Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>sleep habits
Annalee 11:41 AM 09-18-2015
Has anyone noticed a change in sleep habits of infants? This co-sleeping, no confinement in a crib/pnp is taking a new turn for nap time. I am wondering if some infants might sleep better on a 2-inch mat than the bed. I know it is illegal and I don't do it until 12 months, but training a parent and child that they must sleep in a bed to make the transition to group care easier is becoming the norm for me. After 6 weeks my new mom gets it and the 10 month old is sleeping this week....but it was a rough 6 weeks.
Ariana 11:56 AM 09-18-2015
No one seems to understand what GROUP care is! They want individualized care for half the price. I see ads all the time from moms looking for "AP friendly daycare providers". AP means Attachment PARENTING, not attachment caregiving. If you want your child attached to YOU stay home.

I inform all of my parents that I raised my child using AP but in daycare their child will be sleep trained.
Blackcat31 12:19 PM 09-18-2015
I have a letter for all new parents looking to place their infant in care that outlines what GROUP care means and address most of the issues mentioned in the first post. Sleep issues, being held 24/7, not the only child in care, issues with bottle feeding etc.....

I am VERY firm and clear in regards to my expectations when I interview or enroll a new child/family so that they are aware of what I will and won't do as a GROUP care provider.

Saves a lot of head aches later.
Annalee 12:30 PM 09-18-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a letter for all new parents looking to place their infant in care that outlines what GROUP care means and address most of the issues mentioned in the first post. Sleep issues, being held 24/7, not the only child in care, issues with bottle feeding etc.....

I am VERY firm and clear in regards to my expectations when I interview or enroll a new child/family so that they are aware of what I will and won't do as a GROUP care provider.

Could you PM me that handout please. THanks!
Blackcat31 12:32 PM 09-18-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Could you PM me that handout please. THanks!
done!
Annalee 12:35 PM 09-18-2015
done!
Thanks a bunch!
Unregistered 12:35 PM 09-18-2015
To be honest, I think this whole baby sleeps with mommy thing has gotten way out of control. I don't understand how a parent can sleep better with a baby moving around. Neither really gets any sleep at all. Parents expecting providers to continue the AP at dc is Ludacris. Not realistic or fair to the other kids in care. I'm a firm believer in putting baby in a crib with a well fitted sheet and nothing else. Its the safest place. Children need to learn how to soothe them selves to sleep with out constant interaction from other sources.
renodeb 12:39 PM 09-18-2015
I always have a harder time sleep training the kids that have slept with mom and dad instead of there own bed. Maybe parents just don't want to fight there kids? All I know is my own kids both slept in there own beds from the get go and it made for much better nights sleep all the way around. Kids are adaptable and will learn if they get consistent training.
Heidi 01:02 PM 09-18-2015
Yes...the co-sleeping trend is really making things more difficult. I have to say, thanks Dr. Sears.

My own kiddos slept in a basinet next to my bed for about 4-5 weeks, then I transitioned them to their crib for naps first, then over night. They LOVED their bed! Kids I've had here since they were wee, LOVE their beds. I rarely have any sleep issues with them. Kids that I get later (as in my new 11 1/2 mo), are horrible sleepers. Otherwise an adorable child, but it's going to be a rough few weeks!
BabyMonkeys 01:17 PM 09-18-2015
My own children slept with me until they were around a year old. It worked for us. I liked being able to nurse them and then go right back to sleep. I was all about the attachment parenting. It was great, however I was able to stay home with mine.

I understand the parent's desire to sleep with their baby, more time that they actually get to be with them, but it is not fair to the baby. I am pretty AP parenting friendly, as much as a daycare can be, but sleep is the one thing that I insisted my families work with me on. Thankfully they all did and all three of my little guys sleep like champs.
daycare 01:37 PM 09-18-2015

i dont have any infants, but i do have a lot of kids who are 2+ that still co-sleep and it is you know what getting them to nap more than 15 min. they are sooooo tired and they pass out right away, but as soon as they realize that no one is there to sleep with them they wake up.
UGH.
ok I wanna see the letter to inquiring mind wants to know.
Blackcat31 02:19 PM 09-18-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I PM'ed it to you..
e.j. 02:28 PM 09-18-2015

Would you mind sharing it with all of us? I'd be willing to bet most of us could use a little help with this issue. I'm definitely seeing a shift in sleep habits of the infants I care for, with breastfeeding babies being the most difficult for me to get down to sleep.
Blackcat31 02:33 PM 09-18-2015
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Would you mind sharing it with all of us? I'd be willing to bet most of us could use a little help with this issue. I'm definitely seeing a shift in sleep habits of the infants I care for, with breastfeeding babies being the most difficult for me to get down to sleep.
You bet!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8_...ew?usp=sharing

If anyone is unable to open or access the file, let me know and Ill get it to you in an different way.
jenboo 02:39 PM 09-18-2015
i dont have any infants, but i do have a lot of kids who are 2+ that still co-sleep and it is you know what getting them to nap more than 15 min. they are sooooo tired and they pass out right away, but as soon as they realize that no one is there to sleep with them they wake up.
UGH.
Too bad you can't put them all in the same bed!
Ariana 02:49 PM 09-18-2015
You bet!

If anyone is unable to open or access the file, let me know and Ill get it to you in an different way.
This is great! I usually tell the parents in the interview what my expectations are face to face BUT this will be great for "friendly reminders"!!

Sleep training a 20 month old right now. Fun times
Febby 05:32 PM 09-18-2015
UGH.
This is why I dread new enrollments in my (three year old) room. Quite a few parents don't work, but want preschool for their children. About half didn't/don't nap at home and most of the other half co-sleep for naps. Either way, headache until they've adjusted.
e.j. 05:44 PM 09-18-2015
You bet!

Thank you so much! Such a great resource. If you don't mind, I'd like to include a copy of it in my infant enrollment packets.
Nisaryn 08:55 PM 09-18-2015
done!
Actually, BC, could you send that my way as well? TIA!
Nisaryn 09:00 PM 09-18-2015
Hmmm...I dunno, my own son sleeps next to my bed in a co-sleeper but he often ends up in bed with me since he is BF. We haven't had any issues really though with either of us being able to sleep (even hubby gets his sleep and he needs it more than I do being military) during the day my son sleeps in a PnP just like all my other DCKs. But then we started making him nap in the PnP when he was born during daytime naps so maybe that's why he does so well. Maybe starting early is the key.
Blackcat31 07:08 AM 09-19-2015
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Thank you so much! Such a great resource. If you don't mind, I'd like to include a copy of it in my infant enrollment packets.
Feel free...

If it can help providers and parents with the home environment - daycare environment balance then that's great!
Blackcat31 07:09 AM 09-19-2015
Originally Posted by Nisaryn:
Actually, BC, could you send that my way as well? TIA!
Just click the link below..

Nisaryn 07:18 AM 09-19-2015
Just click the link below..

You're amazing!
Reply Up