Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Communication board for non verbal child...
MamaB'sKidz 05:14 AM 09-21-2015
I have a non verbal 3 year old that I want to try and help communicate better here at daycare. I was wondering if anyone has made and used a communication board for kids and did it work? I made one and tried to upload the pic but couldn't get it to work.
My DCB gets very frustrated because he can't communicate and may other things and it makes for a challenging day for us all. So I'm praying this may help??!! His therapist and I tried sign language with him but the mom shot us down. I'm sure she may not like this either but I at least want to try. Any thoughts??
jenboo 06:00 AM 09-21-2015
PECS are amazing and totally work! You can Google tons of ideas depending on what specifically you are looking for.
spedmommy4 06:42 AM 09-21-2015
I have found its most helpful if I just take pictures of the things in my own setting. Young children are still concrete thinkers so, for many, a picture of some random playground on Google does not represent my playground. I actually had to change out the visuals in my schedule because two of my kids would see the outdoor picture and cry when they realized we were not going to the park.

You can just take snapshots of the most commonly used items in your childcare, to offer as choices throughout the day.

For requesting, I used these in my childcare
Learning Resources Talk Block Set of 5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NBIUCC..._Suaawb66M0V2P
They are a little spendy since you have to buy as a set but they last forever. My little guys mom wouldn't buy into sign either and this was the only other way we could get him to request things without screaming. We recorded more, all done, my turn, I want a drink, and, I want that toy on the blocks. These things saved my sanity.
Sunchimes 07:17 AM 09-21-2015
I made signing part of the curriculum when I had a mom in denial. Everyone learns it from babyhood on. My typical parents are thrilled, the little ones are much less frustrated, and next time I have a mom in denial, I'm covered. My one year olds sign more, eat, all done, milk, no, and please. If they stay until 4, they usually have 20-25 words and a few letters. We started by watching Signing time videos. I don't do screen time anymore, but I just incorporate them into our routine. I signed no to hubby at a family gathering this weekend. He was not amused, and I will be awhile living it down.
Luvnmykidz 06:30 PM 09-21-2015
My DD had one when she was younger. I also used them in my preschool classroom years ago. They do work. Some children responded better to realistic images, and some did well with the boardmaker images.
Reply Up