Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sippy cups
erinalexmom 05:58 AM 09-29-2011
For my little ones who spill alot I let them use sippy cups. This is because daycare is in the main area of my house and I would go crazy from spill after spill in my dining room. However, I have a couple who seem to "depend" on the cup sort of like a bottle for comfort. Does anyone else notice this with thier kids? Parents seem proud when they break them from the bottle but I dont always see a difference in the childs behavior. I see them replace the dependance on the bottle to dependence on a sippy. I dont allow drinks outside of the dining room but I have one especially who would spend all day in the dining room sucking on her cup. Do you ever limit them on the cups? even if they are technically following the "rules" about keeping it where it belongs?
Cat Herder 06:07 AM 09-29-2011
What do you have in the cup that is accesible all day?
godiva83 07:25 AM 09-29-2011
I use sippy cups for snack and lunch only filled with milk- if they are thirsty thru out the day it is a regular cup with water that I help those who need help with!
I never let a child use a sippy cup all day as a comforting tool- I believe it is not needed and can cause damage to teeth
However, I never let a child go thirsty I feel kids should have access to drinks when they need it especially water
GotKids 07:50 AM 09-29-2011
I only allow cups at the table. They get milk in their cups at meals and snack and water during the day if they are thirsty. Even my littles (12 months) understand that the cup stays at the table. I have noticed over the years that a kid who has a sippy cup all day to carry and drink seem to have a harder time with potty training.
Auntie 08:57 AM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by GotKids:
I only allow cups at the table. They get milk in their cups at meals and snack and water during the day if they are thirsty. Even my littles (12 months) understand that the cup stays at the table. I have noticed over the years that a kid who has a sippy cup all day to carry and drink seem to have a harder time with potty training.
good point on the potty training.
mismatchedsocks 09:05 AM 09-29-2011
I notice about the potty training too. I have one that comes with sippy cup EVERY morning, it stays in cubby until I grab it and wash it, then back in cubby with NO drink in it. I dont think the kids need drinks on way over here and on way home unless they will be gone all night or something. This boy is SOAKED all morning from whatever he drinks all morning at home.

Here I offer drinks in "sippys" ( they have no valve but do have tops ) if they need it at meal times AT the table. If they want something to drink in between they have to ask then I will get it for them, but they have to sit at table. I dont have liquid sitting out for each child all day. That is asking for accidents with potty and dependant on it. I start this at 12 months.
Tags:sippy cup, water consumtion
Reply Up