Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Looking Good
melissa ann 01:24 PM 04-02-2011
Yesterday, dcm told me that April 30, will be her last day at her job. They did offer her a pay cut, but she refused. She thinks she will get 80% of her pay on unemployment. Is that right? That seems high to me. Anyway, she still wants to keep bringing the kids 3 days (my min) because eventually she will get a job, she says. And she doesn't want to lose her spots. However, her dad (the famous g-pa) pays me and knocks it off his rent that he would pay her. He will not pay for me to watch the kids if she is home. I'm thinking, I better start advertising. She was even saying about taking the summer off so she can do thinks with her kids. I know no time is a good time to lose kids, but this really is not a good time. I could be losing 2 kids. However, if I do replace them, my other family pays me $2 more/day since I raised my current rate for all new families after I lost one child last summer so I could make more money with new clients. What gets me is that I got a call the other week about childcare for 2 kids, part time. But right now, I have only one spot available. Why can't we even know things in advance of actually knowing it? That would come in handy.
jen 02:09 PM 04-02-2011
I think it is closer to 69% and that is if she doesn't have taxes taken...which, in my opinion is a big mistake.

Also, I'm not sure she'll get unemployment if she refuses the paycut...if she does, that seems odd to me.
cheerfuldom 02:55 PM 04-02-2011
yeah that whole scenario seems really sketchy. Are you on good enough terms with the grandpa to straight ask what is going on on his end? Has the mom committed for sure one way or another? That just puts you in a really bad spot because I am assuming she is still current on payment and so it's hard to know what she will actually do and if you will actually have those spots open or not. No, I do not think that she will be receiving in unemployment what she thinks she will.
MN Day Mom 04:45 PM 04-02-2011
It will depend upon how much of a pay cut they asked her to take if UE with deny her or not I think. Hopefully she checked this out before turning down their offer.

Regarding Grandpa... why wouldn't he continue to pay for care if it is in exchange for his rent? Otherwise wouldn't he just have to pay her rent directly and then she could pay you??
Abigail 08:43 PM 04-02-2011
The dcm still has a month before her job ends, maybe she will find a job by then? I think you should re-do her contract when she switches to part time with higher rates so you'll still get your pay raise as if they're a new client. As long as they pay in advance and you're firm about not providing care if the weekly rate isn't paid prior to care you should be fine. Keep the lines of communication open.
momatheart 06:40 AM 04-03-2011
I agree redo her contract and make her set her days that you will do care.

Tell her payment is due prior to the week of care. So instead of monday morning brining in payment for the week she pays Friday for the week prior. If no payment no care.

Here is why I say payment due on Friday before services are given for the week prior is she is in for a rude of wakening regarding unemployment and she will see how little money she does have to work with and I have a feeling she will pull on you.
melissa ann 05:49 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by MN Day Mom:

Regarding Grandpa... why wouldn't he continue to pay for care if it is in exchange for his rent? Otherwise wouldn't he just have to pay her rent directly and then she could pay you??
He does not like paying me if no service was provided. When I redid my handbook last year and eliminated a free vacation week. I went to 1/2 of reg rate is to be paid for up to 2 weeks of vacation and after that reg rates apply. He signed the contract. Well, a few weeks later, 2 of the kids went on a vacation and I charged him. He called me and complained. I explained it was in the handbook, he signed the new agreement etc. Well, a few weeks later, he gave notice to the grandkid he adopted. I still have the other 2.
AfterSchoolMom 05:57 AM 04-04-2011
Wow, Melissa Ann, I can't believe you're STILL dealing with this G-pa! For some reason I thought you termed them long ago. Sorry to hear about this. I hope you're able to get a GREAT new family - you deserve it after all of the garbage you've been through with these folks.
melissa ann 04:04 AM 04-09-2011
Okay, I"ve been trying to talk to mom about her situation, but she's been rushing out as soon as she drops of the kids. G-pa picks up the kids. I don't know if he would tell me anything. In my April newsleetter I put it that I will be closed a day due to a school activitiy with my daughter, and mom laughed, don't matter, I won't be working. I dont' get this. When she was on maternity leave, she couldn't wait to get back to work and went back when baby was 5 weeks because staying at home drove her nuts.
Live and Learn 07:14 AM 04-09-2011
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
her dad (the famous g-pa) pays me and knocks it off his rent that he would pay her. He will not pay for me to watch the kids if she is home.
OK..... I am confused!

If g-pa is paying rent to her what say does g-pa have in her daycare arrangements?

If I was this dc Momma I would be saying "Fine g-pa don't pay my daycare bill....just pay me the rent you owe me and I will pay for my own flippin' daycare bill!"

Good luck!
cheerfuldom 07:49 AM 04-09-2011
You need to get control of the situation. Stop letting her leave quickly. Figure out exactly what you require to keep working with them, write a letter so theres not confusion and don't let her leave without handing it to her. Give her a time limit on the letter and verbally where she has to let you know by otherwise you will fill the spot.
melissa ann 10:07 AM 04-09-2011
At her old job, it was rare for me to see her, because she would start real early and stay after my closing time. so her dad would pay and she wouldn't pay him back so he takes it off his rent. I know, not my problem.
Reply Up