Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Trouble Breathing At Nap!
BabyMonkeys 07:30 AM 09-24-2015
My kiddos sleep in a dark room with a sound machine, with the door closed. Yesterday I heard a strange noise and went in to check on them and the 15m was wheezing and having a hard time breathing. Scared me half to death. I immediately called the mom and told her that she needed to come and get him, and that if he gets any worse I am calling 911. Thankfully I didn't have to.

He had a minor cough when I laid him down, but nothing I was worried about. Mom took him to the Dr. and they diagnosed croup. My own children have had croup before, and it sounded nothing alike. With croup the cough was horrible. My son also has asthma, which is what the wheezing sounds like me. I trust the mom completely though. She is keeping him home the rest of the week and bringing a note on Monday.

It just keeps running through my mind that things could have been so much worse had I not checked on that small sound that I may not have even heard if I were in the kitchen instead of the living room, which is right outside the baby room.
Blackcat31 08:45 AM 09-24-2015
Originally Posted by angelw2babies:
My kiddos sleep in a dark room with a sound machine, with the door closed. Yesterday I heard a strange noise and went in to check on them and the 15m was wheezing and having a hard time breathing. Scared me half to death. I immediately called the mom and told her that she needed to come and get him, and that if he gets any worse I am calling 911. Thankfully I didn't have to.

He had a minor cough when I laid him down, but nothing I was worried about. Mom took him to the Dr. and they diagnosed croup. My own children have had croup before, and it sounded nothing alike. With croup the cough was horrible. My son also has asthma, which is what the wheezing sounds like me. I trust the mom completely though. She is keeping him home the rest of the week and bringing a note on Monday.

It just keeps running through my mind that things could have been so much worse had I not checked on that small sound that I may not have even heard if I were in the kitchen instead of the living room, which is right outside the baby room.
Oh, how scary!!

I bought a video monitoring system and use it for nap times. That way ALL children are within my actual line of sight while they are sleeping. .....because of things like you just mentioned. It's getting scary...

I also have a child with a medical condition that I have to visually SEE for any signs of distress while they are asleep so the video monitor makes me feel a bit better even though I am really only 5-6 feet from the room they are all napping in.

Infants (under 12 months) here have to stay within sight at ALL times so they sleep right under my nose basically. We cannot place an infant behind closed doors at all here, even with a video monitor.
littletots 10:43 AM 09-24-2015
Very scary. Under my license I can't close doors, turn off lights, under 3yrs in line of sight. Under 1yr even more rules. I sit with kids as they nap. I do one nap. Glad to hear mom got him to dr & keeping him home.
Reply Up