Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>7 Weeks Left...But Already Mentally Checked Out...
Unregistered 09:05 AM 06-04-2015
I've been a child care provider since my children were infants. Now they are in Elementary & Middle School, and I knew my time in child care was coming to an end. My husband was offered an awesome job in another state and has already moved. We close on our new home there in a couple of weeks, but when I informed my families of the closing, I knew I would be staying here until the end of July to finish my school, so I agreed to stay open until then. All of my DCFs have been placed, some leaving early, and some wanting to stay until the end. But with the end in sight, it's very difficult to deal with parent drama, which seems to be more prevalent with school out I'm just ready to move. I miss my husband. But I made a commitment to those families that want to stay, so I need to stay open a little longer. Any advice to get a mental boost to get through these next 7 weeks?
AuntTami 09:31 AM 06-04-2015
Put a star on the calendar and count down the days! I would stick with "seven weeks" for now because it seems like so much less time than 49 days, then when the days number seems bearable, switch over.

Plan lots of FUN activities. Focus on enjoying your last few weeks instead of trying to do all the curriculum that you may be doing. It's summer. Take a break
butterfly 09:45 AM 06-04-2015
Congrats on the move.

I agree with Aunt Tami. What made you the most happy about doing daycare? I would fill the next few weeks with the funnest activities. Personally, I'd do what I love to do best during the day. I'd probably allow more free play time and get some small things done around the house (pack a few items, etc. as they play). We'd spend lots of time outside - I love the outdoors and it's the secret to my sanity. I'd do lots of water play outside, run through the sprinklers, etc.

As far as the parents, I think I'd be pretty no nonsense with them. I'd flat out tell them I wouldn't tolerate XYZ. If I offended them, really what would it matter... you'll be closing soon and moving. and if they leave a bit earlier, that really wouldn't hurt my feelings..

In short, do what makes you happy and don't put up with all the BS.

I wish you the best!!
cheerfuldom 10:14 AM 06-04-2015
If you are able to close sooner, I would just tell the parents that things have changed and you are going to have to end care on XYZ date. To me, you need to do what is right for you and alternative childcare is their issue. Might sound harsh but thats how i feel .
Shell 10:53 AM 06-04-2015
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
If you are able to close sooner, I would just tell the parents that things have changed and you are going to have to end care on XYZ date. To me, you need to do what is right for you and alternative childcare is their issue. Might sound harsh but thats how i feel .
I have a really hard time going through the motions of things.
I'm either all in, or I get out. If that's how you're feeling and you can afford to, I would be done.
Play Care 11:10 AM 06-04-2015
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:

I agree.
I would shorten my notice considerably. We are not indispensable and parents will find other care.
Reply Up