Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Well, I Messed Up
Msdunny 08:14 AM 04-08-2019
I have a family who paid late a couple of months ago. They always pay cash, and mom forgot it but brought it at pick-up. Fast forward to the past month when payment has been late every week. I knew I should have enforced my late payment policy, but gave them the benefit of the doubt. Dad just dropped off with the “I forgot my wallet” excuse. He is home today. Mom was supposed to be looking into electronic payments, but I think that was another excuse to put me off for a day. Why is this ok with people? (And before you answer, I know it is because I made it ok. ). I may just send a handbook reminder in my May newsletter.
Blackcat31 08:21 AM 04-08-2019
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
I have a family who paid late a couple of months ago. They always pay cash, and mom forgot it but brought it at pick-up. Fast forward to the past month when payment has been late every week. I knew I should have enforced my late payment policy, but gave them the benefit of the doubt. Dad just dropped off with the “I forgot my wallet” excuse. He is home today. Mom was supposed to be looking into electronic payments, but I think that was another excuse to put me off for a day. Why is this ok with people? (And before you answer, I know it is because I made it ok. ). I may just send a handbook reminder in my May newsletter.
we've all been there.....

I would send a quick text telling parents to make sure they bring $X (amount that's due) PLUS $x for the late fee AT pick up today or services will not be allowed tomorrow.

Short and sweet.

Then address late payments to all families in May newsletter.
Ariana 08:37 AM 04-08-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I would send a quick text telling parents to make sure they bring $X (amount that's due) PLUS $x for the late fee AT pick up today or services will not be allowed tomorrow.

Short and sweet.

Agreed! Also if you have a sign in/out sheet get a little frame to put notices in reminding of payment and late payment fees on payday.

So every payday have the sign that says “today is payday! Please pay by 5:30pm today. Late payments will accrue every hour after at $X rate. Thank you”

I give this kind of notice in my private FB page every payday.
CountryRoads 08:41 AM 04-08-2019
I made this mistake before with a former family. I let it slide once, and then it happened the again the next 2 months after.

I finally sent her a text and said something like "I can no longer accepts late payments. I will not be able to provide care until payment is made in full. I hope you understand."

She paid on time after that.
Josiegirl 09:38 AM 04-08-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
I made this mistake before with a former family. I let it slide once, and then it happened the again the next 2 months after.

I finally sent her a text and said something like "I can no longer accepts late payments. I will not be able to provide care until payment is made in full. I hope you understand."

She paid on time after that.
This.
Don't beat yourself up; I've done the same thing as you. Even though it is listed in your policies or contract, I think all of a sudden going from not charging late fees to charging late fees will make them question it and you. I would send a text like the one above and add that starting next week, if payments are late you will charge them XXX late fees as per your contract.
Hardest thing for me is enforcing my policies but if I don't, nobody else will.
littlefriends 10:20 AM 04-08-2019
We all let things slide with parents once in awhile knowing in the back of our mind we’ll probably pay for it later. Like others said that doesn’t mean you can’t right it now. Just text them that you need payment tonight, including late fees, and that from this point forward you will no longer accept the kiddo into care if payment is not up to date.
Cat Herder 10:28 AM 04-08-2019
Originally Posted by littlefriends:
We all let things slide with parents once in awhile knowing in the back of our mind we’ll probably pay for it later. Like others said that doesn’t mean you can’t right it now. Just text them that you need payment tonight, including late fees, and that from this point forward you will no longer accept the kiddo into care if payment is not up to date.
And after enough times we get comfortable with enforcing things consistently. It takes some time to correct a lifetime of being told to "be nice" and realize that being nice does not mean being walked over.
Mom2Two 11:55 AM 04-08-2019
Originally Posted by littlefriends:

My first family left owing me money and that's when I began charging in advance.

I bill by Venmo on Friday evenings and I charge a late fee on Sunday afternoon if I haven't received payment. My policy is to not accept children into care Monday morning if the payment wasn't made by 9pm Sunday night.

I haven't ever had to turn anyone away on Monday morning for non-payment, but I am prepared to do it. It's a matter of which form of pain I would rather live with. And the pain of letting people walk all over you is worse to me than the pain of ditching those people.
AmyKidsCo 12:53 PM 04-08-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Short and sweet.

Yep, BTDT. One thing I've done is written a note to the parent saying that in the past the late fee has been waived, but starting on X date it will be charged. Then I attached a list of all the dates that payment was late with the late fee crossed out and "waived" written next to it.
284878 09:14 PM 04-08-2019
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Yep, BTDT. One thing I've done is written a note to the parent saying that in the past the late fee has been waived, but starting on X date it will be charged. Then I attached a list of all the dates that payment was late with the late fee crossed out and "waived" written next to it.
I like this. I might even attach wavied late fee of xx in their end of the year receipt.
knoxmomof2 08:12 AM 04-09-2019
I don't want late fees, I want to me paid on time and not have to discuss it for the rest of the week. I have a deadline of Sunday night by 9 PM. I only accept electronic payment. I only have 4 dck, so I check my account at 8:50 and if someone hasn't paid, I text them to remind them. It would be nice if they would just remember it, but it takes me 2 seconds and it's taken care of. I've never had someone not pay me after that. They're told at the interview that they will not be allowed to drop off until the payment is made. If they didn't pay by drop off, they would be sent home. At that point, they have no excuse and I wouldn't feel a bit bad about making them turn around and go home or pull out their phone and make a payment. They remembered to bring their child to my house, how can they forget to pay me?

When I started, I waited for payment a lot and I felt so uncomfortable asking for it. This board helped me a lot AND being tired of being taken for granted did the rest.
tenderhearts 12:20 PM 04-09-2019
I did the same thing with a family I currently have. Although there's wasn't late every week but at least twice a month, I let it go on for a couple of months and then I finally just told them that I have been very lenient on your late payments but next time I am going to need to start charging the late fee, they complied and I haven't had an issue since and that was over a year ago. It's the same family that the dad apparently saw an invisible curve in my drive way as he would come in on the far side the turn into the other side and block the whole driveway.
ardeur 12:27 PM 04-10-2019
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I use Brightwheel for invoicing and payments. I usually waive the first late fee but I don't let it go unspoken and this is how: Brightwheel allows me to create and send the parents an itemized invoice for late fees and it also allows me to give any discount of my choosing. I create a line item for the total late fee and another line item showing a 100% discount of said late fee with a note stating this was their one-time waiver. I send parents the $0 invoice and that gives them a clear, professional message.
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency
Reply Up