Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Update on my 12 mo hard case
auntymimi 09:54 AM 09-21-2015
he's asleep! And I'm not holding him! He never did get the hang of the pack n play, but now that he's old enough he's on a mat with the others. It was super hard and I was thinking term, but he finally learned that "we're not getting up until rest time is over". It's been 4 weeks of work but it's so worth it! Thank you all for all the advice and support, Black cat and thrifty lady for giving me the courage to have the frank talk with mom to help me get this little guy the rest he needs!
Blackcat31 10:06 AM 09-21-2015
Originally Posted by auntymimi:
he's asleep! And I'm not holding him! He never did get the hang of the pack n play, but now that he's old enough he's on a mat with the others. It was super hard and I was thinking term, but he finally learned that "we're not getting up until rest time is over". It's been 4 weeks of work but it's so worth it! Thank you all for all the advice and support, Black cat and thrifty lady for giving me the courage to have the frank talk with mom to help me get this little guy the rest he needs!

That's awesome!!

Here's to a TON more quiet during rest time from now on!

Heidi 10:46 AM 09-21-2015
working on one right now. I'm going with the PNP though. All my others sleep in the playroom downstairs, with a camera/monitor. I have another camera on him. I am usually upstairs during nap time (perfectly legal here).

I had to sit with mine for 28 minutes today, laying him back down every time he got up (about 20 times, I think), untill he understood I meant it. His first week (last week), I had to rock him the first 2 days, then I did the "sit in" the 3rd. After a 3 day weekend (for him), I expected back-sliding.
Heidi 11:25 AM 09-21-2015
Ugh!

He slept 31 minutes! That's it!

I hate this part.
auntymimi 12:34 PM 09-21-2015
This kid was the toughest kid ever! I was at my wits end, even cry it out didn't work. he just screamed the whole nap and then screamed all day to be held/ soothed to sleep. It was awful. It wasn't until I realized (with help from veteran providers) that if mom wasn't at least trying to teach him to sleep like he had to here, it would never work. Thank God she was able to see the light! He'd never slept without being held, or in the car/stroller and never napped for longer than 20 min at a time. Uhhhggggg! He slept mostly unassisted for an hour and a half for the first time ever! Woke up a whole new kid!
Heidi 03:51 PM 09-21-2015
This kid was the toughest kid ever! I was at my wits end, even cry it out didn't work. he just screamed the whole nap and then screamed all day to be held/ soothed to sleep. It was awful. It wasn't until I realized (with help from veteran providers) that if mom wasn't at least trying to teach him to sleep like he had to here, it would never work. Thank God she was able to see the light! He'd never slept without being held, or in the car/stroller and never napped for longer than 20 min at a time. Uhhhggggg! He slept mostly unassisted for an hour and a half for the first time ever! Woke up a whole new kid!

After my little man's catnap today, I went in an layed him back down. Then I let him fuss, and I had a visitor (interviewing a sub), and guess what? He went back to sleep! I watched him on the monitor. He just stuck his little rear in the air and crashed for another hour. Whoot whoot! First time falling asleep without help!
Heidi 12:34 PM 09-22-2015
So what, specifically, did you do?
littletots 01:09 PM 09-22-2015
Wow! Play Happy napper song now
auntymimi 05:17 PM 09-22-2015
It started ever so slowly, lol. He had never been put down for nap or night time, he literally was held by grandma while he slept for nap (she's disabled so she kept him until he became Mobil) or held and breastfed by mom all night. He had no schedule and usually only slept 20 min at a time. He basically wanted newborn like catnaps all day. He was an understandably very grumpy, clingy, scream-y baby! I started by giving him a schedule. I got him at 9 mos during the summer when the only other non schoolager in care was my own 2 yo. I adjusted her nap to go down before kids got here ( I do 2nd shift care mostly) and we took our walks during what would be dcb nap since he would usually fall asleep in the stroller and I could count on at least that much rest. As the kids went back to school we shortened our walks to him being drowsy, but I would take him out and lay him down, rub his back next to the other kids on their mats while playing the curious George soundtrack until he went to sleep. Now I just sit near him. We had a hiccup where I tried unsuccessfully to get him to nap in the pnp, it never worked. He would scream the whole nap. Ferber didn't work, cio, nothing. Honestly I was ready to give up, until I asked for advice and realized if mom wasn't going to do her part that this would never work. So I gave mom the ultimatum and it worked! She still cosleeps, but he's not nursing all night and he no longer naps in the stroller, car, or in arms at home. If the family didn't get with the program it never would have happened. All told it's been a 4 month long battle.
auntymimi 06:39 PM 09-22-2015
Originally Posted by littletots:
Wow! Play Happy napper song now

auntymimi 08:35 PM 09-23-2015
It started ever so slowly, lol. He had never been put down for nap or night time, he literally was held by grandma while he slept for nap (she's disabled so she kept him until he became Mobil) or held and breastfed by mom all night. He had no schedule and usually only slept 20 min at a time. He basically wanted newborn like catnaps all day. He was an understandably very grumpy, clingy, scream-y baby! I started by giving him a schedule. I got him at 9 mos during the summer when the only other non schoolager in care was my own 2 yo. I adjusted her nap to go down before kids got here ( I do 2nd shift care mostly) and we took our walks during what would be dcb nap since he would usually fall asleep in the stroller and I could count on at least that much rest. As the kids went back to school we shortened our walks to him being drowsy, but I would take him out and lay him down, rub his back next to the other kids on their mats while playing the curious George soundtrack until he went to sleep. Now I just sit near him. We had a hiccup where I tried unsuccessfully to get him to nap in the pnp, it never worked. He would scream the whole nap. Ferber didn't work, cio, nothing. Honestly I was ready to give up, until I asked for advice and realized if mom wasn't going to do her part that this would never work. So I gave mom the ultimatum and it worked! She still cosleeps, but he's not nursing all night and he no longer naps in the stroller, car, or in arms at home. If the family didn't get with the program it never would have happened. All told it's been a 4 month long battle.
Also, my group changed quite a bit. It was very hard to nap him with non napping 4-9 yo home all day especially since I couldn't possibly hold him the way he thought he needed and it would take me so long to get him to sleep and the second I bent over the crib to lay him down he's wake screaming. BUT if I laid him down in the stroller he would be content to sleep as long as we walked, and my sa loved the 40 min walk to the park ( it took so long to walk because they're pokey, not because it's very far) as we live on a popular lovely shaded trail in the mountains and summers here are glorious! He would wake as soon as we arrived and would usually fall asleep again on the way back. When my sa went back to school my group changed again. I now had 2 2 yo, 1 yo dcb, 4 yo dcg, 3yo dcb and after school crowd. So now I have other nappers! Dcb arrives at 11:30 but my 2 and 3 yo were ready for nap around 12:30-1:00. Dcb would usually come in overtired and cranky so we would have lunch 11:30 and go for a short walk be back by 12:30 I would take him out of stroller and hold him while I supervised potty and read stories and then try to lay him down in pnp. Usually he would wake and scream cry while I got the others settled for nap. This is my ferberizing phase I would spend entire nap at this point trying to settle dcb in his nap room, while the others slept. Luckily I have a lot of space. Even when he would settle, he'd only sleep for 20 min. I consulted this forum and knew that having a routine was key, we did go down the same time everyday after the same sequence of events (lunch, walk, bed) but I added the music (same soundtrack everyday to be turned off, or changed when nap was over) and gave up on the pnp. He did much better on the mat. Maybe because he sleeps on a bed at home with mom (she no longer holds him in a chair). I started by sitting next to him and patting his back, but it was much easier than leaning over a pnp or laying him back down a million times! I'll add that if my other kiddos weren't champion nappers, it never would have been possible. His late nap if you will still takes place on our walk to the same park for dd soccer practice at 6 he goes to bed at 9:30-10:00 and is up by 8:00 8-30. Mom agreed to keep the same type of schedule and quit letting him nap in arms or in the car and he sleeps at the same times each day. At first he would want to wake 20 min into nap and I would pat his back and he'd settle back to sleep (usually), the music helped with this quite a bit.
Reply Up