Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty training Tracking
daycare 07:47 AM 11-13-2015
So I have a family that is driving me nuts about their just turned 2 year old and potty training. I am sick to my head about having to hear them ask a million questions about it the 2 whole days the kid is here.

I have already given them my PT policy and list of things I will and won't do. One thing I forgot to say I won't do is participate in any kind of daily tracking sheet or such.

I have 14 kids here daily which about half are still in diapers, depending on the day.

this family is now asking me to do a daily report for their child so they know what is going on. they claim that the child is 100% potty trained at home, but because the child 100% DOES NOT USE THE POTTY HERE, I require the child to be in pull-ups. The family says they have to start the potty training process all over again every time they leave my house and said they are frustrated with me, it's my fault.

I already squashed that whole thing with the parents and told them my way or highway.

but now i am wondering if it would be a good idea to track the kids that potty train? I have never done it before, not too sure if there is an app or just a paper you fill out?? does any one have either of these?

How long does it take?

thanks in advance....OH and TGIF
Baby Beluga 08:05 AM 11-13-2015
I fill out daily reports for my kids, but with a max of 5 in one day (1 who is my own) it is much easier then a provider with a large group.

The daily sheets are on the back page of my website and hosted on a server at home. This way I can go back and view every sheet I have ever filled out.
Having the sheets allows me to go back and show a parent when their child was wet/dry/etc and helps me keep track of when a child is ready to move from diapers and pull-ups to underwear.
childcaremom 08:15 AM 11-13-2015
Oh my goodness.

I would not be tracking it AT ALL. I would not entertain any more questions, comments, or discussions. Been there. Done that.

"Dcp, I understand you are frustrated with dck's lack of success with potty training here. Let me reassure you that this IS normal due to the activity level in this environment vs home. She will get there. We just need to be patient. I am giving you a copy of my policy again. There is no longer an available topic for discussion."

If they continue, I would suggest that if this does not work for them, they are welcome to seek care elsewhere and don't forget the notice.

ETA: I keep a daily log for my own purposes where I track diaper changes for my purposes only. I would never (and am not required to) log this for parents info. If they need that, they need a nanny. Jmho.
daycare 08:51 AM 11-13-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Oh my goodness.

I would not be tracking it AT ALL. I would not entertain any more questions, comments, or discussions. Been there. Done that.

"Dcp, I understand you are frustrated with dck's lack of success with potty training here. Let me reassure you that this IS normal due to the activity level in this environment vs home. She will get there. We just need to be patient. I am giving you a copy of my policy again. There is no longer an available topic for discussion."

If they continue, I would suggest that if this does not work for them, they are welcome to seek care elsewhere and don't forget the notice.

ETA: I keep a daily log for my own purposes where I track diaper changes for my purposes only. I would never (and am not required to) log this for parents info. If they need that, they need a nanny. Jmho.
lol. yeah I already told the parent that if they my PT policy didn't work for them, then to please give 30 day notice now.

I am just wondering if there is any help in having a tracking device/app/form to use because it would really who who is ready to PT and who is not.

Lucky for me I have some really good parents that I will tell them, sorry, your child is just not ready and they will honor that. BUT this mom oh boy, she thought she was going to war with me and tried to strong arm me. lol She didn't win.
Unregistered 08:54 AM 11-13-2015
When I worked at a preschool we tracked for children 18month-2yrs and the office kept it on file for one year. I was told this was for DHS purposes to show that we do not leave children in wet/poop diapers all day just in case a parent complained. We did send home daily notes also for these classes that had their potty times. To me it helped with toilet training because I could see the pattern when a child went so when the child was ready to train it made it easier. It didn't take too much time, I had my log and during nap or sometimes at the same time I would log on the daily sheets. I was in the 2 yr old class (14-16 children) and I had to get all my kids potty trained in order to move to the 3s class when they turned 3. When I opened my daycare I did the same since my ages are 18months-3yrs old and here most if not all the preschools require children to be potty trained to enter.
childcaremom 09:06 AM 11-13-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:

I am just wondering if there is any help in having a tracking device/app/form to use because it would really who who is ready to PT and who is not.
Gotcha. I like the idea above. Maybe if you kept a clipboard in the bathroom and you could write down child's name/time/success?

I keep track of diaper changes but I only have 5 in care. And it's just for my purposes (I am not required to) but do it in case of complaints.

I never thought of actually looking at it for potty training purposes. Good idea, though.
KidGrind 11:45 AM 11-13-2015
I refused to do daily sheets without a fee.

If a client wants a blow by blow of their children’s day, I firmly believe they should hire a nanny or become a stay-at-home parent.
laundrymom 12:02 PM 11-13-2015
lol. yeah I already told the parent that if they my PT policy didn't work for them, then to please give 30 day notice now.

Lucky for me I have some really good parents that I will tell them, sorry, your child is just not ready and they will honor that. BUT this mom oh boy, she thought she was going to war with me and tried to strong arm me. lol She didn't win.
The kids not potty learned. The mom is. When child can tell you. "I need to potty" and go. And be dry at all other times. THAT is potty learned. Catching it before they have an accident and sticking them on the potty every 30 minutes is not.
mommyneedsadayoff 03:07 PM 11-13-2015
So I have a family that is driving me nuts about their just turned 2 year old and potty training. I am sick to my head about having to hear them ask a million questions about it the 2 whole days the kid is here.

I have already given them my PT policy and list of things I will and won't do. One thing I forgot to say I won't do is participate in any kind of daily tracking sheet or such.

I have 14 kids here daily which about half are still in diapers, depending on the day.

this family is now asking me to do a daily report for their child so they know what is going on. they claim that the child is 100% potty trained at home, but because the child 100% DOES NOT USE THE POTTY HERE, I require the child to be in pull-ups. The family says they have to start the potty training process all over again every time they leave my house and said they are frustrated with me, it's my fault.

I already squashed that whole thing with the parents and told them my way or highway.

but now i am wondering if it would be a good idea to track the kids that potty train? I have never done it before, not too sure if there is an app or just a paper you fill out?? does any one have either of these?

How long does it take?

thanks in advance....OH and TGIF
She is not potty trained. Maybe ask mom and dad what they do at home to see if they just put her on the potty every hour or if she initiates it and goes by herself and redresses by herself, ect. If she is actually potty trained, she will say she needs to go, go, and be able to do a majority of it on her own. May need some help buttoning pants or wiping her bottom after a BM, but everything else should be done on her own. If they say they do most of it for her and they put her on the potty every x minutes/hours, then I would say flat out, "she is not ready". When she can master these skills and be accident free for two weeks, she is officially trained and will be allowed to wear underwear. Until then, I will not entertain the plan you have in use in your own house."
daycare 05:53 PM 11-13-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
She is not potty trained. Maybe ask mom and dad what they do at home to see if they just put her on the potty every hour or if she initiates it and goes by herself and redresses by herself, ect. If she is actually potty trained, she will say she needs to go, go, and be able to do a majority of it on her own. May need some help buttoning pants or wiping her bottom after a BM, but everything else should be done on her own. If they say they do most of it for her and they put her on the potty every x minutes/hours, then I would say flat out, "she is not ready". When she can master these skills and be accident free for two weeks, she is officially trained and will be allowed to wear underwear. Until then, I will not entertain the plan you have in use in your own house."
I did already tell them all of that and told dcm that the number one problem is that the dck does not talk at all when here, so if the child did need to go, they need to be able to tell me before it happens. so far that has yet to happen.

If you ask me, the child is not ready to pt and I am not going to change anything that I am doing here, but wanted to ask about the potty tracker, because it will help me in the long run. I have 22 kids enrolled, there is no way I can recall who is doing good and who is not without a log of some kind.

If I have a log, I think it would be helpful so I can see who is making progress and who is not. If they are not making progress, then I will just stop. No point.

I hate PTing...... more than anything in the world
Tags:potty training
Reply Up