Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Daycare Space...Now I Need Help With Picking A Color
frugalmama4 09:43 AM 04-24-2013
I'm so happy...getting my house back!

Ok, moving into the attached two car garage about 400 sq

-no natural light
-4 fluorescent lights

I don't like loud colors (my house is painted in neutrals brown, blue, beige) my favorite color to ware is black.

I need something soft but still energetic for the kiddos..I'm thinking something in the yellow family...not sure what shade...tried some samples didn't look so good...will go back this weekend and get more sample.

Thanks for any feed back.
Cradle2crayons 10:18 AM 04-24-2013
I have a neutral green on my daycare room and kids bath... I love it... Its calming but not boring and neutral enough to decorate with bright stuff..l if you go too bright then your bright toys and stuff won't stand out .. Just my two cents
AmyLeigh 10:28 AM 04-24-2013
I have a soft buttery yellow on the walls of our playroom. I love it. Its a happy, but peaceful color. But, I also have a lot of natural light in that room, so it may make a difference. The color is called Evening Glow.
countrymom 11:00 AM 04-24-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I have a neutral green on my daycare room and kids bath... I love it... Its calming but not boring and neutral enough to decorate with bright stuff..l if you go too bright then your bright toys and stuff won't stand out .. Just my two cents
me too

mine is called Frosted Shadow by Valspar
countrymom 11:11 AM 04-24-2013
I forgot to add that the one main wall is painted Meadow Wind. Its a bit darker green (same family) but it adds a nice contrast. and some days you can't even tell that the wall is a bit darker. I also painted my ceiling the same light green, that if you didn't know it looks white.

I know you said there is no light, but can I suggest adding a ceiling fan to circulate the air (esp. when the air becomes stinky)
originalkat 02:47 PM 04-24-2013
I have a nice creamy yellow in my playroom. I love it! I have also considered painting the walls a nice lighter shade of green so the walls dont look dirty so easily. But I wonder if it will make the space look smaller. It is only 200 sq ft.
frugalmama4 03:53 PM 04-24-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I forgot to add that the one main wall is painted Meadow Wind. Its a bit darker green (same family) but it adds a nice contrast. and some days you can't even tell that the wall is a bit darker. I also painted my ceiling the same light green, that if you didn't know it looks white.

I know you said there is no light, but can I suggest adding a ceiling fan to circulate the air (esp. when the air becomes stinky)
Yea we put in two 52in fans with lights
countrymom 05:35 PM 04-24-2013
also, for some reason my dcks will lay on the floor and watch my fan spin. They are so amused by it. And it works great at nap time.
bunnyslippers 05:52 PM 04-24-2013
I used to have yellow walls in my daycare space, and I sort of hated it after a while. Now, they are a very pale but bright aqua color. It is so peaceful and calming, but also cheerful. I couldn't ask for a better color. Nice white trim. It is very bright. All of my clients LOVED when I went from the yellow to the aqua.
MamaBearCanada 08:19 AM 04-25-2013
I would suggest a blue or green if there's no natural light. I would also consider getting on of those lamps that mimics natural light because a lack of natural light can really affect mood. Especially if you have a run of rainy days! I think they are called full spectrum sunlights or something like that.
CZlady 08:37 AM 04-25-2013
I think a sage green would work well! Not too boring but also not loud.
MN Day Mom 08:43 AM 04-25-2013
I have a light pale blue. Very calming and welcoming.
My3cents 10:27 AM 04-25-2013
Originally Posted by frugalmama4:
I'm so happy...getting my house back!

Ok, moving into the attached two car garage about 400 sq

-no natural light
-4 fluorescent lights

I don't like loud colors (my house is painted in neutrals brown, blue, beige) my favorite color to ware is black.

I need something soft but still energetic for the kiddos..I'm thinking something in the yellow family...not sure what shade...tried some samples didn't look so good...will go back this weekend and get more sample.

Thanks for any feed back.
Go with an off white and accent in colors. If not then pick a color that you want to be in all the time and never get sick of.
EAP 10:05 AM 04-29-2013
I have a pale grey-blue color - oyster bay - by sherwin Williams - my classroom is my living room and I just left the color. There are guides online about what colors impact mood etc - its very interesting
KDC 11:22 AM 04-29-2013
We used Wedgewood gray in our family room by pottery barn, but it's definitely more blue than gray. It's such a calming color...we had bright yellow and I felt it was screaming at me all the time. The blue is calming...

For the playroom I used 'Toy story disney colors' when they were available. So it's blue/green & orange. BRIGHT kid colors...afterwards I decided it was too dark, but will change it when we finish drywalling the ceiling.

My vote is for buttery yellow or blue
Reply Up