Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interviewing at the Parents Home
Country Kids 01:10 PM 07-21-2011
I was thinking about this when reading some posts today. We always go on what the parents say that the child does at home. Have any of you ever thought of doing an interview with the parents at their home. Have one at the childcare and then one at their house. That way you can see how they live (will the kids constantly be dirty), probably get an idea of how they eat, where the child sleeps, etc. I'm thinking I may start doing this. It may solve some of the mysteries that we are taking the parents word for.

Also, I read some different posts where one child has trouble being around other children-crying, needing held, not sharing, etc. Do you do interviews when you have other children there. This is one reason I do interviews during hours because if I get a child that clings to the parent, bullys my other children, crys during the whole thing or comes in carrying candy right there I pretty much know its not a good fit.
CheekyChick 01:49 PM 07-21-2011
That is a great idea, but I already spend many Saturdays interviewing potential new families and would hate to spend another day going to their homes as well. Since I usually spend an hour or two with each new family, that gives me a fairly accurate idea of what the child/family is about.
nannyde 03:28 PM 07-21-2011
I don't need the other kids around to tell how the kid is going to be. I can see that within a few minutes.

I feeeeeeeel it in my bones. With the little babies I can feel it when I hold them. I can tell a LOT within a few minutes of holding them. With older kids I can tell just by watching them scoot or walk around. I can tell how they are with me... and around their parents. I've been wrong a few times but most times I can nail it within minutes.

Human babies are more alike than different. With each kid I see the ones who have come before. It's just a matter of checking that database and seeing where the kid lies within what I know. Now and then you get something you haven't seen before ... and that's AWESOME... but for the most part they are very very much alike.

Home visits... nah what happens at home stays at home. I don't ever think about that. If something comes to my door that is a direct result of homelife and it really affects me then I want to know what's up at home. That doesn't happen very often.

I don't want to get THAT personal with them. I've been invited over a few times and most times I decline. The few times I have gone over to their house it WAS really fun and I'm glad I did it but I wouldn't do that with stranger parents.
Auntie 03:45 PM 07-21-2011
Humm interesting I never thought of it.

Then again children can act naughty in their own homes when company comes over. The parent may be reluctant to discipline. Where as in YOUR home you can stop unacceptable behavior if the parent doesn't.
sharlan 03:50 PM 07-21-2011
Interesting concept, but I don't think I would feel comfortable doing it.
Meeko 04:05 PM 07-21-2011
When I interview at MY place...I am in control. I decide whether or not to take child.

I think if a provider went to a parents home, it would be more like going to a nanny interview and they may feel more like they are hiring someone rather than simply choosing to use the providers services. Many of us have already dealt with parents who wrongly think we work for them. I think being in THEIR home would accentuate that feeling in some parents.

Others may feel we are just being nosy and feel uncomfortable having THEIR home inspected. As providers. we are used to our homes being scrutinized,,,they aren't.

If they ARE slobs...they may clean up knowing you're coming, so you won't get a true picture of their family life.

But if you do it, let us know how it goes! I must admit i am intrigued!
cheerfuldom 06:53 PM 07-21-2011
Nanny do you feel like you really go by your gut or do you think there are tell tale signs that you look for?
nannyde 07:03 PM 07-21-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Nanny do you feel like you really go by your gut or do you think there are tell tale signs that you look for?
For the kids or the parents?

Kids are pretty easy to feel out right away. I'm seldom fooled. Adults aren't so easy but I can sense a few things after a few hours with them. I CAN'T do it over the phone though. I'm not good at that at all. I rarely envision them to be like what they are like when they come here.

With babies I can feel a lot by just holding them. I can tell a lot about their development once I get them in my hands. I can tell if they have feeding issues, growth issues, gas issues, motiion addicts, etc. I can feel if they are calm natured or frentic. It just comes from thousands of hours of having their "kind" in my hands.

Babies KNOW when they are in the hands of experience. They don't always WANT the hands of experience but they know. The calm ones receive it ... the ones that are more "sparky" reject it but learn to receive it. Just takes longer to get them to go native. I can tell what work is cut out for me within a few minutes of having a baby in my hands. Sometimes within seconds.
Country Kids 09:23 PM 07-21-2011
The only reason I was thinking about all this is because I wonder if we did this if we could nip some of the problems right away. The way some of these children are descriped on the post (dirty, dirty clothes, stinky) I doubt the parents would be able to totally clean up the house and leave no tell tale sign that they have problems keeping up the laundry. If you saw there wasn't a crib, bassinet, etc. you would probably see that these children cosleep with parents and will have problems at nap. I have one little one that has no outside yard to play in so I know that he needs lots of outdoor time and free play when we go outside. I know where they live though and know about the yard situation.

A past client of mine worked at a school and was telling me that a little girl came in late and was crying because she missed her reading time and receiving a prize for completing her reading or something. Anyway they said its ok you can still pick a prize and her reply was "is the toothbrush still there?" Come to find out the little one didn't have one at home and wanted to pick it out of the prize box so she could have one. She had never told anyone but who would have thought that a child wouldn't have a toothbrush.

When I was a child the school I attended did parent conferences at the home. The school and teachers felt this was the best way for the teachers to get to really know the family and see how the child lived and functioned outside of the home. They learned things that they never would have learned but just staying in the classroom. Kids don't always talk and there maybe a serious problem but no one would know unless they visited the home.

Anyway this was all just a thought and something I may consider in the future. I will be full this fall but may do this if in the future I have to interview new clients.
mom2many 10:12 PM 07-21-2011
This is actually something I'd never thought of, but it would be very insightful seeing how a prospective client lived! I so agree it would provide a great perspective into who this family really was and bring a clear vision into what issues might arise!
squareone 06:11 AM 07-22-2011
but as a parent I would never allow a provider to come to my house to interview me in my home. I think it's appropriate when interviewing for a nanny position but not an in-home daycare. I would really have no idea what she is there to evaluate (my cleanliness, how much house I can afford, my kids' behavior at home, etc.) It would just come off as just being extra nosey and I would politely decline and just keep looking for another provider. I agree with nan that what happens at home stays at home.

Along the same lines, I do not allow prospective clients to view areas of my home that are not part of the daycare. I see it as just plain nosey and will politely decline their request. It's none of their business since their child will never be in those areas.
littlemissmuffet 10:30 AM 07-22-2011
Kids don't act the same at home as they do at daycare. I know this for a fact because when I give the kid's daily verbal reports at the end of the day the parents the parents always wonder how I can control them all. I also know from how each and every one of my childrens' demeaner change as the walk in the door... they know there are rules here and they WILL be adhered to - they know that I am in control of the house and that I will be listened to, respected and so will my home and house rules.

So no home visits for me. What goes on at home stays at home unless it directly affects me and how I run my business.
nannyde 10:49 AM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
So no home visits for me. What goes on at home stays at home unless it directly affects me and how I run my business.
See above
Tags:interview, interview - parent's home
Reply Up