Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>baby stopped breathing turned purple
Unregistered 11:21 AM 09-22-2015
One of our 5 month old baby in our care stoped breathing. We had fed him his cereal and formula 1hour and 30 minutes prior. I played him down back first on the crib mattres, and walked away to another room (daycare rooms are next to each other) I vam3 back to check on him 2 minutes later he was bleeding and saliva was coming for his mouth. He was turning purple he looked lifeless I started performing CPR on him. My assistant called 911..after a few minutes his color started coming back and he started to breathe avain. The emt arrived they said he was fine. I contacted his parents and I went to the hospital...they said he might have had a se8zure. I don't know what happened. What and why please help what should I do. How to explain to the oarnest. When everything we did was normal... He was just a bit quieter than 7saual. Please help
Blackcat31 11:25 AM 09-22-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
One of our 5 month old baby in our care stoped breathing. We had fed him his cereal and formula 1hour and 30 minutes prior. I played him down back first on the crib mattres, and walked away to another room (daycare rooms are next to each other) I vam3 back to check on him 2 minutes later he was bleeding and saliva was coming for his mouth. He was turning purple he looked lifeless I started performing CPR on him. My assistant called 911..after a few minutes his color started coming back and he started to breathe avain. The emt arrived they said he was fine. I contacted his parents and I went to the hospital...they said he might have had a se8zure. I don't know what happened. What and why please help what should I do. How to explain to the oarnest. When everything we did was normal... He was just a bit quieter than 7saual. Please help
Deep breaths...

I am so sorry this happened but it sounds like you did everything right.

What state are you in and what is protocol for things like this?
Thriftylady 12:07 PM 09-22-2015
While it is important to find out why, keep in mind that you did the right thing. YOU saved his life, got him breathing again and got him medical help. Work with the parents now to find out the why and get written medical instructions from the doctors of what you should do.
Heidi 12:18 PM 09-22-2015
Ditto what the other's said.

You did good!

I would only tell the other parent's that one of the youngsters had a medical emergency today, and you called 911. It turned out ok, he's ok.

Also, document carefully, and be sure to report this to your regulator in the correct way.
grateday 12:28 PM 09-22-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Right away, I was thinking seizure. My son has them and freezes and turns purple. I used to do CPR too when he was an event. I am sorry you had to witness that, it is traumatizing. I hope the outcome and the prognosis for the child is going to be ok.

If it is seizures, and it happens again follow the seizure protocol. It could be a number of things, I would definately require a medical assessment and note from the doctor before accepting into care again. I would want a plan with no gaps. I would notify licensor too, and see what you come up with together. Hopefully the parents believe in open communication.
When in doubt always call 911.
littletots 01:07 PM 09-22-2015
Scary indeed. Your training kicked in. Wonderful results.
Reply Up