Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Over The Coughing and Parents
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 10:36 AM 09-23-2015
All my daycare kids have coughs and runny noses. I had one parent who's kid is always the one that brings stuff into daycare. He wasn't here yesterday so this morning she was like he has a nasty cough but no fever. I was like it seems everyone has it and before I could get out that it is the weather change she was like oh he must have got it from here. Then when I was like it is because of the higher than normal ragweed that people without allergies are suffering too. Then she said oh I was just kidding. No you weren't. So then I noticed he was warm to the touch and was only 99.2 which technically not a fever.

Of course he has been just a total mess today. He is 2-1/2 and doesn't talk at all so when he woke up this afternoon he started making dinosaur noises to wake everyone up.

Ugh and I just got a call that my one dck that has been out all week has croup.
auntymimi 10:49 AM 09-23-2015
Why is it the parents who drag sick kids to daycare are always complaining it came from daycare!? I promise that I don't manufacture rotavirus in the basement!
Blackcat31 11:14 AM 09-23-2015
Originally Posted by auntymimi:
Why is it the parents who drag sick kids to daycare are always complaining it came from daycare!? I promise that I don't manufacture rotavirus in the basement!
Illness is one area I do not have any issues with.

I send home a reminder of my illness policies around the beginning of the fall/winter season and also address the "blame game" topic so parents KNOW I do not want to hear anything about where their child supposedly got anything..
mamamanda 11:53 AM 09-23-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I send home a reminder of my illness policies around the beginning of the fall/winter season and also address the "blame game" topic so parents KNOW I do not want to hear anything about where their child supposedly got anything..
This is a great idea. I always have to revisit it repeatedly with the same family each fall. Maybe a to the point note for everyone
KarenSue 12:09 PM 09-23-2015

I am having a problem with this. All three of my babies have got runny noses, bad coughs and "allergies" suddenly. Two now have diarrhea. The one mom denied it but it was clearly diarrhea. Then she acted like it wasn't an illness since there isn't a fever. I was wondering if anyone has their illness policy posted do I can give them all a copy.
Blackcat31 12:20 PM 09-23-2015
Originally Posted by Karen0801:
I am having a problem with this. All three of my babies have got runny noses, bad coughs and "allergies" suddenly. Two now have diarrhea. The one mom denied it but it was clearly diarrhea. Then she acted like it wasn't an illness since there isn't a fever. I was wondering if anyone has their illness policy posted do I can give them all a copy.
I will PM you my illness policy and the reminder letter I send out.

You are more than welcome to use either one and edit them as needed.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 12:30 PM 09-23-2015

What a fantastic idea. I'm printing a reminder tonight and letting them know that severe coughs will also now be a reason to not accept into care.
Controlled Chaos 12:34 PM 09-23-2015

Will you PM your reminder letter? I was just thinking I was going to put together a bag of mini hand santizer and little Kleenex pouch to send home with a reminder but wasn't sure how to word it.
Blackcat31 12:38 PM 09-23-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Will you PM your reminder letter? I was just thinking I was going to put together a bag of mini hand santizer and little Kleenex pouch to send home with a reminder but wasn't sure how to word it.
Here you go!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8_...ew?usp=sharing
Blackcat31 12:40 PM 09-23-2015
Originally Posted by Cozy_Kids_Childcare:
What a fantastic idea. I'm printing a reminder tonight and letting them know that severe coughs will also now be a reason to not accept into care.

I list coughing "that is severe enough to impede their normal day to day behavior/activities" or coughing that interrupts or disturbs others as an excludable symptom.
KarenSue 12:43 PM 09-23-2015

Got it. Thank you so much. This will be very helpful.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 03:13 PM 09-23-2015

I list coughing "that is severe enough to impede their normal day to day behavior/activities" or coughing that interrupts or disturbs others as an excludable symptom.
Well this mom took him to the doctor this afternoon and they put him on steroids to help his cough. She said doctor said he is past the contagious stage. I was like well I think he should stay with his grandma tomorrow to make sure.
NoMoreJuice! 03:44 PM 09-23-2015
I love that I can just blame it on the state. "I know, these silly rules...see you in a few days when your child is well." This is on my website, in my hard copy policy handbook, and I just handed it out on Monday to every family as a reminder. I don't have any problems.

http://www.kdheks.gov/bcclr/applicat..._Exclusion.pdf
Blackcat31 09:38 AM 09-24-2015
Originally Posted by Cozy_Kids_Childcare:
Well this mom took him to the doctor this afternoon and they put him on steroids to help his cough. She said doctor said he is past the contagious stage. I was like well I think he should stay with his grandma tomorrow to make sure.

It doesn't matter to me whether he is or isn't contagious.

What matters to me is the amount of work/attention/supervision I am needing to provide to one child.
If its more than normal, then they need to stay home.

Also, even if a child is beyond the original contagious period or has already exposed everyone else, it's still important to MINIMIZE the exposure so that the likelihood of others catching it.
Reply Up