Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Art Center
mamamanda 08:56 AM 04-08-2015
What kind of art supplies do you have readily accessible to kids all day? I have a dcg who is constantly"bored" & I feel like all i say all day is "go play." She struggles with self direction, but that's another story. She LOVES arts & crafts. Will play for an hour with art supplies, but I can't trust her with them. Give her crayons & she writes on the walls. Give her glue & its on everything. Paint & playdoh get ground into the floor. How do you manage an art center & keep things under control? Have you tried the color wonder supplies? They're only supposed to write on their paper, but its expensive. How do you handle arts & crafts? I do have rules & try hard to be consistent, but I can't bat an eye w/o an issue. Not sure how to make this work or if its even worth the effort.
Josiegirl 10:43 AM 04-08-2015
I do not have my art supplies readily available. Well, I guess I do and I don't. They're on a shelf where the prek set know to get them and they know the kitchen table is the only place we bring them. Still, I need to be close by because lil tots passing through can get fallen crayons, etc. and do quick work of walls.
I have colored paper, pencils, crayons, and markers available like that, then scissors, glue, etc. are available if they ask.
My group seems to have a hard time getting the markers covered when they're done so I've told them when these run dry, we'll be using crayons and colored pencils only. Gets expensive!!
Annalee 10:51 AM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
What kind of art supplies do you have readily accessible to kids all day? I have a dcg who is constantly"bored" & I feel like all i say all day is "go play." She struggles with self direction, but that's another story. She LOVES arts & crafts. Will play for an hour with art supplies, but I can't trust her with them. Give her crayons & she writes on the walls. Give her glue & its on everything. Paint & playdoh get ground into the floor. How do you manage an art center & keep things under control? Have you tried the color wonder supplies? They're only supposed to write on their paper, but its expensive. How do you handle arts & crafts? I do have rules & try hard to be consistent, but I can't bat an eye w/o an issue. Not sure how to make this work or if its even worth the effort.
I have a set of bins in the art center with scissors, tape, crepe paper, construction paper, play dough, wiki stix, markers, pencils, rulers, do-a-dot paint, drawing paper, crayons, scrap cutouts, etc. I made glue sponges from pinterest to help with glue mess. If you make these, use Elmers glue. The cheap glue molded????? My children are taught early to keep these materials at the table and be mindful of little ones around the room. No big issues. I like the art center because it keeps those little minds busy doing something while being calm/still at the same time.
spinnymarie 11:10 AM 04-08-2015
I have a small gated-off area for art, that only the kids over 2/3 can get into. There's scissors, hole punches, crayons, stickers, glue sticks, colored pencils, all kinds of paper and coloring books, folders, a stapler, stencil, tp tubes...
Kids that can't handle it get removed for the day, but it's a big hit, so no one wants to be removed and they play carefully and nicely.
nothingwithoutjoy 11:34 AM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
What kind of art supplies do you have readily accessible to kids all day?
Pretty much everything.

Paper in a variety of sizes and types, markers, crayons, pencils, colored pencils, oil pastels, glues, tapes, scissors, hole punches, watercolors, tempera paints, clay, playdough, staplers, chalk.

My kids are 1-6. When they were all under 3, the options were more limited, but there were still a lot.

I sat there a lot and helped kids learn how to use things appropriately and where things could be used. Now they just have free access.

I'd say she probably needs some more direct teaching about how things should be used, and lots of reminders. Then she'll be more able to handle "go play."
Unregistered 01:12 PM 04-08-2015
I have coloring books, paper, markers and crayons in a cupboard. They just have to ask permission.
MsLisa 03:41 PM 04-08-2015
I have markers, crayons. water colors, paint brushes, colored pencils, pipe cleaners and stickers always out. Coloring books and coloring sheets that match the weeks theme too. But paint, glue, scissors, and beads/string are by permission only. (I have all SA kids)
daycare 06:12 PM 04-08-2015
My rules. Have at it have fun be safe.
But when your done you will clean up every last bit of the mess you made. If I see a large mess about to happen I stop them and have them clean it up. They don't get to do anything else until it's cleaned up. They learn fast not to make a huge mess....
Unregistered 06:21 PM 04-08-2015
When I had 3-5's I had scissors, glue, paper, stickers, water color paint, markers, collage materials, playdoh, crayons, & coloring books. When all my kids were 2 and under I had playdoh, markers, paper, pens, mini notepads, oil pastels, & crayons. Mainly the two's used these items. One early two cut well and she used scissors often,
KSDC 08:53 PM 04-08-2015
I have tons of art supplies, but the children have to ask to use them.

I always have at least one thing at the table each day at 9:00 that everyone comes and does. (coloring, painting, cutting and gluing, beads, playdough, etc.)

During free play, they can always come and color or create with some of the other simple art supplies. They just have to ask me for the supplies.
Tags:art center, shelves, storage organizer - cube
Reply Up