Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>HELP- DCK Accident- What to Tell Mom?
jojosmommy 12:59 PM 07-27-2011
3 yr old dck pooped everywhere- completely covered himself at nap. Hugest mess I have ever seen. He went in the shower b/c there was nothing else I could do outside of hose him off. The whole process woke up everyone else at daycare, stunk up my basement and probably ruined a daycare nap mat-still working on that.

So, my question is: Do I make him go back in pull ups/dipapers for 2 weeks or assume this is a one time thing?

He has never pooped here- ever. And mom says he still poops in undies at home.

I am not EVER going to clean up a mess like this again and I am pretty sure mom will throw the clothes away they are so terrible so how do I make a point that this is not normal daycare duties? This mom is a total pain in my behind as it is so I KNOW she will make a fuss about the whole thing and turn it into "oh my poor child...."
Auntie 01:08 PM 07-27-2011
Well if it is diarehea then it may be a one time ordeal. I think I would wait to see if this becomes a pattern of his. I would assume a one time thing.
Cat Herder 01:11 PM 07-27-2011
Did he put his hands in it and spread it around purposefully??
familyschoolcare 01:12 PM 07-27-2011
the health and safety guide lines put out by the count I am in say that if the poop can not be contained in a diaper/underwear then the child must be sent home (and remain their until can poop contained for at-least 24 hours)regardless to wither or not it is runny. This might give you something beside you not wanting t clean up the mess to "blame" in an honest way. Tell the parent that for the health and safety of her child, and the other children in care this can not happen again and if it does you will call her and have the child picked up. Then let the parent deiced wither or not to put the child in pull ups or risk it our what.
KEG123 01:13 PM 07-27-2011
Pull ups for naps. And yeah, was it because maybe he's sick and needs to go home?
Blackcat31 01:15 PM 07-27-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Did he put his hands in it and spread it around purposefully??
That ^^ is the deciding factor.
grandmom 01:49 PM 07-27-2011
I would put it all in a bag and tie it up, then add a pair of disposable gloves and leave it all outside. Check with your health dept. I am forbidden from rinsing it out. I just remind parents of that as I apologize to them that they must take it home to rinse it out. The smell and mess with speak for itself.

Pullups for nap for a couple days would be good insurance.
daycare 01:59 PM 07-27-2011
if that happened at my house they would be back in pull ups for two weeks. BTDT and I know how you feel. It's the worst.

I had to expalin to the parents the situation that it puts me in as a provider by having to pull out harmful chemicals to clean it up, contain the other kids from being exposed to it, it takes my time away from caring for the group . it is very unsanitary and it cost me $ to have to get the carpet cleaned.. It puts all of the DCK at risk as well by being exposed to the stool and chemicals....
wdmmom 01:59 PM 07-27-2011
Any accident during nap consistutes them to go back into pull-ups. They need to remain accident free for 4 full weeks. Then I will allow underwear.

If this boy smeared/rubbed/whatever all over, he'd be spending those 4 weeks solid in a pull up.
TBird 02:35 PM 07-27-2011
I'm a bit "hard core" when it comes to potty training. It takes a lot for me to go backwards especially if it was the first time. It could have been upset stomach, gas, etc.

I hate when that happens though and I'm always concerned that the parents will think I didn't want to soak the clothes. I let them know that it's against regulation here to launder soiled clothing. Secretly.....I'm kinda glad.
Reply Up