Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Playing Outside With Broken Arm
pigletsmommy 10:08 AM 08-03-2010
I have a 4 yr old dcb with a broken arm. He has a cast from hand to elbow.

If this child was brought to your home how much would you let him do outside?

Obviously anything to do with water is out. No sprinklers or wading pools. I tried to let him play in the sand box but that was a mess and a major pain to clean. One of the biggest problems that we seem to have is our bouncer. We have one of those large blow up bouncers that 2-3 children can get in at a time. I have not allowed him to go in because I'm afraid he may hurt himself more or hurt other children. His mom told me the other day that his dr said he can do anything he was doing before except water. I think she was telling me to let him in it. I just don't feel comfortable. So he sits and cries while the other's are in it... should I just take it down and not let anyone in it?

He's on vacation next week & I'm looking forward to not having to worry about hurt feelings...

On a side note, this whole situation has been frustrating since the beginning. He fell off a swing on a Sunday & they brought him to me on Monday. DcD told me at drop off that he got hurt but they didn't think it was serious. Within an hour I noticed he was not using that arm & holding it close to his body. He told me it hurt to lay his hand on the cement while we played with sidewalk chalk. It felt slightly swollen to me. I texted dcm & said I thought it was broken. They took him to dr in afternoon and sure enough it was. I just can't believe they brought this child to me with a broken arm. What if he had fallen here? A small fracture could have turned into a major break. I'm still shaking my head over this one.
Lilbutterflie 10:18 AM 08-03-2010
Wow, it is crazy that the parents didn't think anything of taking him to daycare like that! Sometimes with kids you just don't know, but you have to observe them (like you did) to see if it's serious or not. If there is ever any question, it's our jobs as parents to get it checked out!! UGH!!
If I were you, I would ask for a doctor's note describing exactly what he can and can't do. That way if Dr. says he can do the activities, you are covered. My daughter broke her wrist last year while attending preschool, and while she had her cast on, the Dr. said she could go outside & play on their equipment, but "take it easy" (he wasn't very specific). And of course, no water play.
safechner 11:19 AM 08-03-2010
Oh my goodness! It happened to me once. About two years ago, the daycare dad brought him here and told me he is hurting on his shoulder from fall from the chair at the park on the weekend. He said it is not serious so I looked at him so I knew it is broken. Afternoon, he picked him up and I told him to bring him to the doctor because it is BROKEN so he took my advice. The next day, he took him to the doctor and found the shoulder is broken so he have to wear brace for three weeks or so. He brought him back in here and told me, "Thank you." I am so glad I learned from my grandma who used to be a nurse. Last year, my daughter got finger broken from cart wheel in the living room with her daddy for fun when I told my husband we are not allowed to do this in the house while I was cleaning up the kitchen. He said no it is fine because he knows I think it was bad luck. After what happened, he heard "POP" and she tried to scream but it is hardly to get it out about 1 or 2 mins then she finally screamed. I was so mad at my husband. About 30 mins later, I noticed it so I knew it is broken so he thought it wasn't serious so I took her to urgent care so they found her finger is broken but good thing it is not all the way broken. The next day, I took her to Orthopedic so he put her cast on. So my husband felt bad about it, haha. It was scary. He learned a lesson..

My daughter can play anything but it is only careful. I think it is ok for him to go play with careful.
nannyde 11:25 AM 08-03-2010
Originally Posted by pigletsmommy:
I have a 4 yr old dcb with a broken arm. He has a cast from hand to elbow.

If this child was brought to your home how much would you let him do outside?

Obviously anything to do with water is out. No sprinklers or wading pools. I tried to let him play in the sand box but that was a mess and a major pain to clean. One of the biggest problems that we seem to have is our bouncer. We have one of those large blow up bouncers that 2-3 children can get in at a time. I have not allowed him to go in because I'm afraid he may hurt himself more or hurt other children. His mom told me the other day that his dr said he can do anything he was doing before except water. I think she was telling me to let him in it. I just don't feel comfortable. So he sits and cries while the other's are in it... should I just take it down and not let anyone in it?

He's on vacation next week & I'm looking forward to not having to worry about hurt feelings...

On a side note, this whole situation has been frustrating since the beginning. He fell off a swing on a Sunday & they brought him to me on Monday. DcD told me at drop off that he got hurt but they didn't think it was serious. Within an hour I noticed he was not using that arm & holding it close to his body. He told me it hurt to lay his hand on the cement while we played with sidewalk chalk. It felt slightly swollen to me. I texted dcm & said I thought it was broken. They took him to dr in afternoon and sure enough it was. I just can't believe they brought this child to me with a broken arm. What if he had fallen here? A small fracture could have turned into a major break. I'm still shaking my head over this one.
For the sand: Get a long sleeved oversized t-shirt and sew up the sleeves at the bottom of the wrist just on the side that the arm is broken. Put that on him over his clothes. This will keep his cast completely covered and he can play sand with the other hand.
kitkat 11:48 AM 08-03-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
For the sand: Get a long sleeved oversized t-shirt and sew up the sleeves at the bottom of the wrist just on the side that the arm is broken. Put that on him over his clothes. This will keep his cast completely covered and he can play sand with the other hand.
Great idea, Nannyde! A past dcb broke his arm in the winter. Dr said to not get it wet and take it easy. He even still played out in the snow! To keep the cast dry, mom had me put a plastic bag over the cast, then his coat on, and then a super huge ski mitten.

As far as the bouncer, I'd be pretty cautious about that. I think you're right, he could fall, hurt himself, or hurt another child. Even if mom and dr said it was ok, I don't think I'd let him do that activity. The bouncer kind of seems like a no win situation for everyone. Honestly, I would close it down for everyone. I know that's not fair to everyone else, but it also sucks to be the one sitting out and not being able to play in it (speaking from experience: broke my collar bone at ages 4 and 13). Perhaps you can find a new activity that they could all do to replace the bouncer for the time being.
JenNJ 12:01 PM 08-03-2010
I would take down the bouncer. It seems mean tomake this little guy sit on the sidelines from no fault of his own. Otherwise Iw ould let him play whatever he is up to. I know a broken arm wouldnt slow down my 4 year old son.
DCMom 12:02 PM 08-03-2010
I agree with all the suggestions. I think he should do what he feels comfortable doing~all except the bouncer, I agree with Jen, I probably wouldn't use it while he was getting used to having the cast and what he can do or not do.

The other thought I had was~thank goodness it didn't happen at YOUR house!
pigletsmommy 12:25 PM 08-03-2010
Thanks for all the advice. I'll be looking for a long sleeve shirt for him for the sandbox to sew up 2nite.

And DCMom, your right... so relieved this did not happen here! From what I understand he was jumping on the swingset...like running up to a swing & then jumping into the swing on his belly. Well apparently he missed & fell on his arm. Its definitely something that could have happened anywhere!

I may take the bouncer down while he is here. I just have a hard time because it seems unfair to everyone else. I usually let them in it in the morning before it gets too hot, but I may just change that to a late afternoon thing. He leaves around 4pm anyway.

Luckily this is all short term. He is on vacation next week, back for a week, then school starts. YIPPEE!
melskids 03:13 PM 08-03-2010
Originally Posted by pigletsmommy:

And DCMom, your right... so relieved this did not happen here! From what I understand he was jumping on the swingset...like running up to a swing & then jumping into the swing on his belly. Well apparently he missed & fell on his arm. Its definitely something that could have happened anywhere!

OMG! my dc kids do that here all the time!!! not anymore
Tags:injuries
Reply Up