Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any information on Ohio Family Child Care and HoAs?
Unregistered 07:25 AM 10-13-2015
I am in the process of opening an in home child care center. In Ohio you do not need to be licensed unless you plan on having more than 6 children. I will not be doing that. My HoA has a rule against running a business out of your residence. Exact wording is this: "G. Business - No industry, business, trade, occupation or profession of any kind may
be conducted, operated or established on the Property, without the prior written
approval of the Board. This provision shall not prohibit a “home office” use, in
connection with which no non-resident employees are working on the Property, and
no customers, employees, subcontractors or other third parties park on the
Property."

I know in some states In home centers are exempt. I can not find any information about Ohio. Does anyone know if I have any chance?
Blackcat31 07:49 AM 10-13-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am in the process of opening an in home child care center. In Ohio you do not need to be licensed unless you plan on having more than 6 children. I will not be doing that. My HoA has a rule against running a business out of your residence. Exact wording is this: "G. Business - No industry, business, trade, occupation or profession of any kind may
be conducted, operated or established on the Property, without the prior written
approval of the Board. This provision shall not prohibit a “home office” use, in
connection with which no non-resident employees are working on the Property, and
no customers, employees, subcontractors or other third parties park on the
Property."

I know in some states In home centers are exempt. I can not find any information about Ohio. Does anyone know if I have any chance?
Whether a fully licensed provider or just a regular babysitter that nets a small income you would still be a "business" and since your HOA prohibits you from running a business out of your home, I don't think you have a leg to stand on in going against that.

I'm sure that is not what you wanted to hear but from my understanding HOA's are tougher to fight than most government regulations.
Thriftylady 09:17 AM 10-13-2015
I am in Ohio and legally unlicensed. But I don't think you have a way around this. It seems air tight. This is why I will never leave with an HOA.
kendallina 05:52 PM 10-13-2015
Have you tried submitting a request for approval through the HOA?
KidGrind 06:51 AM 10-14-2015
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Have you tried submitting a request for approval through the HOA?
I would submit a request for approval from the HOA’s board.
Reply Up