Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Caught DCM Looking For Other Care
Unregistered 12:19 PM 09-18-2017
I changed my hours recently and DCM said they could make it work but if it couldnt they would let me know and give me 2 weeks notice. Not even a week later she responds to my craiglist ad, didnt know it was me, saying shes looking for care because her current providers hours dont work for them. I hate that they may get up and leave whenever, and i cant budget if idk what im making each month. Not knowing when this family is going to leave. Should i confront her and give them a two week notice and find a child to replace her?
bklsmum 12:41 PM 09-18-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I changed my hours recently and DCM said they could make it work but if it couldnt they would let me know and give me 2 weeks notice. Not even a week later she responds to my craiglist ad, didnt know it was me, saying shes looking for care because her current providers hours dont work for them. I hate that they may get up and leave whenever, and i cant budget if idk what im making each month. Not knowing when this family is going to leave. Should i confront her and give them a two week notice and find a child to replace her?
I'd replace first and then term. If she replied to your ad then she replied to others as well.
Unregistered 12:46 PM 09-18-2017
I dont really need the money, so i rather let her go on my terms, vs her possibly leaving and not even paying me for the 2 weeks. She is paid through the next three weeks. So i was thinking of giving her notice on monday that way she has already paid for the 2 weeks.
Blackcat31 12:47 PM 09-18-2017
I don't understand why provider's immediately want to term a family when they discover a family is looking for other care. ANY family could be leaving at any time and we wouldn't ever know. I think knowing is what bothers most providers but honestly as long as a family withdraws according to your contract, there isnt much else you can do.

If two weeks isn't enough to find other clients and fill the space I would suggest lengthening your notice period.

I interview EVERY potential client that contacts me (barring some odd situations) and created a wait list. That way I have a pool of interested clients that I can pull from if a family withdraws.

I encourage my families to check out other care programs/providers. I WANT them to want to be here because I am their first choice not just what's available.

I am always looking for that perfect fit family as a provider so I think it's only fair parents/clients can do the same.

I would never term a family simply because they are looking around. What if they look around and see you are the best program ever and decide to do WHATEVER it takes to make your new closing time work? You just never know.
Rockgirl 12:57 PM 09-18-2017
If your new hours truly don't work for them, shouldn't they be looking for care elsewhere? I look at it like this: they respect your business enough to not gripe and complain about the change in hours, or ask for special treatment, such as you staying open longer for them.
Unregistered 01:15 PM 09-18-2017
The problem is they told me they would make it work, when really their plan is to look for other care. I rather find a new family that wants to be here. Ive had a lot of other problems with this family so I sort of feel like its also a good reason to finally let them go.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 01:38 PM 09-18-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The problem is they told me they would make it work, when really their plan is to look for other care. I rather find a new family that wants to be here. Ive had a lot of other problems with this family so I sort of feel like its also a good reason to finally let them go.
They said that would make it work, but if they couldn't they'd provide two weeks notice. Unless she replied to your ad looking to start immediately I would still assume that they are going to provide notice, which from the OP was the agreement. I guess for me, I'd be glad to have the heads up that the hours aren't working for them (always a possibility when we change hours). I'd reply honestly to dcm: "Hey, that's my ad". And start prepping to fill the spot when they leave, then be expecting two weeks notice.
hwichlaz 02:37 PM 09-18-2017
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
They said that would make it work, but if they couldn't they'd provide two weeks notice. Unless she replied to your ad looking to start immediately I would still assume that they are going to provide notice, which from the OP was the agreement. I guess for me, I'd be glad to have the heads up that the hours aren't working for them (always a possibility when we change hours). I'd reply honestly to dcm: "Hey, that's my ad". And start prepping to fill the spot when they leave, then be expecting two weeks notice.
This exactly. Also, she may go interview some other places and decide that she really does love where her kids are at and will figure out how to make it work.
Unregistered 02:42 PM 09-18-2017
This is true. So i should mention that I know shes looking?
hwichlaz 02:47 PM 09-18-2017
no, don't say a thing
Snowmom 03:01 PM 09-18-2017
I would just continue advertising and if you find a good fit... there ya go.

I wouldn't fault any family leaving to find care that better suits their needs. We're a business. You can't take it personally.
storybookending 03:04 PM 09-18-2017
Sounds like something I would stay out of and not worry about. She said she would give you 2 weeks notice if it didn't work for her, I'd wait for that.

I encourage families to look elsewhere. My sister-in-law is pregnant and looking for care starting next summer. I will have an opening. One niece attends here already and one drops in when her main provider (my cousin) is closed. I told SIL I would not take her baby if she didn't at least interview at one other place, I honestly prefer they look into a handful of places. I want them to see what else is out there and choose me not just because they love me but because they love me AND they think my program best fits their needs.
Josiegirl 02:44 AM 09-19-2017
Hmmm, that's a tough one for me, not sure what I'd do. I don't know what other issues you've had with them but I think I'd let it play out and whatever happens happens.
I think part of why we want to 'dump them before they dump us' is our egos. It hurts whenever we don't 'get the job or someone fires us'; even though we are the business owners sometimes this is the way it feels to me. But I agree with don't take it personally, everybody has to do what works best for themselves and the best we can do is have a good plan in place for ourselves to protect our financial position.

I would have a hard time not replying to her inquiry though, just for the fun of it.
Cat Herder 05:20 AM 09-19-2017
"Hey Sally, This is my ad. I am sorry to hear my hours are not working out for your family. Here is a list of local providers. Please let me know ASAP when your last day will be so I can budget accordingly for my family. Thanks! Have a great evening."
daycare 05:26 AM 09-19-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
"Hey Sally, This is my ad. I am sorry to hear my hours are not working out for your family. Here is a list of local providers. Please let me know ASAP when your last day will be so I can budget accordingly for my family. Thanks! Have a great evening."
This is what I would do too!
284878 06:08 AM 09-19-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Great reply, I would send this.
Mom2hkn 08:36 AM 09-19-2017
The logical and business part in me would say nothing and let it play out. The sassy part of me would like to respond to the ad saying... Awesome I have a family not working out and seems like my hours aren't working for them, ask if they want to set up and interview and sign my name!
Unregistered 08:44 AM 09-19-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2hkn:
The logical and business part in me would say nothing and let it play out. The sassy part of me would like to respond to the ad saying... Awesome I have a family not working out and seems like my hours aren't working for them, ask if they want to set up and interview and sign my name!
Lol that would be so funny
Annalee 09:08 AM 09-19-2017
I don't have a problem with clients looking for other care, but I do have a problem when they are bad-mouthing me to these other daycares. I terminated in July for this. Probably every client in my program have checked other daycares repeatedly for a $1 less, but they don't necessarily say bad things about me. Money, location, closings, etc. doesn't bother me, but to say I serve yucky food and force her child to play alone and sit her in a room all by herself (I have one large room) and the babies are mean to her child, etc struck a nerve. This dcg4 was feeding into her mom's frenzy and it backfired. The mom tried to convince me she was only looking for a better preschool program....but nope, I was done!
Tags:client - leaving, client looking for other daycare
Reply Up