Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Needed... When to Call
KDC 09:35 AM 05-14-2012
I have an infant, 12 weeks old. I went to put him in an infant carrier to go for a walk and pinched the inside of his leg with the seat belt, it's actually more by his leg by his tush from his wiggling. This left a pinch mark, do I notify the parents right away? The baby is fine (I'm a wreck). I know accidents happen to everyone, but this is NOT a good way to start my Monday morning. I feel AWFUL. What would you do?
Kiki 09:37 AM 05-14-2012
With something that small, I'd wait to inform them until pickup. Accidents like that happen, and aren't really a huge deal. Don't beat yourself up over it, the baby forgot it happened right after it happened.
Christian Mother 09:41 AM 05-14-2012
I've done that before..baby and I where crying..

Makes you feel so awful! I just make a note on their daily's to the parents and let them know what happened and show them. I have a 2 yr old who knows how to buckle him self into his lunch chair and he constantly gets his fingers pinched. He's very careful now but it just takes that one to make you take care each time.
cheerfuldom 09:55 AM 05-14-2012
I only call immediately when it is something drastic or when there is something that the parent should or could do about it. I know it feels awful to accidentally do that to a child but in the grand scheme of things, it is just a minor incident and similar to maybe a toddler falling down and getting a bruise. I am sure he is fine now and there is nothing that a parent can do to make it better. The call will just leave them worrying and imagining this huge worse case scenario bruising and scarring when in reality, it may not even be visible by the end of the day.
KDC 10:26 AM 05-14-2012
Thanks Everyone. I'll wait till pick-up. My initial thought is I can't believe I did that to such a precious baby -- why wasn't I paying closer attention. It was hectic with him screaming and trying to keep the other kids in line. It shouldn't have happened... just mad at myself for being in such a hurry.
Heidi 10:43 AM 05-14-2012
It happens...it's ok!

I only call if it's something they can see when they walk in the door, like a goose-egg on the forhead. That way, they don't walk in and see that without a warning. I hate seeing this face
itlw8 11:02 AM 05-14-2012
ok that is what I always did wait until pick up/// Until last summer/ I had a child bit and told mom at pick up. She reported me for lack of supervision... HER child ( 4) pushed a 2 yr old down and held him down and the 2 yr old bit to get up I was 10 feet away.

The state got me on one thing. I did not call immediately. The rule is vague. and even though no medical treatment was needed. The parent needed to be informed unless they had given me permission to only call for emergencies.

They told me all bumps bites and scratches need to inform parent immediately unless parent has stated otherwise.

Stupid mom thought she was bringing her child back... I wanted to tell her get real but the investigator. had already asked if she had found new childcare.
SunshineMama 11:05 AM 05-14-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
It happens...it's ok!

I only call if it's something they can see when they walk in the door, like a goose-egg on the forhead. That way, they don't walk in and see that without a warning. I hate seeing this face
This is what I do too
MizzCheryl 11:06 AM 05-14-2012
I always go ahead and call so that I feel better. No sense in being worried about it all day. Just call her so You can get it off your mind.
KDC 11:20 AM 05-14-2012
The Mom comes to feed the baby since he's breastfed and won't take the bottle as of yet. I told her about it and she's VERY understanding , it's been a really rough morning with a hungry baby and he's pretty much screamed since 8:30, hence trying to get him out for a walk this morning. I still feel like a big schmuck for not taking more time, but I've done it with my own children... just stinks to do it with someone else's. I'm a professional, I know how these darn buckles are!!

Well, I hopefully won't be making that same mistake anytime soon. Stupid, stupid belt.
My3cents 11:38 AM 05-14-2012
Originally Posted by KDC:
The Mom comes to feed the baby since he's breastfed and won't take the bottle as of yet. I told her about it and she's VERY understanding , it's been a really rough morning with a hungry baby and he's pretty much screamed since 8:30, hence trying to get him out for a walk this morning. I still feel like a big schmuck for not taking more time, but I've done it with my own children... just stinks to do it with someone else's. I'm a professional, I know how these darn buckles are!!

Well, I hopefully won't be making that same mistake anytime soon. Stupid, stupid belt.
cut yourself a break. It was a complete accident. You will be more aware next time and it is not like you purposely pinched the child on purpose. You are ok, and the little is ok, and it is the first of many to come.........been there.
Unregistered 11:44 AM 05-14-2012
Originally Posted by Clueless:
I always go ahead and call so that I feel better. No sense in being worried about it all day. Just call her so You can get it off your mind.
This is what I do, too. Once I call I feel much better. I usually call even if it's something that may go away by the time they're picked up. Almost always the parent says, "No problem!", but I err on the side of calling just to cover myself and make me feel better.
Reply Up