Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daily Schedule
Silly Songs 07:53 PM 03-25-2015
Would you ladies give me a rundown of your daily schedule ? How long is circle time and what do you incorporate ? Do you read at circle time or at a different time ? How about the rest of your day ? I'm struggling to get the right schedule for my class . They are all 3-3 1/2 approx . They get antsy after circle time in the morning , so we go to centers , then to the letter/number work I have planned . But then it seems free play is too short , but I have a curriculum and a schedule to keep. I am looking for ideas to move some things around . Thanks .
Unregistered 08:34 PM 03-25-2015
Follow a pattern of quiet/teacher directed, then active/free play, back and forth to set up your schedule.
Set the timing by what you find your group tolerates, then try to stretch their attention span over time.
For active play use yoga, or activity songs, or large muscle equipment, or outdoor play when you can.
By alternating they get the wiggles out so they can listen again.
Thriftylady 08:46 PM 03-25-2015
It depends a lot on your group. Start with meals and snacks make those set times. Then fit in nap/rest time. For me, free play can be the worst part of the day my kids get wild. So free play is small blocks. From there I fit in circle time, reading is not part of circle time it is different. I fit in outside time, then I fit in any preschool and outside time. We play outside as much as we can weather permitting and free play and outside can be combined, it works better that way if you have a wild high energy group. From my experience, busy children are easier to deal with. More work for me in some ways, but less in others.
Controlled Chaos 09:15 PM 03-25-2015
8-9 Free play
9-9:30 Circle time (doesn't always take 30min but I carve out that much time) We sing name songs, ABC, count to 100, calendar concepts and songs, nursery rhymes, movement games.
9:30 snack
10-11 outside
11-12 free play while I make lunch
12 lunch
12:30 books and quiet songs, sharing about our day
1-3 nap
3 snack
3:30-5 free play
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:41 AM 03-26-2015
I don't do circle time- such a rebel I am!

6:45-9 they arrive. I feed them when I feel they should eat in that time frame.
they play in the playroom around being fed. Generally on their own.
9-11 we play but they now have access to the kitchen table so playdoh and paint are also options as well as the sensory table. I listen to them. Sometimes we read books. I try to fill in what they are playing/ asking about if I can. (read my yesterday on fb /MrsSteinelsHouse) If we can be outside during this time we are.
11 we clean up, put out beds and then eat lunch.
12- 3 we are all tucked in for naptime
3 we put away nap stuff, play
345 we eat snack
if we can we go outside until pick up if not we play inside.

So how do they learn the "circle time" stuff. What do you think this letter might be? I tape letters to the table. They love to trace them and drive cars on them. Today the animals were dancing on them. We talk about letters and sounds. It is the same with colors. Cute little songs? We sing those while I am getting lunch on the table! Books... we read tons- as the children ask for them or when I wish to read... Everything about circle time can be fit into our normal play and routine. Calendar, I have them on the wall and someone will ask to put the sticker on and we talk about where we are in the year. Weather- what do we need to put on to go outside Can we go outside?
spinnymarie 10:46 AM 03-26-2015
700 - 800: table toys/arrival
800 - 830: circle time - moving around songs followed by a book
830 - 900: breakfast
900 - 1000: outside
1000 - 1130: free play plus small group work - I pull kids in small groups during play time to work on letters or name writing or painting, usually only 10 minutes per group
1130 - 1200: lunch
1200 - 200: rest time
200 - 230: table toys/waking up
230 - 300: snack
300 - 500: inside/outside play time

Circle time is usually that full half-hour. But much of it is moving around/dancing and singing. The sitting still portions are short, and I only really require the kids 4 and up to sit and do the whole thing. THe other kids I encourage to join in and stay but they sometimes move in and out.
Reply Up