Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD? Two Week Overlap
gracepatiencelove 09:05 AM 05-26-2014
I have a sib set that go to school mid/late August. Their mom said she might need B/A care but not if she gets the right shift (so her goal is to not have to do B/A care at all and not deal with it). I have another family lined up - but they need the spot EARLY August (they REALLY need it late July when their current DCP goes on mat leave/is due w baby but Grandma said she could cover a week or two).

How should I/would you handle this situation?
Rachel 09:09 AM 05-26-2014
If the first family gave you notice until a certain date, then the spot is theirs until that date. I would tell the current family you need a firm end date (and payment through that date), and then tell the second family the date they can start. This is assuming of course you can't get a waiver in your state for the 2 weeks.
DaisyMamma 01:43 PM 05-26-2014
I would tell the family that is leaving that they have to leave two weeks earlier! You're giving them plenty of notice! If today were July 15 I might consider doing it differently.

There's no way I would pass on a new client bc of 2 weeks.
Blackcat31 02:41 PM 05-26-2014
Can you hire a helper so you could take the two families temporarily at the same time?

If not, I would simply tell the new family that the space isn't available until mid August.

Just because that family gave you a big notice doesn't mean you should boot them earlier. I surely wouldn't since 75% of my business comes from word of mouth from clients who aged out of my program.

If the new family really really really wants to be in your program, they will figure out a back up plan until the space is available for them.

My 2 cents.
gracepatiencelove 04:07 PM 05-26-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Can you hire a helper so you could take the two families temporarily at the same time?

If not, I would simply tell the new family that the space isn't available until mid August.

Just because that family gave you a big notice doesn't mean you should boot them earlier. I surely wouldn't since 75% of my business comes from word of mouth from clients who aged out of my program.

If the new family really really really wants to be in your program, they will figure out a back up plan until the space is available for them.

My 2 cents.
Good point. If they can work out those first two weeks, I'm sure they can figure out the next two. My only worry is that if they can't and find new permanent care (and she has said she wants them with me, but at the same time she's a single mom and I know she won't take off time unpaid just to wait around) I'm gonna be scrambling for clients. I'm in school to find a more stable job but I'm currently a single mom and this is the best paying job I can do! I can only take four kids so I don't have much buffer room. I am saving as much as possible and taking evening kids to get a few months worth of bill money saved up because I know how tenuous this all is.... I'm trying to do the smart thing!
Blackcat31 04:43 PM 05-26-2014
Originally Posted by gracepatiencelove:
Good point. If they can work out those first two weeks, I'm sure they can figure out the next two. My only worry is that if they can't and find new permanent care (and she has said she wants them with me, but at the same time she's a single mom and I know she won't take off time unpaid just to wait around) I'm gonna be scrambling for clients. I'm in school to find a more stable job but I'm currently a single mom and this is the best paying job I can do! I can only take four kids so I don't have much buffer room. I am saving as much as possible and taking evening kids to get a few months worth of bill money saved up because I know how tenuous this all is.... I'm trying to do the smart thing!
Have you talked with the current family?

Perhaps they can make it work and are willing to leave early.

I wouldnt force them if push came to shove but no one said you couldn't discuss it with them. They may have options and be willing to be flexible.

If you have a decent relationship with them, I'd consider sharing with them and see what info you can gather.
Reply Up