Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>At What Age Do You Expect
childcaremom 05:18 AM 10-13-2015
a child should be dressing themselves? With little to no help from you? I realize that this will vary child to child but in a general sense?

I should clarify that I mean for outdoor play. We are into cooler weather so coats, hats, mitts and boots. I am thinking zippers, buttons, snaps on jackets.
finsup 06:08 AM 10-13-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
a child should be dressing themselves? With little to no help from you? I realize that this will vary child to child but in a general sense?

I should clarify that I mean for outdoor play. We are into cooler weather so coats, hats, mitts and boots. I am thinking zippers, buttons, snaps on jackets.
By 2 kids here can do their jackets (neat trick I use is to have the child place the jacket so the tag/hood is near their toes, then put their arms in and flip it over their head. Takes about a day of practice but most "get it" pretty quick!) Boots, and hat. Mittens the twos need some help after getting one on to get the other. By 3, they can do both. Zippers/buttons etc it's anywhere between 3 and 4...that's been kind of random as to when they can do it. I try to practice/teach them to get themselves ready as early as possible!
childcaremom 06:17 AM 10-13-2015
Originally Posted by finsup:
By 2 kids here can do their jackets (neat trick I use is to have the child place the jacket so the tag/hood is near their toes, then put their arms in and flip it over their head. Takes about a day of practice but most "get it" pretty quick!) Boots, and hat. Mittens the twos need some help after getting one on to get the other. By 3, they can do both. Zippers/buttons etc it's anywhere between 3 and 4...that's been kind of random as to when they can do it. I try to practice/teach them to get themselves ready as early as possible!
Ha, I do the same trick. My kids love being able to do this themselves.

I have an almost 4 year old who is still working on zippers. He is very easily frustrated but I always make him try to do it before I will help him.
daycarediva 10:04 AM 10-13-2015
"the flip trick" is done here as well.

NONE of my kids can dress themselves currently-not even shoes. Half are completely unwilling to even TRY so this winter should be fun.

Age almost 5, 4, 3, 3, 3, 2, 18m
Heidi 10:50 AM 10-13-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
"the flip trick" is done here as well.

NONE of my kids can dress themselves currently-not even shoes. Half are completely unwilling to even TRY so this winter should be fun.

Age almost 5, 4, 3, 3, 3, 2, 18m
Ha!

This was one of the factors leading to my decision to accept that job (among others). I was absolutely dreading adding snow pants, boots, mittens, and hats. My 2 1/2 year old took 45 minutes to put ONE shoe on today. Yesterday, he put them on in a minute...twice. Too bad no one at home makes him do it!
Blackcat31 11:11 AM 10-13-2015
Self-dressing is something we simply integrate into our every day activities.

I have kids as young as 2 that can dress themselves in basics.

Shirt, pants, socks and shoes.

I am not counting buttons, zippers, snaps or getting their shoes on the right feet but every 2 year old (and one 20 month old) I have can manage the basics.

When I diaper change, I hand them back their pants and have them do it themselves. Every single diaper change.

Diaper changes take a bit longer but in the long run it's more than worth it.

When we go outside, we get ready as a group:

"Okay little people, lets get our snow pants on first!"

"Nicely done little people! If you have an extra hand, let's help our friends who might be struggling"

"Okay, now lets get our boots on!"

"Next let's get our coats on!"

"Mr O, can you give Miss M a helping hand, she looks like she is struggling..."

"Once you have your coats on, you can start working on your hats first and then lastly your mittens while Miss BC comes around and helps everyone with their zippers and snaps"

I will start zippers but I won't finish them. Etc etc etc...

We do this every single day here....even in the coldest winter times....and even if we are only outside for 10 minutes.

Daily practice every day in ANY way we can helps tremendously and the proof is in the fact that I can manage 10 kids (ALL under age 5) get ready for outside play in less than 20 minutes.
daycarediva 11:21 AM 10-13-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Ha!

This was one of the factors leading to my decision to accept that job (among others). I was absolutely dreading adding snow pants, boots, mittens, and hats. My 2 1/2 year old took 45 minutes to put ONE shoe on today. Yesterday, he put them on in a minute...twice. Too bad no one at home makes him do it!
I'll be thinking of you NOT struggling while I am doing what BC said below!

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I am not counting buttons, zippers, snaps or getting their shoes on the right feet but every 2 year old (and one 20 month old) I have can manage the basics.

When I diaper change, I hand them back their pants and have them do it themselves. Every single diaper change.

"Nicely done little people! If you have an extra hand, let's help our friends who might be struggling"

"Once you have your coats on, you can start working on your hats first and then lastly your mittens while Miss BC comes around and helps everyone with their zippers and snaps"

We do this every single day here....even in the coldest winter times....and even if we are only outside for 10 minutes.

Daily practice every day in ANY way we can helps tremendously and the proof is in the fact that I can manage 10 kids (ALL under age 5) get ready for outside play in less than 20 minutes.
I got some dress up items that require more self help skills. They just refused to put them on. I'm sorry but the 3 year old who REFUSES to ATTEMPT crocs? Not cool, parents.
Blackcat31 11:57 AM 10-13-2015
I got some dress up items that require more self help skills. They just refused to put them on. I'm sorry but the 3 year old who REFUSES to ATTEMPT crocs? Not cool, parents.
Yeah, I'd have a tough time with that one....

My littles that DO take the initiative to try are GREATLY rewarded every time someone "refuses".

I'm sure I have an entire group that secretly hopes for at least one defiant kid to refuse every day...
Heidi 12:03 PM 10-13-2015

Oh, I've been doing this with this group since day 1. One child (3 in December) can do all but zipping by herself. My other friend cant/wont do much of anything except stare at the wall, try to shove his feet in closed shoes, throw his shoes around, tumble around, eesh! He doesn't use his hands at all, and yes, I've demonstrated it, patiently, over and over and over. As soon as I touch the shoe, he just stops even trying. Which is why he sat there, outside, for 45 minutes with ONE shoe on.

He's been a real turkey lately, so I was secretly happy because sitting there, he couldn't clobber, push, wrestle, point objects at (like a gun or knife, can't tell) or climb on anyone.

I honestly am at the point now, where I will just do what I need to do to get through the next week and a half. I'm over fighting with expecations with kiddos or parents.
finsup 12:56 PM 10-13-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Ha, I do the same trick. My kids love being able to do this themselves.

I have an almost 4 year old who is still working on zippers. He is very easily frustrated but I always make him try to do it before I will help him.
Yup, that's my rule too. You have to at least try. My 4 year old still struggles with some zippers and buttons but as long as he's trying (without throwing a fit lol) I'm happy.
daycare 01:08 PM 10-13-2015
I don't expect any child to do anything at any certain age. We provide opportunities for every child to learn these skills no matter.

Once they are able to show us that they can do something, it is then that it becomes an expectation that they have to do it themselves.
childcaremom 02:01 PM 10-13-2015

Yes, this is what I do, as well. This is a HUGE reason why I like starting the child at 12 mos rather than when they are older.
daycarediva 03:34 AM 10-14-2015
Yeah, I'd have a tough time with that one....

My littles that DO take the initiative to try are GREATLY rewarded every time someone "refuses".

I'm sure I have an entire group that secretly hopes for at least one defiant kid to refuse every day...
SHARE SHARE SHARE!

I am D O N E with my 3yo divas telling me what/how/when to dress them. Yesterday they spent almost 40 minutes in the afternoon futsing around on the deck while the other kids played because I wouldn't just do it for them.

I CAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN'TTTTTT

I want youuuuuuuu to do it.

My Momma does it.

I want my Daddy!

I just wanted an ATTEMPT. I wanted PART of a foot to TRY to go into a RAIN BOOT for goodness sake. I'm not asking them to do anything super complicated.

It also took them until this week (started end. Aug) to pull up their own pants after toileting. Stubborn much? and LOTS of time spent in the bathroom saying "I CAN'T"
laundrymom 04:46 AM 10-14-2015
I don't participate in this kind of drama.
I play. They sit until they are dressed. Then I check their work. If it's good I let them play. If not the can sit on the deck and struggle, watch kids play, look at the sky, etc. but they don't get attention until they are ready for play.

SHARE SHARE SHARE!

I am D O N E with my 3yo divas telling me what/how/when to dress them. Yesterday they spent almost 40 minutes in the afternoon futsing around on the deck while the other kids played because I wouldn't just do it for them.

I CAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN'TTTTTT

I want youuuuuuuu to do it.

My Momma does it.

I want my Daddy!

I just wanted an ATTEMPT. I wanted PART of a foot to TRY to go into a RAIN BOOT for goodness sake. I'm not asking them to do anything super complicated.

It also took them until this week (started end. Aug) to pull up their own pants after toileting. Stubborn much? and LOTS of time spent in the bathroom saying "I CAN'T"

Heidi 12:02 PM 10-14-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I play. They sit until they are dressed. Then I check their work. If it's good I let them play. If not the can sit on the deck and struggle, watch kids play, look at the sky, etc. but they don't get attention until they are ready for play.
I don't have a "clean spot" for my little man to sit, so I am sure mom will be wondering why his socks are so dirty. He messed around for 20 minutes before finally putting his shoes on today.

Now the problem is, its getting cold enough that he needs his coat on to be outside, but with his coat on, he can't get his shoes on (too bulky). He does not seem to "get" the consequence, so I can't just let him freeze (well, not freeze, but it's kind of uncomfortable).

Same guy has also almost completely stopped napping. Took 3 hour naps until a couple weeks ago, now..maybe an hour. Let's see...4 more days of it.

I look forward to enjoying seeing him when his mom and I spend time together. I can then just roll my eyes on the inside while he is treated like a little king.
daycarediva 10:12 AM 10-15-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I didn't either. I was too busy raking leaves for the other kids to jump in. She had her own little play on the deck by her lonesome.
Reply Up