Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fire Marshall Inspection?
gracepatiencelove 07:44 AM 05-07-2014
What exactly did they look for? What are some common errors? Is there a checklist of what needs to be done anywhere? Do they check out everything or just the daycare areas?
gracepatiencelove 07:47 AM 05-07-2014
I guess I am looking for regulations, guidelines, legislation, whatever.

I am in WVa
NoMoreJuice! 08:29 AM 05-07-2014
http://www.firemarshal.wv.gov/Docume...%20Centers.pdf

Pulled this from your state's fire marshal's website. Not sure if it really helps or not.

In most states, you are required to show the fire marshal your evacuation plans, records of monthly fire/tornado drills, and records of monthly smoke detector tests. Our state mandates that the smoke detectors be hard wired OR have a 10 year lithium 9v battery in them (however, my city fire marshal overrides that mandate, and he requires us to use regular 9v batteries and replace them every 6 months). There must be smoke detectors in every room that children and adults sleep in.

I hope this helps, but if you still have questions, I would call your local fire marshal. They are always happy to answer questions, since their goal is the same as our's: keeping the kids safe!
daycare 08:37 AM 05-07-2014
thats what I was going to say. go to your county and ask them for an inspection check off sheet or a list of requirements.

In my state it differs by county, some times by city.
Second Home 08:41 AM 05-07-2014
For my first inspection to get my lic the fire marshal checked the entire house including the unfinished basement , hot water heater , furnace , electrical panel and tested every smoke detector .
craftymissbeth 09:06 AM 05-07-2014
Crap. I forgot to have my fire Marshall come in and renew me

Thanks for reminding me!
gracepatiencelove 09:55 AM 05-07-2014
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
http://www.firemarshal.wv.gov/Docume...%20Centers.pdf

Pulled this from your state's fire marshal's website. Not sure if it really helps or not.

In most states, you are required to show the fire marshal your evacuation plans, records of monthly fire/tornado drills, and records of monthly smoke detector tests. Our state mandates that the smoke detectors be hard wired OR have a 10 year lithium 9v battery in them (however, my city fire marshal overrides that mandate, and he requires us to use regular 9v batteries and replace them every 6 months). There must be smoke detectors in every room that children and adults sleep in.

I hope this helps, but if you still have questions, I would call your local fire marshal. They are always happy to answer questions, since their goal is the same as our's: keeping the kids safe!
do your regs say the "OR" bit re the lithium batteries or is that stated elsewhere?
craftymissbeth 10:32 AM 05-07-2014
In my city, we also have to have smoke detectors in every room leading to our chosen escape exits. So not only on all levels of the house and each room adults and/or children sleep, but also each room you pass through on the way to an exit. I took the safe route and installed one in literally every room in my house. I burned lunch one day and all 7 smoke alarms on my main level went off I chose to use that as an unscheduled fire drill

NoMoreJuice and I are from the same state, but what we are required as far as fire safety is different. So you should definitely follow what your regs say AND your county/city.
craftymissbeth 10:32 AM 05-07-2014
Originally Posted by gracepatiencelove:
do your regs say the "OR" bit re the lithium batteries or is that stated elsewhere?
Yes, Kansas regs say we can choose either option.
gracepatiencelove 10:38 AM 05-07-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
In my city, we also have to have smoke detectors in every room leading to our chosen escape exits. So not only on all levels of the house and each room adults and/or children sleep, but also each room you pass through on the way to an exit. I took the safe route and installed one in literally every room in my house. I burned lunch one day and all 7 smoke alarms on my main level went off I chose to use that as an unscheduled fire drill

NoMoreJuice and I are from the same state, but what we are required as far as fire safety is different. So you should definitely follow what your regs say AND your county/city.
ahahaha

I burn lunch too lol. But, it seems like with a few tweaks I can pass that so I am well on my way
gracepatiencelove 10:39 AM 05-07-2014
Also.....

<--- had no idea fire marshal only had one L. No wonder it kept getting highlighted in red
gracepatiencelove 11:10 AM 05-07-2014
It looks like my biggest obstacle is hardwired alarms... I am going to call again about waivers or variances but I doubt that is possible
Tags:fire, fire inspection, fire marshall, fire safety, inspection
Reply Up