Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sub During Vacation?
gracepatiencelove 01:44 PM 05-15-2014
If you only gave 2 weeks notice for a 3 day vacation, would you have your sub come in?

This may be the only shot I get at a vacation for the next few years, so I am REALLY considering it. I know 1 family is leaving anyway , one family would be able to work around it, and my other family might have an issue but I am going to speak with her about it tonight.
midaycare 02:25 PM 05-15-2014
I guess I don't understand - why would families have an issue with a sub?

My families are told that if I ever have a doc's appt, take a vacation, etc., my sub will be there. They seem to appreciate that.
cheerfuldom 07:00 PM 05-15-2014
No I would not. If I am not home, I don't allow my daycare to be used at all.
nothingwithoutjoy 07:15 PM 05-15-2014
Originally Posted by gracepatiencelove:
If you only gave 2 weeks notice for a 3 day vacation, would you have your sub come in?

This may be the only shot I get at a vacation for the next few years, so I am REALLY considering it. I know 1 family is leaving anyway , one family would be able to work around it, and my other family might have an issue but I am going to speak with her about it tonight.
I don't do subs. Two weeks is not ideal, but it's not horrible. It's what I have in my contract, although I always give more. What's in your contract? Sounds like it's got the potential to be a problem with only one family, and like you don't go away often, so I say do it!
Second Home 08:20 AM 05-16-2014
I do not have subs in for my vacations . That is where the parents need to have their back up.

Also in some areas you are limited in the amount of hours you can use a sub .
Blackcat31 09:10 AM 05-16-2014
Originally Posted by Second Home:
I do not have subs in for my vacations . That is where the parents need to have their back up.

Also in some areas you are limited in the amount of hours you can use a sub .
Yes, we are limited to a certain number of hours/days we can use a sub in a month/year period.

When I go on vacation, whether for 2 days or 2 weeks, I like to simply be closed. When there is a sub here, I worry that things aren't ok or that something might happen so the stress isn't worth it for me so I just close all together.

Less stress for me this way.
Annalee 09:39 AM 05-16-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes, we are limited to a certain number of hours/days we can use a sub in a month/year period.

When I go on vacation, whether for 2 days or 2 weeks, I like to simply be closed. When there is a sub here, I worry that things aren't ok or that something might happen so the stress isn't worth it for me so I just close all together.

Less stress for me this way.

midaycare 10:22 AM 05-16-2014
I guess I'm lucky - my sub is my mom, and she is a retired teacher, having taught a variety of grade levels, so I have no issue leaving her in charge.
Naptime yet? 10:25 AM 05-16-2014
Plus 3 days isn't that big a deal, especially if this may be your only vacation for a while. Now if it were 3 weeks....

Enjoy yourself! They'll figure it out.
Reply Up