Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>when dcp are sick
Unregistered 07:57 AM 03-24-2015
Dcm texted me and said she is horribly sick, throwing up, the works, so dcd would do drop off and pick up. I know there is not a whole lot I can do, but we have been dealing with the stomach bug for two weeks now and I am so worried we are going to catch this bug now. I can't afford to miss much more work! Like, I said, I know there is not much I ca do at this point, but do you guys have a policy about sicknesses at home and allowing dcks to still come? Just curious if that would be over the top?
Blackcat31 08:03 AM 03-24-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Dcm texted me and said she is horribly sick, throwing up, the works, so dcd would do drop off and pick up. I know there is not a whole lot I can do, but we have been dealing with the stomach bug for two weeks now and I am so worried we are going to catch this bug now. I can't afford to miss much more work! Like, I said, I know there is not much I ca do at this point, but do you guys have a policy about sicknesses at home and allowing dcks to still come? Just curious if that would be over the top?
Nope. I exclude sick kids only.

If I thought others that displayed no symptoms were still going to get me sick, I'd have to close up shop and not allow anyone to enter my home.

EVERY.SINGLE parent you have in care is exposed to something on some degree or level every single day and bringing it with them to your house.

My own two kids were very different from each other and rarely caught the same virus/illnesses so I personally don't think it's fair to exclude those that aren't sick.

I understand you not wanting to get sick too but like I said, there is only so much a person can do.

The ONLY time I would exclude the whole family, well or not is if it were something reportable...measles, pertussis etc.
Unregistered 08:10 AM 03-24-2015
Yes you are right. I guess I am just having PTSD from all the vomit and diahrea I have seen the last few weeks Part of it is also how messed up their schedule has been lately, so she has the ability to keep her home every day, but has chosen to bring her instead, late and unfed, so I get a cranky 18 month old and I guess I am just looking for an excuse to be upset with them. Feels good to vent about it! Thanks!
spinnymarie 08:12 AM 03-24-2015
I agree.
Just keep up your handwashing - I put hand sanitizer next to the sign in for parents, and kids wash hands upon arrival, and then numerous times throughout the day, and any time they touch their nose, mouth or eyes. Keep disinfecting the door knobs, sign in pen, bathroom, wash all the sheets, pillows, blankets, toys. We had a few 'washing' days where everyone gets a hand sanitizer wipe and goes to town.
That's about as much as you can do.
Blackcat31 08:19 AM 03-24-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Yes you are right. I guess I am just having PTSD from all the vomit and diahrea I have seen the last few weeks Part of it is also how messed up their schedule has been lately, so she has the ability to keep her home every day, but has chosen to bring her instead, late and unfed, so I get a cranky 18 month old and I guess I am just looking for an excuse to be upset with them. Feels good to vent about it! Thanks!
Those are things I would NOT allow though....

You can fight this illness stuff by really really being tough with your illness policies. If you require kids to be 100% so they can participate normally and her child is tired or cranky, send home.

If you require kids to arrive fed after a certain time and she arrives without having fed her child, deny her care until she feeds him.

If she is late, discuss sticking to the schedule and if she can't she is in jeopardy of losing her child care.

I exclude for symptoms NOT actual illnesses so even if a kid has a temp due to teething, they are excluded. If the child has diarrhea due to eating something, they are still excluded.

If a parent keeps their child home when the child is sick, the child needs to remain out for 24 hours AFTER symptoms have subsided (WITHOUT the use of OTC meds) but if I send the child home from daycare, they have to stay home for 48 hours after symptoms are gone (WITHOUT use of OTC meds). That rule alone really makes parents step up and do a health check of thier child daily before dropping off.

I have the same exclusion policies as most providers, the difference is I enforce them emphatically and never make exceptions. Every time I do, it comes back to bite me.

Not my circus, not my monkey.

Hope you/your family are feeling better soon!
Reply Up