Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can You Explain This To Me?
Country Kids 01:27 PM 03-26-2013
The paragraph below is part of our "STARS" program. I don't understand what its saying as Culture, Ethnic Groups, and Races to me all seem to be the same thing. Also what would non-sterotypical role for a child be? I think also doing it for the adults will be hard also, as there are few and far between of seeing non -steroptypical roles anymore.

Also, trying to figure out where I'm going to display all this.

The program uses a comprehensive indoor environmental arrangement that supports children’s learning and development, including adult or commercially-produced displays that: represent various cultures, ethnic groups, and races; represent different ages, genders, and various abilities; and show children and adults in non-stereotypical roles.
Heidi 01:41 PM 03-26-2013
-multi-cultural dolls

-photos of different kinds of families, from different ethnic backgrounds, some of which have differing abilities, young and old, doign atypical jobs. Female doctors or construction workers, males wearing aprons or folding laundry...lol. Make a collage of pics you find online. The kiddos can help you. If you have a diverse group, pictures of the kids and their families can be included or prevail. Then, you are hitting the "diversity" along with "displaying children's work" AND "displaying pictures of the children", which is surely in there somewhere too.

-books with people from different backgrounds and with different abilities, books in foreign languages

-foods from other cultures on your menu and in your dramatic play area

You don't need all of these things, just a little here and there.
Crystal 01:42 PM 03-26-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
The paragraph below is part of our "STARS" program. I don't understand what its saying as Culture, Ethnic Groups, and Races to me all seem to be the same thing. Also what would non-sterotypical role for a child be? I think also doing it for the adults will be hard also, as there are few and far between of seeing non -steroptypical roles anymore.

Also, trying to figure out where I'm going to display all this.

The program uses a comprehensive indoor environmental arrangement that supports children’s learning and development, including adult or commercially-produced displays that: represent various cultures, ethnic groups, and races; represent different ages, genders, and various abilities; and show children and adults in non-stereotypical roles.
Culture does not neccessarily have anything to do with race. Culture is abut a group of people who share common values/interests etc. For instance your group of Daycare kids at your program has a culture in how they work together, interact with one another, etc. It could be a religious group, a group of dog lovers/owners, a group of knitters, etc. The culture at your workplace might be diffeent than the culture of your home. The culture of school is different than the culture of church, etc.

Non-stereotypical roles : a boy can be a nurse....a girl can be a firefighter

Ethnic groups - hindi, punjabi, filipino, etc.

Race - hispanic, asian, african-american, caucasian, etc.

As for materials that represent these things....make it about the group you work with. Have parents send photos of them and their children...create photo displays and albums. Maybe have them make books at home that represent their family culture. If you have families from very diverse backgrounds, ask them to bring in items that represent their backgrounds - perhaps pottery, artwork, clothing, etc. Bring in books that represent different roles in jobs with boys/girls/men/women in non-stereotypical roles. Supply paper/paint/crayons/markers in different skin tone colors and have children create self-portraits. Bring in books or posters that represent differing abilities and special needs.....sign language books, braille cards, etc. Borrow a wheelchair or walker or crutches for children to try out so that they can develop empathy for those who have to use them, etc.
Country Kids 02:03 PM 03-26-2013
OK, I'm really going to have to look at this.

I don't/haven't ever done "typical" stereotypes in my childcare so my own kiddos and the daycare kiddos don't usually know what "typical" means.

The majority of them go to female pediatricians, a few work together, nursing school here graduates tons of male nurses and female figherfighters as we have that program here. We have girls/boys that play opposite sports (football,wrestling,etc). I guess in this area we don't have "typical" stereotypes.

What we don't have though is alot of diverse races/ethnic groups. You have to go about 3 hours away to really experience that. The ones that we do have really stick together and you rarely will see them out and about. We mainly have Mexican/chinese restaurants for ethnicity.

All of my kiddos are of the same race and the majority of the parents grew up right here in town. So I guess what I'm thinking is its not common for my little ones to see someone who is different then them. So trying to show them at (2-5 years) that there are people that are different then them might be hard because they won't see them in real life but just in books/pictures.

Really I don't think we should have to point out differences to kids as it doesn't matter to them anyway. To them everyone is a friend no matter where you come from!
Angelsj 02:13 PM 03-26-2013
You can use many things, but I look deliberately for dolls of color, and books that integrate many cultures. We speak several languages in the house, and listen to LOTS of music from many cultures and in many languages. Dress up clothes are another fun way to do either cultures or workers that are out of the norm (your female police, or male nurses).

I have duplo people of all shades of brown, and when I play with the kids, the "families" are made up of many differing peoples. Doll house families are the same way, I buy and mix.

We talk about mixtures of beliefs and holidays/holy days, as they arrive. We may read a book about Hannukah, or Kwanzaa. We talk about Easter, but also about Passover. I have books showing real kids from many countries.
You have to be somewhat deliberate about it, searching out these things, and don't worry about whether they "see" it in real life. It makes an impression.
Country Kids 02:21 PM 03-26-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
You can use many things, but I look deliberately for dolls of color, and books that integrate many cultures. We speak several languages in the house, and listen to LOTS of music from many cultures and in many languages. Dress up clothes are another fun way to do either cultures or workers that are out of the norm (your female police, or male nurses).

I have duplo people of all shades of brown, and when I play with the kids, the "families" are made up of many differing peoples. Doll house families are the same way, I buy and mix.

We talk about mixtures of beliefs and holidays/holy days, as they arrive. We may read a book about Hannukah, or Kwanzaa. We talk about Easter, but also about Passover. I have books showing real kids from many countries.
You have to be somewhat deliberate about it, searching out these things, and don't worry about whether they "see" it in real life. It makes an impression.
Where do you buy all your stuff? The closest toy store is 1.5 hours away and the closet "teachers" store is 2 hours away.

I look at buying things through the catalogs I receive but its expensive. I don't even know if I can do the "STARS" program with my setup and if I can, it may take $1,000 or so to even get all the additional stuff I'm going to need!
Crystal 02:44 PM 03-26-2013
Where do you buy all your stuff? The closest toy store is 1.5 hours away and the closet "teachers" store is 2 hours away.

I look at buying things through the catalogs I receive but its expensive. I don't even know if I can do the "STARS" program with my setup and if I can, it may take $1,000 or so to even get all the additional stuff I'm going to need!
You do NOT have to buy commercially made items. MAKE them!!!!

Like I said before.....have families send photos....so maybe they are all white, but do they have the same hair color, eye color, skin tone, etc.? They probably come from different backgrounds as far as culture....one family might be really into farming, while another might be atech geeks, etc.

I have dolls of different race and books that represent diversity, but other than that I have never bought ANYTHING to represent diversity.

Make stick puppets, play games from different cultures, laminate photos cut from magazines and make a collage of foods, pick up menus from those chinese and mexican restaraunts and set up a little restaraunt for dramatic play. It can be done VERY inexpensively, just get creative!
Blackcat31 02:49 PM 03-26-2013
http://www.earlychildhoodnews.com/ea...?ArticleID=312

GREAT article and resource.

A while back, I asked members here to send us post cards from where they live. It was a wonderful experience for my DCK's. We took the time to learn about all sorts of different things for each state.

It was a lesson in diversity too!

Incorporating multi-cultural and diversity into your program is super easy...like Crystal said....just get creative.

Go to your library and get a book and initiate a discussion. Play a movie and talk about how many characters have blonde hair or brown hair etc....

Music....download music from other countries, talk about the different traditions each family has in their own homes, make a food dish from another country.

Being multi-cultural really is super easy to do.
Crystal 03:15 PM 03-26-2013
I recommend this book for YOU to read to learn how to incorporate this in your program:

http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Education...ias+curriculum
Lyss 03:45 PM 03-26-2013

In a pinch you can always do Google image searches and print out different photos of multicultural families and so on.
Angelsj 05:10 PM 03-26-2013

I have added many things over the years, but some good places: Garage sales, craigs list, thrift stores. Look for second hand if possible esp when you are doing clothing. I have picked up some very unique dolls and doll house families from second hand stores, as well as traditional clothing, and uniform stuff.

I will also admit I LOVE Amazon. I bought a prime membership (free two day shipping) and I usually purchase one to two items a month or save up for more costly items.

As to your STARS program, I would start small, maybe with one or two things you print out, like pictures or with a bulletin board with a culture as your theme. Ethnic skin color crayons are pretty inexpensive, as is music (check out you tube for some ideas. You could purchase things you like later.)
AmyKidsCo 08:10 PM 03-26-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
You do NOT have to buy commercially made items. MAKE them!!!!

Like I said before.....have families send photos....so maybe they are all white, but do they have the same hair color, eye color, skin tone, etc.? They probably come from different backgrounds as far as culture....one family might be really into farming, while another might be atech geeks, etc.

I have dolls of different race and books that represent diversity, but other than that I have never bought ANYTHING to represent diversity.

Make stick puppets, play games from different cultures, laminate photos cut from magazines and make a collage of foods, pick up menus from those chinese and mexican restaraunts and set up a little restaraunt for dramatic play. It can be done VERY inexpensively, just get creative!
Keep your eyes open for pictures in magazines or calendar pictures that you can cut out and laminate. I had to make a whole photo file of photos like this when I was in school, and once you got used to looking for them it was easy to find tons of pictures.

BTW, diversity isn't just in people either - not all cows are black/white, not all pigs are pink - look for and promote diversity (differentness) all over!
ksmith 11:11 PM 03-26-2013
OK, I'm really going to have to look at this.

I don't/haven't ever done "typical" stereotypes in my childcare so my own kiddos and the daycare kiddos don't usually know what "typical" means.

The majority of them go to female pediatricians, a few work together, nursing school here graduates tons of male nurses and female figherfighters as we have that program here. We have girls/boys that play opposite sports (football,wrestling,etc). I guess in this area we don't have "typical" stereotypes.

What we don't have though is alot of diverse races/ethnic groups. You have to go about 3 hours away to really experience that. The ones that we do have really stick together and you rarely will see them out and about. We mainly have Mexican/chinese restaurants for ethnicity.

All of my kiddos are of the same race and the majority of the parents grew up right here in town. So I guess what I'm thinking is its not common for my little ones to see someone who is different then them. So trying to show them at (2-5 years) that there are people that are different then them might be hard because they won't see them in real life but just in books/pictures.

Really I don't think we should have to point out differences to kids as it doesn't matter to them anyway. To them everyone is a friend no matter where you come from!
The fact that they are not exposed makes it even more important. Just because the kids in your care are all of the same race doesn't necessarily mean they do not have others in their family of other races. You could also get a child of a different race/ethnic background at any time. Just look at all the materials you have in your home. Like others have said pictures are a great way to diversify things, as well as dolls, books. This doesn't have to extend to only having various races, but could be those with disabilities too. You could also look at cultures like where people live (in the city, country, suburbs, etc.) as those types of places can have a culture of their own.
Tags:stars program
Reply Up