Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Accidents Before Putting a Kid in Pullups?
NillaWafers 12:35 PM 03-18-2016
Yes, it's me, back again with another potty training question. DCG3 has been potty trained for a few months and has been doing really good. However, she has had two accidents in the past two weeks, so one a week. How many accidents in a week would there have to be before you would enforce 2 weeks in a pull-up?

I'm not going to tell her to wear them here right now, but I feel like if this keeps going I need to be prepared. I should probably also write the actual amount of accidents into my handbook, too.
childcaremom 01:46 PM 03-18-2016
One.

And then accident free for another month before I would attempt again. I might do only 2 weeks but that would be at my discretion.
daycare 02:40 PM 03-18-2016
For me it would depend on a lot of things.

any schedule changes for this child?
was it pee or poop

where were you when it happened?
is the child doing it to get attention?

ask yourself what is happening with this child before the accident happens.

it does take time to build up the self discipline for a child to remember to stop what they are doing and go to the toilet.

I would check in with the parents, see if there have been any changes, is this going on at home too.

If it were #2, sorry right back you go after one accident. I can't take any chances of this getting all over my home or the other kids.

if it were #1, I would just let it go and if it were one a week I would put the underwear on first then then the pull up.

some kids will, just use a pull up like a diaper if it is there.
NillaWafers 07:35 PM 03-18-2016
It was #1, and right before she got on the toilet. She put it off too long, I think.

That's why I feel comfortable saying it will take a few more times to put her in pull-ups since both times were when she was playing and distracted and definitely didn't want to stop and go potty. I don't remind them, however, cus I believe they should be listening to their body instead of waiting for me to say "Its time to go potty".
Unregistered 07:54 AM 03-20-2016
This is why I'm on the fence. I know with my kids and kids of family and friends, they don't really learn from being constantly in a pull up. As the previous poster said, a lot of children will just use it as a diaper. Even if it an accident, the sensation of wet underwear/poop underwear is worse than a pull up/diaper. Honestly, I keep them in pull ups until they trained because some children don't get trained until kinder (i.e. until they have to). IMO, if a child can't hold it, hold it long enough to make a short trip to the bathroom, remove their clothes to the degree of being able to go to the bathroom, can't clean themselves (even for bm, they don't wipe bm in kinder), and/or can't put the clothes back on own their own they are not potty trained. This is something I have conversations about my parents with. The most important thing I hit on, is I can't take a child that's wearing diapers at home and turn them into a child who can do all the things I listed here or at kinder. It's just not going to work. Just like I get some parents who think I can undress a child, sit them on a toilet, and basically keep them there until they go. Um, no. My children are adults now. I don't know where parents are getting these ideas that sitting on a toilet (while someone puts there with before and after prep) is potty trained? If they're so potty trained why are they in diapers/pull ups at home? Sorry, this is long, but this really amazes me. My children were fully potty trained at two years old. Are pediatricians really letting parents think it's normal for verbal and physically active kids to not be fully potty trained at 3 and over?
Unregistered 09:15 AM 03-21-2016
1 then 2 weeks dry
Play Care 10:31 AM 03-22-2016
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
It was #1, and right before she got on the toilet. She put it off too long, I think.

That's why I feel comfortable saying it will take a few more times to put her in pull-ups since both times were when she was playing and distracted and definitely didn't want to stop and go potty. I don't remind them, however, cus I believe they should be listening to their body instead of waiting for me to say "Its time to go potty".
I tend to give more leeway with a child who is doing well with potty training than I do with one who isn't, KWIM?

That said, accidents mean you lose the privilege of not using the potty when I tell you to go (fully potty trained kids can tell me they don't have to at our potty times - totally cool as long as they don't have accidents) I don't do timed intervals, but find there are times where it's just natural to get kids on the potty. This doesn't last long and I rarely have issues long term.
KidGrind 02:07 PM 03-22-2016
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
Yes, it's me, back again with another potty training question. DCG3 has been potty trained for a few months and has been doing really good. However, she has had two accidents in the past two weeks, so one a week. How many accidents in a week would there have to be before you would enforce 2 weeks in a pull-up?

I'm not going to tell her to wear them here right now, but I feel like if this keeps going I need to be prepared. I should probably also write the actual amount of accidents into my handbook, too.
My policy is 2 accidents within a two week period.
Ariana 07:50 PM 03-22-2016
I wouldn't bat an eyelash at two accidents in two weeks. It would have to be 2-3 accidents per week to warrant a pullup for me,
Tags:toilet training, toilet training - not
Reply Up