing. I was happy to wait awhile to see how it all plays out but also don't want to miss my chance either.

What to do what to do.....
Cat Herder 12:06 PM 01-15-2021
I just checked the name on their cards, it was the Pfizer one.
Valerie928 05:01 PM 01-18-2021

I wonder why the hypoxia? There is no SARS-covid in these vaccines. I would totally understand the hypoxia if there were actual virus in the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines. Allergy?
Valerie928 05:05 PM 01-18-2021
We have a shortage of vaccines here in my area. They actually canceled appointments and are not scheduling any this week.
Blackcat31 05:07 PM 01-18-2021

Valerie928 06:24 PM 01-18-2021
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
These all make sense, the vaccine is triggering an immune response. But the hypoxia as a reaction as mentioned by Cat herder is scary to me.
Josiegirl 02:23 AM 01-19-2021
Thank you BC for sharing that chart.
Cat Herder 05:29 AM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
I wonder why the hypoxia? There is no SARS-covid in these vaccines. I would totally understand the hypoxia if there were actual virus in the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines. Allergy?
No known allergies. He literally just felt faint and hit the floor, S/S of shock. Wife called 911, transported, hospitalized 5 days. He is still doing RT and riding a desk.

Several more of my friends have had it, now, ad he is the only severe reaction I know of.
Blackcat31 06:58 AM 01-26-2021
So vaccine roll out here has been fairly decent I think.
They've got most the medical front line workers taken care of and are now moving on to child care workers, educators, people with medical conditions and those over age 65.

This morning one my DCM's tells me that both her and her husband got their first vaccination. I asked how since they're in their mid-30ies and neither work in any field that gives them priority nor do either of them have any underlying medical conditions.

DCM tells me her MIL owns an assisted living facility and they asked to be listed as employees so they were eligible to receive the vaccine there.

I asked if they actually did work there as back up employees and she said nope. They just figured it was the easiest and quickest way to be vaccinated.

That kind of entitled selfishness is astounding sometimes.
Annalee 07:38 AM 01-26-2021
So vaccine roll out here has been fairly decent I think.
They've got most the medical front line workers taken care of and are now moving on to child care workers, educators, people with medical conditions and those over age 65.

This morning one my DCM's tells me that both her and her husband got their first vaccination. I asked how since they're in their mid-30ies and neither work in any field that gives them priority nor do either of them have any underlying medical conditions.

DCM tells me her MIL owns an assisted living facility and they asked to be listed as employees so they were eligible to receive the vaccine there.

I asked if they actually did work there as back up employees and she said nope. They just figured it was the easiest and quickest way to be vaccinated.

That kind of entitled selfishness is astounding sometimes.
This stuff irks me. My son goes to trade school in a neighboring county and it's beside the health dept and he told me last week of people getting the vaccine and I pretty much told him they were probably getting tested or something as it wasn't those particular people's turn, but now I guess he was right. That's just messed up!
Chicupfront 12:09 AM 02-11-2021
I got mine yesterday. Pfizer. No major problems, so far just a sore arm.
nannyde 02:13 PM 02-11-2021
I had both doses of Moderna. Jan 4 and Feb 1 . I’m in Iowa with the worst Governor in the United States and it was super touch and go whether I could get the second one on the 28th day. In my state I am Tier one a so I qualified but they didn’t reserve the second dose to insure it could be given per the 28 days after.

I had a hard time with it but it was over at exactly 48 hours after each dose. It sucked. I had the fever, chills, headache, and BONE PAIN so bad. Second round I stayed on a heating pad that really helped the bone pain.

The arm pain wasn’t bad. If you have an older sibling and got punched in the arm as a kid... that’s about how that goes.

I also had some hives after the second one. Still nursing those. Not many but annoying.
Josiegirl 03:26 AM 02-14-2021
My niece, age 53, received her 2nd Moderna Wednesday. She had chills so bad the bed shook. She ached terribly the following day, she said it hurt to move everything but was feeling better though very lethargic on Friday. She also told her mom she wasn't sure now, that her mom should get her 2nd vaccine. And that's saying something for my niece to say that. Argh, getting my 2nd one this Wednesday so we shall see.
Valerie928 07:27 AM 02-14-2021
The goal of the moderna/Pfizer vaccines is to keep people from becoming gravely sick and needing hospitalization.

Yes, the 2nd dose can be a bit rough, if you become feverish, sore ect, it simply means the vaccine is doing exactly as it should by causing an immune response.

I will take a couple days of feeling miserable. It's better than being in hospital on airway assist.
e.j. 03:33 PM 02-14-2021
The goal of the moderna/Pfizer vaccines is to keep people from becoming gravely sick and needing hospitalization.

Yes, the 2nd dose can be a bit rough, if you become feverish, sore ect, it simply means the vaccine is doing exactly as it should by causing an immune response.

I will take a couple days of feeling miserable. It's better than being in hospital on airway assist.
This is the way I'm looking at it.

My sister got her second shot last week. She had a mild headache, mild fever (99F) with chills and sore arm. She said it lasted about 24 hours and she felt much better after that. She didn't feel the need to take Tylenol after the second shot despite the fact that her symptoms were worse than those from her first shot.
Blackcat31 06:40 AM 02-15-2021
Originally Posted by Annalee:
CDC says to still wear mask and social distance even after being vaccinated. I'm really happy to know after that second dose I don't have to quarantine due to exposure.
Me too but this kind of information is what confuses me...
If we can still carry and spread the virus, wouldn't it make sense to quarantine if exposed? I don't know, I know wearing a mask, social distancing and washing our hands helps a ton I know I'd feel horrible if I spread it to one of my DCK's after I knew I was exposed... know what I mean?

Originally Posted by e.j.:
This is the way I'm looking at it.

My sister got her second shot last week. She had a mild headache, mild fever (99F) with chills and sore arm. She said it lasted about 24 hours and she felt much better after that. She didn't feel the need to take Tylenol after the second shot despite the fact that her symptoms were worse than those from her first shot.
I've heard some people say they felt so bad they thought they were dying... and others say it was tough but not that bad.

I am sure it's different for everyone but personally I am terrified of the fall out from the second dose, not so much for me but for my husband. As a type 1 diabetic, they don't fight off things like regular people. Heck, the stomach flu put him in the ICU for 4 days a few years back.
Annalee 06:57 AM 02-15-2021
If we can still carry and spread the virus, wouldn't it make sense to quarantine if exposed? I don't know, I know wearing a mask, social distancing and washing our hands helps a ton I know I'd feel horrible if I spread it to one of my DCK's after I knew I was exposed... know what I mean?

I've heard some people say they felt so bad they thought they were dying... and others say it was tough but not that bad.

I am sure it's different for everyone but personally I am terrified of the fall out from the second dose, not so much for me but for my husband. As a type 1 diabetic, they don't fight off things like regular people. Heck, the stomach flu put him in the ICU for 4 days a few years back.
I really think the 'no quarantine for exposure' is a push to get people to get the vaccine??? But it will be nice to not have to close my daycare due to me being exposed anymore.
e.j. 12:36 PM 02-15-2021
I agree with you! It doesn't make sense to me that on the one hand, they say we still need to follow all other covid protocols after getting the vaccine but now we don't have to quarantine if exposed? Maybe as long as we're vaccinated and wearing the mask and distancing ourselves, they figure we're even less as apt to pass the virus along?? Now with all of the different variants of the virus popping up and no one seeming to know for sure if the vaccine will be effective against all of them, I wonder if they'll back track at some point and recommend quarantining again.

That's awful! I can understand why you're concerned. It really does seem to be an individual thing where some people feel fine after their shots and others seem to have harsher side effects. I hope your husband does ok with his second shot.
Reimel61 12:25 PM 02-21-2021
Had my 2nd dose of Pfizer yesterday. Thank the Lord, I'm now 24 hours in and no major symptoms. My arm was more sore with the first dose than the 2nd dose. Had a very minor headache last evening, maybe lasted for 1/2 hour. Didn't take any Tylenol or Advil. Not even sure it was vaccine related. Feeling thankful.
CenterTeacher20 11:23 AM 02-24-2021
My first dose is officially scheduled for tomorrow!
Annalee 12:48 PM 02-25-2021
Mom and I got our vaccine today about 1:15....we shall see how things go!
CenterTeacher20 12:53 PM 02-25-2021
Just got my first dose at 12:30! Funniest thing about it was when I got to my appointment, and it was my turn, I ended up being vaccinated by a working DCM! I can't escape work anywhere.
Blackcat31 01:26 PM 02-25-2021
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Mom and I got our vaccine today about 1:15....we shall see how things go!
Yay!! So happy to hear!!

Originally Posted by CenterTeacher20:
Just got my first dose at 12:30! Funniest thing about it was when I got to my appointment, and it was my turn, I ended up being vaccinated by a working DCM! I can't escape work anywhere.
That's funny!

I went in for my first one a while back and there were several nurses from public health doing them at stations.
Of course I get the nurse that just happens to be the grandparent of the child I terminated the day before.
BumbleBee 05:55 PM 03-09-2021
Received my first moderna vaccine yesterday evening. Arm is sore. Same level of soreness as getting a tdap. Otherwise I feel fine.
Blackcat31 07:07 PM 03-09-2021
Originally Posted by BumbleBee:
Received my first moderna vaccine yesterday evening. Arm is sore. Same level of soreness as getting a tdap. Otherwise I feel fine.
Hi! Nice to see you!
How have you been?
BumbleBee 06:11 AM 03-10-2021
Hi! Nice to see you!
How have you been?
Hi! I've been doing ok. This last year has been a challenge, as it has been for many people.
Cat Herder 07:26 AM 03-11-2021
DH and I are getting the Johnson & Johnson's Janssen COVID-19 vaccine today. I will update how I feel this evening.

I planned on skipping it this year, I have been outvoted by my doc, DH, dad, kids and one of my employers.
Annalee 07:47 AM 03-11-2021
DH and I are getting the Johnson & Johnson's Janssen COVID-19 vaccine today. I will update how I feel this evening.

I planned on skipping it this year, I have been outvoted by my doc, DH, dad, kids and one of my employers.
A 23 yr old diabetic college kid from church had the Johnson/Johnson vaccine yesterday and was very sick last night Temp, achy, fatigue, etc.
284878 04:56 AM 03-12-2021

How did you find out what you were getting before you got there?
LysesKids 10:46 AM 03-12-2021

I got the J&J Wednesday night... I slept most of yesterday away, but other than that no issues. I qualified 1c in this state due to health issues. Miss coming here to chat, but I'm still in school getting another degree lol; I changed my mind on getting a jab after I saw how sick my oldest daughter got with Covid... she's gonna be a long hauler & hasn't been able to work in a few months
Gemma 12:54 PM 03-16-2021

I didn't see this one coming I'm thinking I might be the only one left to not want it
gpattillo68 10:09 AM 03-11-2021
I got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine on 3/8 of this week. I had a sore arm the next day that felt tender snd more like a bruise. I felt a little off, but couldn’t tell if that was just how my day was going to go. I’m happy to the have the first one out of the way.
Cat Herder 12:15 PM 03-11-2021
It has been a few hours and all I feel is a bit sore. Like a bee sting at first, then like riding in the back of the car with my kid brother and seeing VW beetle with one headlight out. Double shot.

Not too bad.
Valerie928 06:13 AM 03-30-2021
My husband and I will finally get our vaccines this Friday. I am in NY and the supply has been iffy. Eligibility has not meant availability around here. So, we are driving over an hour away to receive our vaccines. Not even sure if it's going to be moderna/Pfizer or J&J
Blackcat31 06:20 AM 03-30-2021
My state just made the vaccine available to anyone over age 16 regardless of physical health. Anyone over 16 yrs of age is eligible. My son went online this morning to make an appointment and is scheduled to get his this Friday already.

Im saddened to hear of so many people in other states still struggling to get theirs. I wonder why some states are having so much trouble...if it's the way in which they've managed distribution or if it's having enough supply or what.

My state isn't small and has it's fair share of major cities etc and I haven't really heard of anyone really having issues with getting vaccinated at all.
Valerie928 06:38 AM 03-30-2021
My state just made the vaccine available to anyone over age 16 regardless of physical health. Anyone over 16 yrs of age is eligible. My son went online this morning to make an appointment and is scheduled to get his this Friday already.

Im saddened to hear of so many people in other states still struggling to get theirs. I wonder why some states are having so much trouble...if it's the way in which they've managed distribution or if it's having enough supply or what.

My state isn't small and has it's fair share of major cities etc and I haven't really heard of anyone really having issues with getting vaccinated at all.
Hey BC, just wondering how your husband did after receiving his vaccine/vaccines? As long as I have been looking forward to my husband and I getting ours. I am still a little scared.
Blackcat31 07:23 AM 03-30-2021
Hey BC, just wondering how your husband did after receiving his vaccine/vaccines? As long as I have been looking forward to my husband and I getting ours. I am still a little scared.
We both got the Moderna version. No issues what so ever. My hubby did complain of a bit of a sore arm from both shots but that is it. No other side effects at all.
I didn't have a sore arm from either the first or second shot.

I was all prepared and waited... lol! But nothing.

Hoping you and your hubby have the same experience!
Valerie928 07:48 AM 03-30-2021
We both got the Moderna version. No issues what so ever. My hubby did complain of a bit of a sore arm from both shots but that is it. No other side effects at all.
I didn't have a sore arm from either the first or second shot.

I was all prepared and waited... lol! But nothing.

Hoping you and your hubby have the same experience!
❤ Glad to know you both had positive experiences!
Tags:covid-19 - vaccination, vaccinations
Reply Up