Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Allow This Kind of Play?
Lianne 06:39 AM 02-25-2011
I have three girls here today (ages 5, 5 and 4yrs old) who are playing a fantastic game of house. Lots of imagination, getting along well, etc. Right now they are using stuffed animals and the receiving blankets (they use the blankets to create costumes usually) and putting them inside their shirts, pretending to be pregnant. Then they lay down, pull the stuffed toy/blanket out of their shirt and the baby is 'born'. They're not pulling their clothing up or down and no one is touching the others inappropriately. We've recently learned that two families are expecting which is sparking the kids' interest in having babies, I guess. For some reason I'm uncomfortable with this game but I'm thinking it's my adult brain putting an adult spin on having babies. I'm not sure why, they aren't doing anything wrong, but I keep having to stop myself from asking them to play another game.

So, would you allow this kind of play to happen in your care?
daycare 06:43 AM 02-25-2011
Yes of course. It's a natural part of life and as long as it's kind play I see nothing wrong with it. Let them be kids
KEG123 06:43 AM 02-25-2011
Yes. I would allow it. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.
Zoe 06:46 AM 02-25-2011
I think as long as they aren't "teaching" each other things that younger kids aren't ready to learn yet, then it's just fine! Sounds like the clean version to me!
nannyde 06:50 AM 02-25-2011
No
I don't allow them to put any toys under or in their clothing. It wouldn't have anything to do with the game. Just a house rule.
nikia 06:56 AM 02-25-2011
I think its okay, I know what you mean about adult brain putting a spin it, but it doesnt sound like they know more than they should.

I had a little girl once 10 years ago I used to babysit for, her mom would let her watch Scary Movie, the spoof on all the scary movies in the 90's, very inappropriate and sexual in nature, anyway child was 3 and she would put pillows on top of her and make a humping action It was quite sickening and sad.

So rest easy I think you are safe with the type of play they are doing.
squareone 06:57 AM 02-25-2011
Since they are not being inappropriate with it I would allow it. Especially since some of their moms are expecting. It's a totally normal part of play. Just be prepared for some "Where do babies come from?" questions LOL.

Also, be proactive have a plan for when they pretend to nurse their babies. I wouldn't necessarily discourage but would make sure they know to keep their shirts down and bodies covered whenever they are pretending.
SilverSabre25 07:50 AM 02-25-2011
Yep, absolutely fine and completely normal!
jen 07:52 AM 02-25-2011
Well, here is my experience....one of my daycare Mom's allowed her children to watch Baby Story. Before I knew it, the game escalated to her little girl laying on the ground simulating birth...
Live and Learn 10:03 AM 02-25-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Yep, absolutely fine and completely normal!
If it escalates to inappropriate touching or talk then it needs to stop....
sweet lil things!
ammama 10:13 AM 02-25-2011
The girls I watch do that on a regular basis. I'm expecting, as is one of their mom's, so they are really interested in babies right now I'm sure once the baby is born, and i'm breastfeeding, they will be 'breastfeeding' their babies too That's what happened last time!
WImom 10:57 AM 02-25-2011
I would allow it as long as it stayed the way you explained it.
Crystal 11:56 AM 02-25-2011
yes, I would.
MNmamaOf4 12:07 PM 02-25-2011
Sure, why not? They aren't doing inappropriate things like touching, taking their clothes off, etc. I don't see a big deal with it. My almost 6 year old always pretends she's pregnant when they play house.
Sunny Day 01:31 PM 02-25-2011
I would totally allow it! I get why you might feel slightly uncomfortable with it, but I'm sure its totally innocent! I think kids playing that kind of stuff is the same as any other situation--they're learning, my 3 year old puts stuffed toys up her shirt and gets so excited saying she's having a baby (I'm currently pregnant) I would get right down there and help them welcome there new babies--make birth certificates and pretend gifts, etc! Have fun!!
melissa ann 02:33 PM 02-25-2011
I would allow it. My daughter used to walk around with a stuffed toy under her shirt when I was pregnant. She was 2. She also had back pain and needed her feet massaged: ) Sometimes the girls I have now (3 & 4 yrs) will do it.
Right now my dd who is 6 talks about marrying this boy or that boy. Everyday is a different boy. Depending on how the boys behaved at school
Well, my ds who is 3 will say about marrying someone, ususally a boy's name. His sister will tell him you can't marry a boy, you have to marry a girl. Then he says, but you are marrying a boy. So she says, I"m a girl. I marry a boy. Boys marry girls. To me it's no big deal.(Please, no political correctness here, we are just talking about toddlers) He just wants to do what his sister says/does. So for girls pretending to be pregnant is just normal behavior since you have moms that are expecting.
Reply Up