Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCK Potty Question
TheGoodLife 09:28 PM 08-11-2013
So my DD (now 3) never really had a problem "wiping" when she went potty and was independent with it after that first week. My new DCB (will be 4 on Tuesday) is potty trained except for naps, and DCM says he needs help wiping- even though he says he doesn't.
What is the typical age boys learn to be independent with it, and any advice to help? I'll be honest, it'll be a little strange going into the bathroom to help a potty-trained DCK, at least at first
TIA!
JoseyJo 10:37 PM 08-11-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
So my DD (now 3) never really had a problem "wiping" when she went potty and was independent with it after that first week. My new DCB (will be 4 on Tuesday) is potty trained except for naps, and DCM says he needs help wiping- even though he says he doesn't.
What is the typical age boys learn to be independent with it, and any advice to help? I'll be honest, it'll be a little strange going into the bathroom to help a potty-trained DCK, at least at first
TIA!
I have a dcb almost 5 whose mother still wipes him every time. I will NOT wipe a child who is fully potty trained. There is no reason he can't learn to do it, he just hasn't because who wants to take the chance of touching their poop when someone else will do it for them?

When he goes here he wipes himself. It takes him a LONG time, and he usually makes a mess due to his inexperience (he only goes here about once a month, usually he goes at home) but he is slowly getting it and has to learn sometime! No one is going to wipe a kindergartener's bum in school.
TheGoodLife 10:44 PM 08-11-2013
Any tips to help him learn faster? I plan to help for a short time, but want to make sure he's learning independence and not being reliant when it comes to bathroom expectations, KWIM?
Play Care 03:31 AM 08-12-2013
Any tips to help him learn faster? I plan to help for a short time, but want to make sure he's learning independence and not being reliant when it comes to bathroom expectations, KWIM?
I do NOT wipe potty trained kids and I let parents know this. I mention this is an important personal care skill that they need to master before K. The one thing I will do is "check their work" and let then know if *they* need to wipe some more.
MissAnn 03:52 AM 08-12-2013
I have a dad who brings his 4 year old daughter into the bathroom and wipes her after poop. I told him she can do that herself but he insists she can't. They are in there forever and it's usually when we need to have kids wash hands for breakfast. Drives me crazy!
LaLa1923 04:03 AM 08-12-2013
I'll be honest, mine were still being wiped by me (I was at least supervising) until they were old enough to go to school.

They wipe with small flushable wipes, win win for the both of us. They get it all, and I'm happy.

I make these available for dcks also.
AnneCordelia 04:09 AM 08-12-2013
I also don't wipe trained kids. I do check to let them know they are clean. :-)
Cradle2crayons 05:17 AM 08-12-2013
I don't wipe either once they are completely potty trained.

Like others though, if they are having difficulty, I offer the wet wipes and I do check isle that are having trouble.

I also tell parents when they begin potty training to teach them how to wipe and not just do it for em.
Unregistered 05:32 AM 08-12-2013
fyi- those flushable wipes are great for potty learning, but do not flush them. Google it- they are causing a lot of problems for municiple sewer plants. I have a designated waste basket- diaper pails are great for them too!
Play Care 05:38 AM 08-12-2013
Wet wipes - I do offer them, but am somewhat stingy about their use. Mostly because my daughter went off to K and was shocked they didn't have them at school
I will let them use one or two at most, but they do need to know how to wipe with plain old tp.
CedarCreek 06:04 AM 08-12-2013
I also have the flushable wipes available but I second not flushing them..we just had to call the plumber to clean out our lines. Our toilet backed up something fierce and when they came out, it was the wipes clogging the line. They said even though they say flushable, don't do it.
itlw8 07:04 AM 08-12-2013
flushable wipe are said to have been invented by a plumber LOl Do not flush them they clog sewers. They used to say tampon were flushable and they did not break down either. YUCK
BABYLUVER21 03:21 PM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
flushable wipe are said to have been invented by a plumber LOl Do not flush them they clog sewers. They used to say tampon were flushable and they did not break down either. YUCK
I remember that our street had to be taken apart by utilities because of backups that were not residential, but somehow clogged the actual sewer. They were able to somewhat determine where it came from and I was questioned if I had ever put tampons down the toilet, which I do not use them and anyway, I was 8 months PREGNANT with my son at the time. Found out the neighbor on our adjoining duplex was the one flushing her tampons down the toilet and it caused a major problem. they were NOT the flushable kind either! GROSSSSS
Unregistered 04:15 PM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I have a dad who brings his 4 year old daughter into the bathroom and wipes her after poop. I told him she can do that herself but he insists she can't. They are in there forever and it's usually when we need to have kids wash hands for breakfast. Drives me crazy!
That's why I don't allow parents in my restroom, I have a sign that reads "no public restroom " even if their own kids need to go. Once they start they ussualy make it a habit, they take forever in there and are loud too.
Tags:potty issues
Reply Up