Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Am I In The Wrong
kayla 06:41 AM 04-20-2012
Ok so I have a dcp who I constantly remind to let me know if she will be early or late... well today 10 min after her scheduled time I sent her a message asking her what time dcb would be here she did not respond so an hour after he was supposed to be here I sent her a message stating that since I have not heard from her that I will consider today a no call no show and that I will not be available for care, and that I would see her monday... does anyone think this is wrong or am I ok, I just felt like she needs to learn that I dont sit around waiting for her???
Blackcat31 06:45 AM 04-20-2012
Originally Posted by kayla:
Ok so I have a dcp who I constantly remind to let me know if she will be early or late... well today 10 min after her scheduled time I sent her a message asking her what time dcb would be here she did not respond so an hour after he was supposed to be here I sent her a message stating that since I have not heard from her that I will consider today a no call no show and that I will not be available for care, and that I would see her monday... does anyone think this is wrong or am I ok, I just felt like she needs to learn that I dont sit around waiting for her???
If you do this once, you will probably not have to deal with her lateness anymore. Seems once you put your foot down, people start to listen.

I say "Good for you!!"
Breezy 06:49 AM 04-20-2012
Yay good for you! You did what I WISH I had the guts to do sometimes!
DCMom 06:59 AM 04-20-2012
Did she respond? I just wondered what her reaction was.

I've never had too much of a problem with late arrivals. All of my dckids arrive give or take 15 minutes of the same time everyday. If it got to be an hour or so late then I would call or text to find out what is going on, but I don't think I would 'not be available for care'.

Now if it was late pickups, those really torque me. And I make that VERY clear from the beginning. Just sayin
kayla 07:01 AM 04-20-2012
This was the first time I have ever done anything like this, but I felt I had to because she is always taking advantage of me...I just hope I dont lose her because I cannot afford to, But I was sick of being walked all over by her also...We will see what happens...
cheerfuldom 07:03 AM 04-20-2012
What is outlined in your contract about situations like these? Do you have fees set for early and late?
Zoe 07:06 AM 04-20-2012
I think you did the right thing. If you are always asking her about specific drop off and pick ups and she still isn't getting the message, then she needs something blunt like what you did. Good for you.

For those who don't mind different drop off and pick ups, it really depends on the family. I have one who's great and I really don't care what time they come because they know what my schedule is and respect it. But if it were someone who was disrespectful like that dcm you have OP, then I'd do exactly what you did.
kayla 07:12 AM 04-20-2012
So am I supposed to sit around waiting all day for her when he is my only kid today, for her to show up whenever she feels like it?? I got sick of it.... I have told her on numerous occasions that she needs to let me know. If she can't do that I feel like she needed to learn her lesson. I am not drop in care I have set times, and I would like them to be followed. Especially since we have talked about it a number of times..
wdmmom 07:21 AM 04-20-2012
I do 2 different things...

1. If a child is going to be absent or late, they are required to notify me 30 min before the scheduled time. They can call, emil or text. Either way its all time stamped. If they don't, there is a $10 convenience fee charged in addition their normal daily rate.

2. I don't admit children after 9 am. If they are later than 9am, they forfeit care for the day and still pay.

In your case...you did the right thing!! If you can have the day off because of a parents inability to contact you, do it!!! Enjoy your Friday!!!
kayla 07:29 AM 04-20-2012
Thank you everyone!!
Heidi 08:07 AM 04-20-2012
My only concern would be that something happened, like the child-left-in-the-car thing.

I have in my policy that I will call first the parents, then every single contact on the list for a welfare check. Last resort, I will call the police.

No, it's not my job, but if something has happened, I'd rather not live with it, even if I am in the right.

You did do the right thing, I would just be worried!
CheekyChick 09:08 AM 04-20-2012
I know I'm one of the few on here that feels this way, but I couldn't care less what time parents pick up or drop off. They pay for their day and they can use as much (or as little) of the day as they need. The ONLY time I care about drop off or pick up is during nap time because I don't want the other children disturbed or woken.
GrannyJ 09:30 AM 04-20-2012
I'm with you CheekyChick I don't care what time the child arrives as long as its not between 12:30-3pm. I'm open 7am-5:30 I charge a flat rate so they can use any of those hours. But I do think it is very inconsiderate of a parent to not call if they are going to be late or a no show, especially if you only have that one child for the day.
I think you did the right thing Kayla enjoy the rest of your day!
itlw8 10:35 AM 04-20-2012
We do not leave and if I did I would have hat to tell the parent be fore hand anyway per licensing.

As long they feed the child when they are late and do not let them sleep late so to mess up nap It is ok

We go on with our day the the child just misses what we did.

If I only had one child then yes after a certain point I would leave.
Blackcat31 11:20 AM 04-20-2012
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
I know I'm one of the few on here that feels this way, but I couldn't care less what time parents pick up or drop off. They pay for their day and they can use as much (or as little) of the day as they need. The ONLY time I care about drop off or pick up is during nap time because I don't want the other children disturbed or woken.
I don't care what time they drop off and pick up either. I think in this case, the point was that she told the provider a time and is now late.

That is disrespectful and rude IMHO.

My DCF's can use as much or as little time as they choose as welll.....they can drop off and go home and sleep all day for all I care but when I plan activities, meals/snacks and events for a specific number of kids only to have one be late or early (especially with no notice from parents) it can really throw a wrench into the day. THAT is what I think OP is having an issue with.
sharlan 11:23 AM 04-20-2012
I really don't care what time they come, just don't dare be late.

Having said that, if I have plans, I let the parents know the day before or with a quick call that morning. If they're not there, I leave.
CheekyChick 11:48 AM 04-21-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't care what time they drop off and pick up either. I think in this case, the point was that she told the provider a time and is now late.

That is disrespectful and rude IMHO.

My DCF's can use as much or as little time as they choose as welll.....they can drop off and go home and sleep all day for all I care but when I plan activities, meals/snacks and events for a specific number of kids only to have one be late or early (especially with no notice from parents) it can really throw a wrench into the day. THAT is what I think OP is having an issue with.
Thank you for explaining her very complex post.

I was only giving my input as to what I do. It seems many providers get upset/stressed if a child is late. I can't imagine texting a family if they were 10 minutes late. For me, it takes a great deal of stress away from me to just let people come and go as they please. Oh, and if I had only one child that day and was already paid for the day, I would get up as normal and relax with a book and a cup of tea until they arrived.
AllDeezBabies 12:55 PM 04-21-2012
I really don't care about lateness but I do have in my contract that after meal times, I won't back track in my day to be sure they are fed after meals are served. They will be responsible for their meals. Oh and don't bring the child around nap times.

I also made sure I input that their lateness does not mean an extension of their daycare hours. If they were contracted for 6 to 4 and dropped off at 7, they are still contracted to pick up at 4 and not 5.
jenny31052 09:34 PM 04-21-2012
I don't care if their supposed drop off time its for example, 730am, and they show up at 8am - I do get extremely upset when I have those that are supposed to be dropped off at 6-630am (which means that I have to get up between 5-530) and then they show up an hour later... I do a favor by taking the kids early, I expect the parents to tell me if they are going to be late, since they know that I work 12 hours day, I'm school full time, and I have a family, and a small child to care for, and I can sure use one more hour of sleep...

I terminated a family that was dropping off at 5.45 am, and was no-call/no-show 3 times in a month -
Reply Up