Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Am I overreacting? Please help!
Unregistered 08:41 PM 09-23-2015
I am a registered daycare and have had a dcg enrolled for about 1.5 years. Her mom has always been demanding. But the dcg was also my first child enrolled so I wanted to be accommodating.

Some background:
When DCM worked closer, she used to stop in almost every day. But, now that she has changed jobs, she just texts every day. Which is fine, except that I provide a live updated child log of what we do, what she eats, her diaper changes, nap times, activities, that she never checks.

DCM is a teacher, and last December, when she was going to be on holiday break, she told me she didn't feel comfortable paying me when DCG would be out so she wasn't going to. She actually had the check in hand then walked out with it. I told her that we have a contract in place, and I collected a deposit in the beginning, so that deposit would go into effect and that would be it. She ended up paying.

I provide B, L, PM snack. They thought she had a dairy allergy so they were excluding dairy from dcg's diet. I told them they need to pack her meals (I have a contract clause saying that parents need to provide meals for special diets.) Then I fed DCG a meal. DCM texts saying that she doesn't eat pork because of religious reasons. In the 1.5 years DCG has been with me, I was never told that. I emailed DCM 5 months prior and asked what foods are okay to eat and got no response. So, I told them to pack meals again. They didn't. I told them again to pack. They didn't. I finally wrote an email asking them to respect my business and sat down with them. Only then did they pack meals.

DCM would always constantly text me telling me to do this and that. To provide this food or that food. Goldfish are only okay a couple days a week. Even sent me a video on how to apply sunscreen on a child.

DCM always asks what activities I do during the day and said she would provide a box of activities for DCG. I don't have time for that. I follow a curriculum. We do plenty during the day. I actually have a private page for parents where I post pictures of the activities we do during the day, but DCM opted out.

Now, DCM is pregnant and wants to bring new baby. In May, I said if they just pay a deposit for new baby then I would hold that spot since DCG is still attending. DCM said they didn't have enough money while on summer break so gave me a portion of the deposit, and would pay the rest once the school year started. I asked 2 weeks ago for the rest of the deposit, and nothing. Then I sent an email saying I wanted the rest by last Friday. DCD said they didn't have enough so asked for an extension until this Friday. So, I'm waiting and haven't received anything yet. I am ready to fill that spot if I don't get the deposit by Friday.

Every time I see a text or email from DCM, it makes me anxious because it's always something. Am I overreacting though? Is this normal parent behavior? Please help!
Unregistered 08:47 PM 09-23-2015
I forgot to mention:

I've had issues with diapers. I text saying DCG needs diapers, and it takes them so long. Finally I said they need to buy the big boxes and bring those in. They send in 10 individual dipaers at a time. Once, they didn't bring them for a whole week and DCM says, "You have something, right?" Luckily, I had leftover pull-ups from my kids to use.
spedmommy4 08:55 PM 09-23-2015
Definitely not normal. First, you teach parents how to treat you by what you allow. If you allow it, it will continue.

If you do not modify diets, refuse care at the door when parents don't show up with food. She needs the proper supplies for the day. I also have a private website. That website sends out calendar alerts for field trips, updates families about photos, etc. I don't give parents the option to opt out. It is the only way they get information an pictures. No exceptions. I have 15 families; I don't send individual text and picture updates.

I would not have agreed to enroll the baby. If it were me, I would return the deposit. If they don't have enough for a deposit, how are they going afford weekly tuition?
Unregistered 11:13 PM 09-23-2015
Personally, I would have termed this family a long time ago. Dcm obviously does not respect you or your business. I do not offer my services to families that cannot comply with my policies. I agree with pp about returning the deposit and not accepting the baby. I would even term the current child if that is an option just to get rid of this stress. If it's not an option, them start charging for the use of your diapers and wipes (I charge $2 per diaper change, never had to charge any one yet), refuse care if no meals are provided, and keep referring dcm to you child log/website when she texts how/what dck did today. And I would only respond once.
midaycare 05:44 AM 09-24-2015
This is not normal. What a nightmare of a family. Term. Yesterday.
mommyneedsadayoff 05:58 AM 09-24-2015
No it is not normal! You should not have to babysit the parents too, so I would terminate and not take on the new baby. Like the above poster said, if they can't afford the deposit, how will they afford to pay for two children in daycare every week? If you are still gonna keep them, then you need to get tough. I would text them today and say if you do not receive the money at drop off tomorrow morning, the spot is no longer available. And then stick to it. Personally, unless they have a doctors note stating the girl has specific allergies, I would accept no food from home and follow none of their orders on what she eats in your home. If you want them to bring her food, then she cannot be dropped off unless they have it (and diapers or whatever other supplies you need them to bring). They sound so demanding, I have a headache just reading this, so I really hope you move on and be done wit them for your own sake! Feeling anxious at each text/phone call is reason enough.
MyAngels 06:54 AM 09-24-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
This is not normal. What a nightmare of a family. Term. Yesterday.

Life is way too short to be dealing with this stress on a daily basis.
Unregistered 08:44 AM 09-24-2015
Thank you for all the replies! I was thinking the same thing about terming but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being overly sensitive about the situation. Hearing from more experienced providers helped a lot! Thanks again!
Snowmom 09:14 AM 09-24-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you for all the replies! I was thinking the same thing about terming but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being overly sensitive about the situation. Hearing from more experienced providers helped a lot! Thanks again!
You are definitely NOT being overly sensitive. She's sounds like a nightmare. No way would I want to deal with that another 5 years with a new baby.
Unregistered 09:26 AM 09-24-2015
This job is stressful enough without the added games from the mother. What I'd suggest is to first fill her slot then give her notice. And keep the notice short and sweet because she sounds the type to try and bully you into a reason and taking her back only to make you more miserable. I've been in this biz for 27 years and usually these types, this is how they roll. Stand up for yourself!
daycarediva 09:39 AM 09-24-2015
I would have termed a LONG time ago. I cannot even begin to imagine the demands and 'special' she will want for an infant. NOPE.

IF they pay you the deposit tomorrow, I would say "On second thought dcp, I have decided not to accept the new infant into care. (insert excuse- only taking one infant, no infants, keeping smaller ratio, etc). Because of this, I am giving you notice to find new care for dcg as well. X will be the last day I am able to provide care."

BIG GIANT SMILE
Ariana 10:17 AM 09-24-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I would have termed a LONG time ago. I cannot even begin to imagine the demands and 'special' she will want for an infant. NOPE.

IF they pay you the deposit tomorrow, I would say "On second thought dcp, I have decided not to accept the new infant into care. (insert excuse- only taking one infant, no infants, keeping smaller ratio, etc). Because of this, I am giving you notice to find new care for dcg as well. X will be the last day I am able to provide care."

BIG GIANT SMILE
So much this! Honestly you are being way to nice and she is walking all over you. She wants you to be her personal slave but not pay you for it. I am seriously angry for you Term immediately and find parents that are more respectable you will be so glad you did.
Reply Up