Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Is This Sensory Processing Disorder?

16m dcb had been with me 8 months- its been so trying since day one. I don't want to get into all the issues- the basics are freaking out if my same age son touches him, crying when we go outside, crying if mud gets on his shoe, generally tantruming most of the time over tiny things- etc. We have good days and I feel like we've come a little ways, but we have days like today where I can not provide him any relief or comfort from red-faced shreaking and crying. The only thing that works is the put him in his crib and shut the door. Then he's completely happy alone. Does this sound like SPD? What are some solutions to help him relax and ENJOY the day and our activities? My normal reaction is cuddles, but that doesnt work! Dcp say they ignore the tantrums, but IMO it really sets him off even more.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:21 AM

Well, only a doctor or therapist could actually diagnose a condition, but that being said, it does not exactly sound like SPD, no.

Here is a website with a lot of information on SPD: http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/
Old 01-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
Well, only a doctor or therapist could actually diagnose a condition, but that being said, it does not exactly sound like SPD, no.

Here is a website with a lot of information on SPD: http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/
Thanks for the link-the definition seems somewhat broad, he has some of these. I just really want to find a solution for this guy. He's so miserable all the time, and I'm going deaf.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Does noise, touch, or brightness bother him? If you could narrow it down, even if he doesn't have a disorder, you might be able to provide him some relief.

IE: If the noise level seems to bother him, then how about trying some ear muffs or headphones? Sunglasses for light, or both?

THe only thing is, at 16 months, he may not get the cause-and-effect yet, so he may not leave them on, even if they help. My dc twins would take off their mittens, then cry because their hands were cold... lol
Old 01-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

he could just be a naturally grumpy and sensitive kid. I have had a few kids like that. They just cannot tolerate anything although they aren't being bad as in destructive or disrespectful. If it makes you feel any better, I have a 2.5 year old that did this type of thing really bad until about 2 years old, its much better now though. I think I big part of it was that her parents did not take her anywhere. She has never been in their backyard even (according to mom). No one comes over, they don't socialize her at all on their own time and she is left to play alone by herself. Neither mom or dad really even talk to her very much. The drastic change from home to daycare life was really hard on her and she would just panic. in this particular case, it was better for us to just expect the same thing from her as from any other kid and stop tip toeing around her or coddling her in any way. We would make a big deal should she happily sit next to someone, use her words or other things out of her norm.

Tags
sensory problems, sensory processing disorder