Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Policy Regarding Dr. Visits?
Snowbunny 10:54 AM 01-31-2017
I've am thinking of adding the following statement to my child illness policy:
Anytime your child is taken to the doctor/hospital, please get a physician-signed note stating the diagnosis and date which the child may return to daycare.

Your thoughts?
Play Care 11:18 AM 01-31-2017
Originally Posted by Snowbunny:
I've am thinking of adding the following statement to my child illness policy:
Anytime your child is taken to the doctor/hospital, please get a physician-signed note stating the diagnosis and date which the child may return to daycare.

Your thoughts?
NOOOOO!

Do not allow the doctor to tell you when the child can return to care! Doctors are notorious for thinking an illness isn't a "big" deal. They dispense those notes like candy. You wind up with a fussy, whiny, runny nosed, tired, crabby kiddo because "the DOCTOR said he can return!!!" In some cases with the return to care notes, parents have refused to pick up kids who really should be at home. "But the doctor said!!!"
I would ask for a diagnosis but I would make it clear that you will NOT accept a doctor's "return to care" note and that YOU will be the final decision maker as to if the child is well enough to be in care.
finsup 11:29 AM 01-31-2017
YOU decide!! Not the doctor! I've had a kid go to the doctor, with a fever, get diagnosed with a viral infection and got the "OK to go back to daycare" note. Um NO. Virus or not, my policy is fever over 100.4 you stay home. The parents were shocked I could override the doctor
Point being? If I had to go by what the doctor said, I would have had to deal with a cranky, sick child who needed rest and his mom. Most likely sharing his viral infection with everyone else. No thank you! My only policy on doctor's visits is if it's sick related they may not come for any part of the day. I've had a couple "he's got an appointment this afternoon to get his cough checked out, I'll pick him up at 1" ...Uh, no you won't
hgonzalez 12:03 PM 01-31-2017
I would ONLY ask for a diagnosis and also when the child will no longer be considered contagious. Also add: I will make a decision as to when a child with an illness can return to daycare, based on symptoms, diagnosis, ability to fully participate in our day and my ability to care for all of the children in my care while your child recovers from their illness.
CityGarden 12:29 PM 01-31-2017
I would not like that as a parent.... I would rather encourage parents to take their kids to the doctor and at least in my dd's doctor's office they charge $20 per note. If I take her for a physical or just to rule our is something is allergies vs cold and be a good parent I already have to pay the co-pay I would think adding that would discourage them taking child to the doctor.
Snowbunny 12:36 PM 01-31-2017
hgonzales, this is perfect!
Pestle 12:45 PM 01-31-2017
CityGarden, they aren't saying going to the doctor excludes a child from care--they're saying going to the doctor won't necessarily make care available immediately. If a child is sick at day care, they're getting sent home, whether or not the parent takes the child to see a doctor.
Snowbunny 12:55 PM 01-31-2017
Exactly, Pestle! Thanks for making that clear.
CityGarden 12:56 PM 01-31-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
CityGarden, they aren't saying going to the doctor excludes a child from care--they're saying going to the doctor won't necessarily make care available immediately. If a child is sick at day care, they're getting sent home, whether or not the parent takes the child to see a doctor.
I understand what you are saying however the OP says:

"Anytime your child is taken to the doctor/hospital, please get a physician-signed note stating the diagnosis and date which the child may return to daycare."

So as a parent reading that I take that to mean I could be taking a child for an annual physical and need a note....
hgonzalez 07:52 AM 02-01-2017
I will give you an example:

I had a 2 children from the same family diagnosed with Influenza on a Monday. They were sick with fevers that day, and the Mom said the children could return on Wednesday. She produced a doctor's note that said 'X and X will be well enough to return to care on Wednesday'.
It was my understanding that they would still be contagious and I had 2 infants in my care that were not vaccinated, so I was not comfortable with that. I looked at the pediatrician's website and it also said that children with Influenza could be contagious up to 10 days after showing symptoms.
Anyway, I asked for the note to include how long her children would be contagious. She would not produce it and terminated their contract with me.
Parents don't like this policy because they have to stay home with their sick kids longer. However, it does help to keep the illness from spreading.
spinnymarie 05:18 PM 02-01-2017
Our policy says children that have visited the doctor for an illness may not return to daycare for 24 hours AND symptoms have subsided.
Unregistered 08:35 PM 02-01-2017
Probably won't work. My childs peditrician office only has preprinted notes that say its ok to return to school. We parents fill in the date. Diagnosis would be a violation of Hippa on the note.
Blackcat31 07:23 AM 02-02-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Probably won't work. My childs peditrician office only has preprinted notes that say its ok to return to school. We parents fill in the date. Diagnosis would be a violation of Hippa on the note.
This in incorrect.

HIPAA rules applies to certain covered entities.
Covered entities are defined in the HIPAA rules as
(1) health plans,
(2) health care clearinghouses, and
(3) health care providers who electronically transmit any health information in connection with transactions for which HHS has adopted standards.

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-profes...ered-entities/
thrivingchildcarecom 08:31 AM 02-02-2017
I think that is a great line to add. Something else I have found helpful is to have the same type of reminder to send to them when ever a child leaves childcare sick.
daycarediva 10:35 AM 02-02-2017
Originally Posted by Play Care:
NOOOOO!

Do not allow the doctor to tell you when the child can return to care! Doctors are notorious for thinking an illness isn't a "big" deal. They dispense those notes like candy. You wind up with a fussy, whiny, runny nosed, tired, crabby kiddo because "the DOCTOR said he can return!!!" In some cases with the return to care notes, parents have refused to pick up kids who really should be at home. "But the doctor said!!!"
I would ask for a diagnosis but I would make it clear that you will NOT accept a doctor's "return to care" note and that YOU will be the final decision maker as to if the child is well enough to be in care.
THIS!

Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I understand what you are saying however the OP says:

"Anytime your child is taken to the doctor/hospital, please get a physician-signed note stating the diagnosis and date which the child may return to daycare."

So as a parent reading that I take that to mean I could be taking a child for an annual physical and need a note....

I would need an updated physical. You could add in something about 'for sick child pediatrician visits, urgent care, or ER visits...'

if my pediatrician was charging me $20/note, I would probably be finding a new pediatrician.
hgonzalez 11:01 AM 02-02-2017
I am attempting to upload a letter that I use if I ask a child to be seen by a physician. I hope this works!
This format was part of a Tom Copeland CD of documents that you can use for your business.

Health Care Referral (Autosaved).doc
Attached:
Tags:doctor, doctor visits, dr., sick policy
Reply Up