Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Going from 2 naps to 1 nap
DaisyMamma 08:16 AM 04-09-2013
17mo still on two naps. Its wildly inconvenient for the whole group.
Keeping him up all morning = miserable child who will then only sleep one hour @ afternoon nap and continue to be miserable all afternoon. No fun!

If he takes morning nap it is one hr long and then takes a two hour afternoon nap.

Suggestions to ease transition?
DaisyMamma 10:47 AM 04-09-2013
bumping up
jamiem 11:08 AM 04-09-2013
Sorry I can't offer any advice but just letting you know you are not alone! I have a 20 month old who still needs 2 naps most days. It isn't bad for us though because she is the oldest and the other younger two still need 2 naps as well. The problem for me is the naps rarely line up to give me a break. The length of the morning nap varies and has a huge impact on the time of the afternoon nap.
3amazingkiddos 11:18 AM 04-09-2013
I have a 20 month old who still needs 2 naps per day. He can go without, but he tends to fall asleep while eating lunch or is just miserable the rest of the day. So I either lay him down at about 9a and wake him after an hour so he still has his afternoon nap with the older kids or we do our morning plans and usually he'll take a short nap in the stroller and be fine until afternoon nap. I know at home he only takes 1 long nap, but it's from like 10a-1p and that just doesn't work here. So far my method has been working fairly well. Good luck!
momofsix 11:47 AM 04-09-2013
Have you tried gradually shortening his nap? Instead of letting him sleep for an hour try 45 minutes for a week or so, then drop it down to 39 minutes. Once he's acclimated to shorter naps giving it up will be easier.
I have also had morning nappers sleep in a less quiet area so they can hear everything that's going on-makes them want to stay up and be part of the fun
Lyss 12:17 PM 04-09-2013
Originally Posted by momofsix:
Have you tried gradually shortening his nap? Instead of letting him sleep for an hour try 45 minutes for a week or so, then drop it down to 39 minutes. Once he's acclimated to shorter naps giving it up will be easier.
I have also had morning nappers sleep in a less quiet area so they can hear everything that's going on-makes them want to stay up and be part of the fun
I have DCG about the same age (almost 17 months) who still needs 2 naps and some days it really throws off our schedule, especially on library days when she needs a nap from 10-11 (which is library time) Plus having her up while everyone else is sleeping is a headache as she's not a quiet one.

I've started doing what PP said and shortening her naps. I also put her down at about 915 instead of later so she's still tired enough to go down with the rest after lunch. Last week she got an hour nap in the am and this week its 45mins, next week 30mins... and so on.
AfterSchoolMom 12:28 PM 04-09-2013
Not to threadjack, but...

Why is my thread title also the thread title here? Does anyone else see it like that?
Heidi 12:31 PM 04-09-2013
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:

Why is my thread title also the thread title here? Does anyone else see it like that?
I do...it changed from her original thread title at some point. Maybe a mod can fix it? It seems to be a glitch
Blackcat31 12:33 PM 04-09-2013
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:

Originally Posted by Heidi:
I do...it changed from her original thread title at some point. Maybe a mod can fix it? It seems to be a glitch
What WAS the title? I can fix it but don't know what it was originally.
Heidi 12:36 PM 04-09-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
What WAS the title? I can fix it but don't know what it was originally.
I think it said "transitioning from 2 naps to 1"
jenn 12:42 PM 04-09-2013
I transition mine to one long afternoon nap as soon possible (usually around 12 months). I start by shortening the length of the am nap. I put them down at their normal time, then wake them up about 15 minutes earlier than their normal wake up time. If they are still tired or grumpy, that's OK. I then do everything possible to keep them awake and not let them fall asleep until everyone does pm nap. As soon as they are tolerating that 15 minute shortening, I shorten it again. Within a week or 2, they are done.
AnneCordelia 01:28 PM 04-09-2013
All of mine that start during the school year are transotioned to one nap immediately due to our school schedule. I find that the first two weeks can be rough but that they adapt to the new routine very quickly.
Reply Up