Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Music? Spanish? Yoga?
mema 02:02 PM 09-05-2013
Do you have anyone that comes in to do classes? I know around our area I've heard of a music lady that comes twice a month. Wondering how many do this and for what classes.
Leanna 02:14 PM 09-05-2013
We have a music teacher that comes once a week and does a half hour lesson pf music & movement. She is a local musician who teaches private instrument and voice lessons as well.
snbauser 02:17 PM 09-05-2013
We have someone who comes in twice a month for a music and movement program. I'd like to make it once a week but need to wait until finances are better.
Blackcat31 02:17 PM 09-05-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
We have a music teacher that comes once a week and does a half hour lesson pf music & movement. She is a local musician who teaches private instrument and voice lessons as well.
Same here. One of my DCM's is an elementary music teacher. She comes in once a week and does a 20-30 minute music lesson for my preschoolers.

She also does a 20 minute lesson with my toddlers twice a month.

My DH also does bi-weekly "wood shop" with the kids. They love it!
mema 02:26 PM 09-05-2013
How did you find them? I've heard of a music lady around here and a yoga one, but don't know where to find their info. The music lady went to the dc my kids went to when they were young, but not really on speaking terms with her to ask.

BC-woodshop sounds fun! We use to take ours to Lowe's on Saturdays for their projects and had a blast!
MarinaVanessa 02:41 PM 09-05-2013
I'd love to do this ... what a treat. I always thought that since my DC children tend to be on the young side (3 and under mostly) that I wouldn't be able to do a music type of class. That's interesting BC, what types of music activities does she do with your DC children?

I have a friend that works as a preschool teacher and once she gets settled into her groove at the school we're going to work something out where she will come and do an art activity once or twice a month with my children after she gets off of work. We've been talking about me paying for the supplies (which I do now anyway) and her coming in for 30 minutes or so for free and she'd get practice working with FCC and use me as a reference for other FCC daycares.

Maybe offering this option to someone that is either wanting to start giving classes to children or is just getting started. I would think that offering this to students that want to teach may also be a great option. Maybe you can contact the child development department at a local college and offer your daycare to get experience for no or low cost. Daycares with older children can probably contact the music department and do the same for their older daycare children. For the younger crowd maybe booking a different music student once a month for a small fee to play a musical instrument and teach them a little something about the instrument in a short 30 minute class. What a treat!
Blackcat31 03:08 PM 09-05-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I'd love to do this ... what a treat. I always thought that since my DC children tend to be on the young side (3 and under mostly) that I wouldn't be able to do a music type of class. That's interesting BC, what types of music activities does she do with your DC children?
She does a basic introduction of musical instruments for several weeks.

Then she will begin introducing them to basic notes/sounds. She makes it really fun for the kids and by the time the school year is over, she always has one or two that can play Mary Had A Little Lamb on the recorder.

For the toddler's she just does fun stuff....she teaches them how to use each instrument and has them practice using them.
sahm1225 03:48 PM 09-05-2013
Can I ask what you pay them for their classes? Do you pay monthly, per class, etc? Thanks!
EAP 05:42 PM 09-05-2013
We have a weekly music and movement teacher and my kids are all under 3 and it is wonderful! I have kids who are under 2 who sing along!
originalkat 07:39 PM 09-05-2013
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Can I ask what you pay them for their classes? Do you pay monthly, per class, etc? Thanks!
I was wondering the same thing. I asked a Music lady this recently and she was charging $80 per class session (30 minutes/once per week)!!
Blackcat31 08:04 AM 09-06-2013
I don't pay my DCM. I offered to but she declined.

She said she LOVES what she does and is delighted to have the opportunity to introduce the under 5 crowd to music and it's benefits.

Atleast 3/4th of my DCK's will attend the elementary school where she teaches.... I think she is really happy she gets to start building a relationship with them now before she "meets" them in Kindy.
Jack Sprat 11:59 AM 09-06-2013
I would love to have access to something like this. I have thought about asking our local art teachers, music etc to come visit during the summer months. But, afraid of cost. Maybe a barter would be the answer..We do yoga here but the kids laugh at me I guess I am pretty funny when doing it.
Unregistered 10:01 AM 10-25-2013
you asked: Do you have anyone that comes in to do classes? I know around our area I've heard of a music lady that comes twice a month. Wondering how many do this and for what classes.

I would like to go to daycares to offer yoga, creative movement, spanish, french. sometimes I combine them all ..

how much should i charge for a half hour?
littleblossoms 10:08 AM 10-25-2013
I have a music teacher comes once a week for 40 mins all my kids are two and under.

The parents pay for the classes
Sugar Magnolia 10:57 AM 10-25-2013
My husband teaches violin to any dck who is 4 or 5 and interested.....but I only have 1 four year old right now, he's not interested.
jojosmommy 10:58 AM 10-25-2013
Originally Posted by mema:
How did you find them? I've heard of a music lady around here and a yoga one, but don't know where to find their info. The music lady went to the dc my kids went to when they were young, but not really on speaking terms with her to ask.

BC-woodshop sounds fun! We use to take ours to Lowe's on Saturdays for their projects and had a blast!
You are near me right? I can pm you the name of the lady I use for music. She is very busy though. And, the yoga lady lives down the street from me. And , oddly enough I know a Spanish teacher in our area too.

Heck, come over with your kiddos on a Thursday and you can join us for one of these fun adventures!
jojosmommy 11:00 AM 10-25-2013
Our music lady is $30 for 30 min. Worth TWICE this.
jojosmommy 11:04 AM 10-25-2013
My current dcks are 5, 4, 2, 2, 1. She doesmstuff on their level, music and movement songs, teaches them musical vocabulary, brins instruments she plays and ones for them (sticks, shakers, bells, drums etc), she did a parachute, a puppet show (with singing puppets obv). My kiddos learn about controlling their bodies, speaking clearly (she gives them turns to share something), listening, in addition to all the awesome things she teaches about music!
mema 11:57 AM 10-25-2013
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
You are near me right? I can pm you the name of the lady I use for music. She is very busy though. And, the yoga lady lives down the street from me. And , oddly enough I know a Spanish teacher in our area too.

Heck, come over with your kiddos on a Thursday and you can join us for one of these fun adventures!
Yes I am! That would be great if you could get me any of their info. I would come over, but it might be too long of a walk, I think we are opposite sides. It would be great if someone would have a facility to hold it in like the united way building and rent a bus to go around a pick up different daycares and have all the different options in one place.
Maria2013 01:42 PM 10-25-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

My DH also does bi-weekly "wood shop" with the kids. They love it!
that would be so cool!

I'm thinking about having someone coming once a week but I haven't figured out what I would like the kids to learn...I'm leaning towards yoga
TanyaS 04:47 AM 10-29-2013
We keep things simple, fun and open when teaching yoga to kids. Generally, the guidelines for adult yoga also apply to children but below are some specific guidelines for kids yoga.
Also we are listening to music, playing various instruments, studying paintings, appreciation of beauty, introduction to theater.
Childcare located in Framingham
Reply Up