Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dilemma??? Looking For Advice
kayla 11:28 AM 05-04-2012
Ok awhile back I started a baby that is 6 mos old. This child only comes mon. wed. and fri. Well I am about to have my child. (due may 10). I have another family that is full time and has been with me since I started. She has been on maternity leave and will be coming back to me with a 3 mos old. Well here is the dillema I was originally told I could get a variance so I was not worried at all, well I just found out this last week that I have to hire a helper to get a variance. Well thats pointless, I would only be making what I would be paying a helper. So I need some advice on how I go about letting this part timer go... I feel bad but obviously money wise I will keep the full timer, and my own baby with no question asked... How do I tell this family I have to let them go at the end of the month... Please any advice is appreciated..
Meeko 11:32 AM 05-04-2012
Tell them the truth!

It's out of your hands as licensing has said you must hire an assistant in order to get a variance.

Unless the part time family is willing to pay for that...then you have no choice but to let them go.

They can't be upset with you when it's out of your hands.
jojosmommy 11:35 AM 05-04-2012
So it will cost you the same to hire a helper as you make from this extra kid? Exactly?

If that's the case I would hire a helper for a number of reasons. Help when you want to pampering your own little one, help when you need to go to drive Apts, help when you were up all night. PLUS I think you come out ahead on the tax end, I could be wrong but I'm sure someone else knows that piece.

If it costs more, I might still consider the help in the transition phase with the baby.

If you absolutely cannot do it, I would tell them just what you said. You intended to keep them with a variances but since you can not get one you have to terminate care. A month notice should help them find alternate care.
countrymom 11:38 AM 05-04-2012
why is the helper making the same amount as you, how much are you paying her. I would keep a helper, just for sanity sake and till you fall into routine, I would have a helper around.
small_steps 11:49 AM 05-04-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Tell them the truth!

It's out of your hands as licensing has said you must hire an assistant in order to get a variance.

Unless the part time family is willing to pay for that...then you have no choice but to let them go.

They can't be upset with you when it's out of your hands.
I agree. They may not like it but on the other hand maybe they will be understanding.

Also, if you have a helper can you take on additional children besides the new baby? If so you may be able to get a few more children so you are actually making more with the additional children's tuition besides just what you pay your helper.
kayla 02:11 PM 05-04-2012
Thank you all for your advice... When she picked her daughter up I explained to her that I wasn't able to get a variance and can only watch her daughter through the end of the month.. I just cannot afford to pay someone to come in and help when I wouldnt be making any money off this child...
kayla 02:56 PM 05-04-2012
Well that didnt work out to well now she came back and gave me her two weeks notice....I should have waited until I gave birth...
littlemissmuffet 04:09 PM 05-04-2012
Good rule of thumb = only ever give the amount of notice that you require a parent to give. In your case, I would have only give 2 weeks notice... this way nobody loses out on money or services.

I require parents give one calander month's notice - so that's what I give when I term (unless it's an issue that involves immediate termination). I also give term letters on the 1st of the month AFTER I have recieved payment for the month. This way, if they choose to leave earlier, I have already been paid until the end of the month with no worries.
cheerfuldom 06:30 PM 05-04-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Good rule of thumb = only ever give the amount of notice that you require a parent to give. In your case, I would have only give 2 weeks notice... this way nobody loses out on money or services.

I require parents give one calander month's notice - so that's what I give when I term (unless it's an issue that involves immediate termination). I also give term letters on the 1st of the month AFTER I have recieved payment for the month. This way, if they choose to leave earlier, I have already been paid until the end of the month with no worries.
yup, always best to plan for the worst. parents almost always check out fast if they get any sort of notice like this.
Reply Up