Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just Curious, What Are Your Thoughts?
caregiver 01:17 PM 11-18-2014
I currently have been looking to replace a child in my daycare and have been noticing from ads especially on craig's list what parents are looking for in a daycare.
It just boggles my mind when I read ads that say they are looking for a daycare for their 9 month old that will teach them another language or will do crafts daily for their child now. Whoa, the child is only 9 months old, can't talk yet and certainly can not do crafts and a 9 month old has no interest in crafts,hec, they are just finding out they are alive at that age.

I just can't understand why parents want their child to do this stuff at only 9 months old. Don't they first have to know how to talk and talk english first before having to know another language and it is us providers that will have to do the craft for them as they can't do that yet for themselves.

Maybe it is just me, but it seems like parents today want their child to know things at such a young age,maybe so they can brag that their child is so smart. Sorry just had to vent from what I have been seeing what parents are looking for.
daycare 01:25 PM 11-18-2014
Originally Posted by care giver:
I currently have been looking to replace a child in my daycare and have been noticing from ads especially on craig's list what parents are looking for in a daycare.
It just boggles my mind when I read ads that say they are looking for a daycare for their 9 month old that will teach them another language or will do crafts daily for their child now. Whoa, the child is only 9 months old, can't talk yet and certainly can not do crafts and a 9 month old has no interest in crafts,hec, they are just finding out they are alive at that age.

I just can't understand why parents want their child to do this stuff at only 9 months old. Don't they first have to know how to talk and talk english first before having to know another language and it is us providers that will have to do the craft for them as they can't do that yet for themselves.

Maybe it is just me, but it seems like parents today want their child to know things at such a young age,maybe so they can brag that their child is so smart. Sorry just had to vent from what I have been seeing what parents are looking for.
I agree that parents are asking for crazy stuff like that often, but I think that is because they are not educated on what children in that age group are capable of doing.

Thats like the cat that paints art with a paintbrush, if you run out and get a cat and really think that that cat is going to paint you are joking yourself.

When parents tell me in interviews I want my 2 year old to read or write or whatever, I tell them your child will have access to learning phonics, books and learn about text print. I take a few minutes to educated them on what we will do to get them on that path, but its a process and not to expect immediate results.

As for second language you can learn one at anytime. I have kids here who speaks 3 different languages at the age of 2. Makes for a very interesting conversation. ANd yes that child is speech delayed, but I have no doubt she is going to catch up.

Don't be afraid to post your daycare or even contact these people...

I would just tell them yes babies love art and this is how we do it. It's called process art. Let them know that most art supplies are not SAFE for this age group. You don't wnat anyone pooping out googley eyes....lol
josie2014 02:01 PM 11-18-2014
Worse part they don't wanted to pay a price,they would pay for daycare center.
cheerfuldom 02:36 PM 11-18-2014
Most parents really mean that they want a structured learning environment for their child, not that they expect a 9 month old to put together a craft. Now the definition of "learning" can be anything from play-based to worksheets/parent please crafts. You have to figure out at an interview what the parents are actually expecting. Sometimes they even say something like "nurturing environment" or something vague and you find out later that what they really want is something totally different. If the days, hours and budget fit what you provide and you are looking for kids, it can't hurt to send an email directing to your website or however you approach parents. I have found that a huge majority of parents are not good at verbalizing what they expect for their child (or are plain out lying....thats a whole different issue.....)
daycare 03:40 PM 11-18-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Most parents really mean that they want a structured learning environment for their child, not that they expect a 9 month old to put together a craft. Now the definition of "learning" can be anything from play-based to worksheets/parent please crafts. You have to figure out at an interview what the parents are actually expecting. Sometimes they even say something like "nurturing environment" or something vague and you find out later that what they really want is something totally different. If the days, hours and budget fit what you provide and you are looking for kids, it can't hurt to send an email directing to your website or however you approach parents. I have found that a huge majority of parents are not good at verbalizing what they expect for their child (or are plain out lying....thats a whole different issue.....)
This is true.... I always ask parents what the expect from my program and I tell them at that time if its something that is even possible for not
Reply Up