Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Questions about CDA
Josiegirl 02:51 PM 09-23-2015
I just finished my first true online course and I was really pleased with the whole process. It was through CareCourses and was a 20 hour course. I'm kind of toying with the idea of going for my CDA BUT it sounds like it would take forever, plus it's costly. But I have some questions and instead of calling them I figured I'd ask here first.
It says you have to have 120 hours of trainings prior to application, does that mean 120 hours, even if some were years ago? Or does it mean only recent trainings?
When you have someone come to your house for 'verification', what does that mean? Is it like an assessment? What do they do?
Do you have to renew your CDA annually? How is that done?

I'm 61. I just don't know if it would be worth it for me to go through all of that. Anyone who has their CDA, if you wouldn't mind sharing your experiences, I'd love to hear them. Would you do it again, knowing what you know now?
Blackcat31 03:00 PM 09-23-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I just finished my first true online course and I was really pleased with the whole process. It was through CareCourses and was a 20 hour course. I'm kind of toying with the idea of going for my CDA BUT it sounds like it would take forever, plus it's costly. But I have some questions and instead of calling them I figured I'd ask here first.
It says you have to have 120 hours of trainings prior to application, does that mean 120 hours, even if some were years ago? Or does it mean only recent trainings?
When you have someone come to your house for 'verification', what does that mean? Is it like an assessment? What do they do?
Do you have to renew your CDA annually? How is that done?

I'm 61. I just don't know if it would be worth it for me to go through all of that. Anyone who has their CDA, if you wouldn't mind sharing your experiences, I'd love to hear them. Would you do it again, knowing what you know now?

It's MORE than worth it in my opinion. You could qualify for a TEACH grant through your local CCR&R offices. They are also a great resource for info for the CDA.

IIRC, I had to re-new after 3 yrs the first time and then every 5 after that.

This site has a lot of good info
http://www.earlychildhoodnyc.org/education/CDA.cfm
Josiegirl 02:34 AM 09-24-2015
Thanks BC, that site was very helpful! I think the thing that's keeping me from going ahead is the 2 hour verification. I detest anyone coming into my home and watching me. I am that self-conscious and paranoid.
I must carry this from my childhood or something but in everything I do(not others, I just apply it to myself)it's either right or wrong so I must do it perfectly. KWIM?
I'll have to keep thinking about it and maybe just keep advancing with the STARS, for now.
Tags:cda
Reply Up