Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2 3 
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New DCM Just Shows Up Early at My Door
HL0605 06:06 PM 03-19-2016
I agree. Terminate immediately and mail her things. I would not be willing to see this lady ever again!
e.j. 06:38 PM 03-19-2016
I try to remain as professional as possible when dealing with clients but under these circumstances, I would wait until later tomorrow night to respond with a termination notice. Giving her notice tonight gives her too much time to figure out what she's going to do for child care on Monday. Maybe I'm the evil one?
MyAngels 06:43 PM 03-19-2016
She's trying to put you on the defensive by bringing up the TV, so that you'll bend to her will on the new times

I agree with EJ, wait until later tomorrow to e-mail her a term notice
NoMoreJuice! 09:17 PM 03-19-2016
Just read the entire story and...WOW.

I like your messenger idea with the girl's items + term letter all in a neat package, perhaps with a bow. After you do send it, the most important part is to never answer her phone call, text, or email ever again. This is a power balancing act, and it will be all on your side now. You'll definitely receive dozens of attempted communications, and it will really tick her off when she receives the cold shoulder. What a snotty, entitled BRAT.
Thriftylady 06:34 AM 03-20-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I would send a short email stating she is not a good fit for your child care program and terminating services effective immediately. Further state, Your belongings will be mailed to you! Then do NOT respond to anything else she sends you!
I would do this. Just cut it off and be done with her.
Tasha 09:33 AM 03-20-2016
I took everybody's advice and wrote a short note to her explaining that we were not a good fit, and that termination was effective immediately. I went ahead and used a messenger service to send the note along with her dd's things because I didn't want to wait until tomorrow to mail her stuff. I requested a signature so there will be no question that she saw the termination letter.
I cannot thank all of you enough for all of your wonderful advice and support. I literally don't know what I would do
without you. Truly.
lovemydaycare0912 12:25 PM 03-20-2016
Originally Posted by Tasha:
I took everybody's advice and wrote a short note to her explaining that we were not a good fit, and that termination was effective immediately. I went ahead and used a messenger service to send the note along with her dd's things because I didn't want to wait until tomorrow to mail her stuff. I requested a signature so there will be no question that she saw the termination letter.
I cannot thank all of you enough for all of your wonderful advice and support. I literally don't know what I would do
without you. Truly.
I am proud of you. You did the right thing. And although it may not have been the easiest, at least you stuck to your guns. Keeping her would leave you resentful everyday. You motivate me to be able to do this. I wish you the best and that you are able to replace soon!
midaycare 12:31 PM 03-20-2016
I'm just waiting for her to blow up your phone or drive to your home tonight.

You did the right thing, and . Stay strong if she responds.
Thriftylady 01:23 PM 03-20-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I'm just waiting for her to blow up your phone or drive to your home tonight.

You did the right thing, and . Stay strong if she responds.
I agree with this. Something tells me she isn't going to handle no well. I do wonder though what happens if the messenger service comes and she isn't home? I have never lived in an area that it was common to use, so I don't know much about that.
Tasha 02:01 PM 03-20-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I agree with this. Something tells me she isn't going to handle no well. I do wonder though what happens if the messenger service comes and she isn't home? I have never lived in an area that it was common to use, so I don't know much about that.
Well, the phone calls started at 12:30, and have continued every hour. She hasn't left a voicemail, which surprised me because I thought she'd yell. I am not going to answer the phone, but I don't know how much longer I can take the phone ringing and ringing. I need strength. (To answer your question, the messenger service emailed me a copy of her signature and the time of delivery, which was 12:10 pm. The service is a little pricey, so I don't use it a lot, but in cases like this I think it's worth it.)
midaycare 02:15 PM 03-20-2016
Well, the phone calls started at 12:30, and have continued every hour. She hasn't left a voicemail, which surprised me because I thought she'd yell. I am not going to answer the phone, but I don't know how much longer I can take the phone ringing and ringing. I need strength. (To answer your question, the messenger service emailed me a copy of her signature and the time of delivery, which was 12:10 pm. The service is a little pricey, so I don't use it a lot, but in cases like this I think it's worth it.)
Can you unplug or turn off your phone for peace of mind?
Thriftylady 02:25 PM 03-20-2016
This doesn't surprise me at all. She misbehaved, you called her on it, and now she is angry. According to what I read in that email, she really thought she was going to get her way!
Josiegirl 02:46 PM 03-20-2016
Tasha, you did good!
Tasha 02:46 PM 03-20-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
I am proud of you. You did the right thing. And although it may not have been the easiest, at least you stuck to your guns. Keeping her would leave you resentful everyday. You motivate me to be able to do this. I wish you the best and that you are able to replace soon!
I really want to thank you for this. It does give me great motivation to stick to my guns.
I can't turn my ringer off because I expect my daughter to call when it is time to pick her up from her trip. I don't understand why this DCM won't just leave a message instead of making one phone call after another!
Tasha 02:48 PM 03-20-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Tasha, you did good!
You are so sweet, Josie. I feel myself slipping, though.
This is very nerve-wracking.
Josiegirl 02:48 PM 03-20-2016
I really want to thank you for this. It does give me great motivation to stick to my guns.
I can't turn my ringer off because I expect my daughter to call when it is time to pick her up from her trip. I don't understand why this DCM won't just leave a message instead of making one phone call after another!
She wants the chance to change your mind. Or give you a piece of hers.
Unregistered 02:52 PM 03-20-2016
Of course she is going to call. You sort of put her in a bad position, because you were passive aggressive. I'm not taking the mom's side, but who terms on a Sunday? She can't even get replacement care until tomorrow. Her or husband will have to take an unneeded day off. I can't term parents without notice. It makes me feel unprofessional, because it is. When I used to work at the HS, I was fired without noticed. It was run by the boe and I was going to get tenure. The Monday after Christmas I got letter version of a pink slip. I usually keep my mouth shut, it really disturbs me how funny people find this and advised the OP to do it. I'm not wishing any thing on anyone, but if anyone ever gets the rug pulled out on them I hope instead of feeling bad for yourself you remember all the terms without notice and advising the OP you did.
Indoorvoice 03:00 PM 03-20-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Of course she is going to call. You sort of put her in a bad position, because you were passive aggressive. I'm not taking the mom's side, but who terms on a Sunday? She can't even get replacement care until tomorrow. Her or husband will have to take an unneeded day off. I can't term parents without notice. It makes me feel unprofessional, because it is. When I used to work at the HS, I was fired without noticed. It was run by the boe and I was going to get tenure. The Monday after Christmas I got letter version of a pink slip. I usually keep my mouth shut, it really disturbs me how funny people find this and advised the OP to do it. I'm not wishing any thing on anyone, but if anyone ever gets the rug pulled out on them I hope instead of feeling bad for yourself you remember all the terms without notice and advising the OP you did.
We'll the parent put OP in a bad spot too expecting her to work extra and basically bossing her around. Dcp did not abude by the contract. When you don't play by the rules, that kind of stuff happens. If she would have played nice OP would not have had to put her in that spot. It's easy to be judgy when it's not you it's happening to.
Thriftylady 03:10 PM 03-20-2016
The parent did this. The parent signed a contract with the hours of care written on it. The parent then breached the contract by not abiding by it. Sometimes, in order to be professional we need to step back from the situation and get the emotion out of it. Terming on any day would have upset the parent and made them feel like the rug was pulled out. But it is the parent who brought this upon herself.
Josiegirl 03:12 PM 03-20-2016
Also, it was during the 2 week trial period, I believe, during which time either party can walk away without a notice. I might be wrong but that's how my contract is written.
It's not funny but that woman seriously needed to go with the rules of the dc she signed on with, which she agreed to at the interview. She was condescending, rude, and treated OP with complete lack of respect and regard. IMO running a dc is very different than working for someone else. You can't really compare the two. Plus there are lots of places that hand a person their paycheck and say oh yeh, we don't need you anymore. It does happen.
nannyde 03:15 PM 03-20-2016
Nah

When you behave badly and do things like force someone who is off work to care for your kid then bitİh about her having the kid watch disney when.she wasn't supposed to be there in.the first place AFTER you dropped off an hour and a half early without permission, you should expect to have done EXACTLY to you what you did.

Pull the rug under someone and.they have every right to do it back.

She's a badly behaved parent. She deserves what she got. Next time she will think before she acts up. She might get termed without notice on a Sunday afternoon.

Good job op. Get ready for a complaint and inspection.
Unregistered 03:43 PM 03-20-2016
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
We'll the parent put OP in a bad spot too expecting her to work extra and basically bossing her around. Dcp did not abude by the contract. When you don't play by the rules, that kind of stuff happens. If she would have played nice OP would not have had to put her in that spot. It's easy to be judgy when it's not you it's happening to.
The last line is my whole point. Should she keep this parent? No, but why not give them a week or at least a day to find new care? I think these terms are very unprofessional and really cruel when it's not something say illegal or threatening.
hope 03:53 PM 03-20-2016
The last line is my whole point. Should she keep this parent? No, but why not give them a week or at least a day to find new care? I think these terms are very unprofessional and really cruel when it's not something say illegal or threatening.
If the OP gives this dcm a week notice she may end up watching dcg till 6 or 7pm every night this week. Dcm has not kept her word and therefore can not be trusted. Do you work after hours for free? Why should OP take the chance of working late every night just to make life easier for a dcm that broke her own contract?
Unregistered 03:59 PM 03-20-2016
Originally Posted by hope:
If the OP gives this dcm a week notice she may end up watching dcg till 6 or 7pm every night this week. Dcm has not kept her word and therefore can not be trusted. Do you work after hours for free? Why should OP take the chance of working late every night just to make life easier for a dcm that broke her own contract?
I don't know why everyone keeps saying free. I agree, the OP can work when she wants. The mom did pay the fees. It was't free.
Unregistered 04:01 PM 03-20-2016
A parent who assumes care well outside the boundaries of the contract, and then complains about the quality of that very care, and then demands meetings at specific times during personal hours, is EXACTLY why providers have to put phrases like "provider has the right to terminate at will" in their contract.

When a new parent starts badly and then escalates bad behavior rather than trying to understand the bounds of the contract, the provider must consider whether this parent may escalate further in front of children. It is best in my opinion, to discontinue the relationship immediately in order to avoid this.

And judging by the frequent calls with no messages left, this parent did continue to escalate.
Unregistered 04:05 PM 03-20-2016
I don't know why everyone keeps saying free. I agree, the OP can work when she wants. The mom did pay the fees. It was't free.
The parent should have arranged for extended care, not assumed that it was available.

Dairy Queen doesn't open early just because I am banging on the door at 6:30 a.m. no matter how much I want a Blizzard.
Tasha 04:06 PM 03-20-2016
Could you please explain your definition of passive-aggressive? I think we disagree. This client was under a two-week probation period, wherein either party can opt out of the agreement without recriminations. Neither one of us was obligated to give notice. As far as I am concerned, she is the architect of her own dismissal by being rude, dismissive and completely disrespectful to both me - and her child. Who terms on Sunday? I do, when the client comes raging into my house on a Friday afternoon 30 mins after her contracted time. Would it have been better if I had termed on Monday morning an hour before she was scheduled to arrive?
hope 04:10 PM 03-20-2016
You are right, the OP was paid for the overtime. She did not work for free. If dcm came late this monday should OP just charge late fees again and continue on with the whole week? What if dcm comes 2 or 3 hours late every night? Is it ok as long as she pays? Should OP not be able to carry on with her family and household responsibilities if dcm comes late every night as long as dcm pays the late fee? OP has said that she doesn't want the late charge. She wants to be done with her work day at the agreed upon time. It would be a really hard week for OP because dcm would know that OP will watch no matter what.
Unregistered 04:15 PM 03-20-2016
Could you please explain your definition of passive-aggressive? I think we disagree. This client was under a two-week probation period, wherein either party can opt out of the agreement without recriminations. Neither one of us was obligated to give notice. As far as I am concerned, she is the architect of her own dismissal by being rude, dismissive and completely disrespectful to both me - and her child. Who terms on Sunday? I do, when the client comes raging into my house on a Friday afternoon 30 mins after her contracted time. Would it have been better if I had termed on Monday morning an hour before she was scheduled to arrive?
See, this is what I'm talking about. Yourself said she contacted you on Friday and you're replying to me that your other option is to term on Monday? This got out of hand, because you let it. Now, you term with no notice and wonder why she's blowing up your phone. I would further explain, but it's not case not of not getting (for any of you). It's a case of wanting to be spiteful. I'm no way taking the mom's side, but two wrongs don't make a right. Sometimes, I like to post on here, because my friends and family don't get it, but yesh. You guys can be a group of mean girls. Just as I'm not surprised by NannyDe's Regina like reply. Cursing including. Like I said, when the shoe is on the other foot see how it feels. I don't think you guys understand compassion.
Tasha 04:17 PM 03-20-2016
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Nah

When you behave badly and do things like force someone who is off work to care for your kid then bitİh about her having the kid watch disney when.she wasn't supposed to be there in.the first place AFTER you dropped off an hour and a half early without permission, you should expect to have done EXACTLY to you what you did.

Pull the rug under someone and.they have every right to do it back.

She's a badly behaved parent. She deserves what she got. Next time she will think before she acts up. She might get termed without notice on a Sunday afternoon.

Good job op. Get ready for a complaint and inspection.
Thanks everybody for defending me. It really raises my hackles to be called unprofessional. What do you think her complaint will be? The television?
HL0605 04:17 PM 03-20-2016
How was she passive aggressive? She let dcm know that it was unacceptable for her to show up 1.5 hours early and to pick up late. Dcm did it anyway. OP has been shown that she can not trust dcm to abide by her operating hours, and may have plans in the evening that do not allow her to be at this lady's mercy to decide when she wants to pick up her kid. Dcm was unforgivably rude, and considering this was a trial period with no requirement of notice, OP is completely within her rights to term immediately.
MunchkinWrangler 04:18 PM 03-20-2016
Passive aggressive would be to call CPS because you didn't come to get your kid on time. Tasha merely took time to find the best way to terminate without getting into a knock down drag down fight with the parent. Like she said she was very angry anf even had to tell DCM to leave because her voice was getting shrill. Why let it escalate and I'm sure DCM would have left her kid there way past the time just to prove a point, what would be the point of a tug of war. At my closing time, I have my family and school. I can't work overtime even if paid, it could be detrimental to my personal life.
Tasha 04:22 PM 03-20-2016
See, this is what I'm talking about. Yourself said she contacted you on Friday and you're replying to me that your other option is to term on Monday? This got out of hand, because you let it. Now, you term with no notice and wonder why she's blowing up your phone. I would further explain, but it's not case not of not getting (for any of you). It's a case of wanting to be spiteful. I'm no way taking the mom's side, but two wrongs don't make a right. Sometimes, I like to post on here, because my friends and family don't get it, but yesh. You guys can be a group of mean girls. Just as I'm not surprised by NannyDe's Regina like reply. Cursing including. Like I said, when the shoe is on the other foot see how it feels. I don't think you guys understand compassion.
So a client comes in angry and late on Friday, telling me that she is going to change her hours. I am here by myself with only her child in the house, and while she is already agitated I am going to give her notice? No, thank you. There was no spite. She is clueless, as evidenced by her email yesterday chastising me for letting her child watch TV, and not even acknowledging the fact that she was so late. It is not a matter of compassion. It is a business arrangement, and I followed the contract. And I will sleep well tonight.
Hopefully, she'll treat her next provider with more respect.
We live in a huge city, and I have no doubt she'll have no problem finding (and eventually alienating) another provider.
hope 04:29 PM 03-20-2016
I think the OP also needed time to think about what had happened on friday in order to make a decision. Had she termed friday she may have done so due to emotions being high. I think she had every right to sit on it for a day to make sure it was the best decision.
Side note, an unregistered poster calling someone else passive aggressive makes me giggle.
Thriftylady 04:30 PM 03-20-2016
Thanks everybody for defending me. It really raises my hackles to be called unprofessional. What do you think her complaint will be? The television?
She will complain about anything she thinks will cause you trouble even it if is all lies. Sadly she is that type of parent. Call your licensing agent first thing in the morning, tell them what happened, and to expect the call. Depending on the complaint they may still have to come out. But you sound like the type to keep your paperwork and such in line, so other than the hassle, no big deal.

ETA: Don't worry about unregistered, it is easy to spew a bunch of junk when you won't even register to own what you say. Obviously, this person is not a provider. Heck maybe it is even the mom you termed, or one just like her for all we know.
daycare 04:32 PM 03-20-2016
I think from a parents perspective this is hard to grasp. Of course, us providers get it and fully agree with OP.

I guess unless you have walked a day in our life, it's hard to understand what we put up with and what we go through on a daily basis.

Tasha, you did what was best for you and your family, just like the DCM did what was best for hers.

I would continue to handle this along the lines of keeping saying we were not a good fit for each other and let everything else go. It was in the best interest of both parties.
Ariana 04:33 PM 03-20-2016
Here are all the ways in which she not only broke contract but treated you with disrespect:
-showed up early without notice
-picked up late, twice, without notice

Once a contract has been broken my professionalism is no longer at play. I remain professional in my demeanor but once a contract has been broken by the parent I no longer have to be "reasonable" or "fair". She was within her two week trial period so termination came immediately. That is the end of it.

Stop playing with the troll, they clearly have zero idea what the meaning of passive aggressive is. This isn't high school, it's business. If a guy starts a fight in a bar and gets thrown out should the bar wonder how he is going to get home that night? NOPE. It's called real world consequences.
Unregistered 04:36 PM 03-20-2016
Sometimes compassion comes in the form of tough love!
Unregistered 04:46 PM 03-20-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
She will complain about anything she thinks will cause you trouble even it if is all lies. Sadly she is that type of parent. Call your licensing agent first thing in the morning, tell them what happened, and to expect the call. Depending on the complaint they may still have to come out. But you sound like the type to keep your paperwork and such in line, so other than the hassle, no big deal.

ETA: Don't worry about unregistered, it is easy to spew a bunch of junk when you won't even register to own what you say. Obviously, this person is not a provider. Heck maybe it is even the mom you termed, or one just like her for all we know.
The mom can legitimately complain about violating confidentiality. Unless Tasha is lying about that being the email being her email.
daycare 04:49 PM 03-20-2016
The mom can legitimately complain about violating confidentiality. Unless Tasha is lying about that being the email being her email.
how, she didn't mention any one's name.
Thriftylady 04:53 PM 03-20-2016
No names were mentioned. No complaint there. IF Tasha had put identifying info there, then yes but she didn't! It's all good!
daycare 04:58 PM 03-20-2016
sorry...bugs me when people come on here and just try to sir the POT....
lovemykidstoo 04:59 PM 03-20-2016

That's funny.

Good job Tasha!! You don't deserve to be treated like that by any parent! Is she still calling?
Annalee 05:00 PM 03-20-2016
Some parents cannot handle a two week notice...it is not worth the begging/pleading. In this case, Tasha did exactly what she should have! Way to go Tasha!
Tasha 05:16 PM 03-20-2016
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
That's funny.

Good job Tasha!! You don't deserve to be treated like that by any parent! Is she still calling?
Yes, she's still calling.
HL0605 05:20 PM 03-20-2016
Are you afraid she might show up tomorrow? She seems a little crazy.
Ariana 05:22 PM 03-20-2016
Her disrespect knows no bounds! Can you block her number?
hope 05:26 PM 03-20-2016
I think you need to prepare yourself for a plan in case she shows up tomorrow to talk.
Unregistered 05:32 PM 03-20-2016
Text her that your business relationship is ended and that you expect no further contact now, or you will need to take further action. Then blick her number.

Give your licensing agency a brief run-down of the situation tomorrow.

Keep yiur doors locked except for clients and call 911 if she shows up at your door.
Unregistered 05:33 PM 03-20-2016
*block her number
lovemykidstoo 05:56 PM 03-20-2016
I'm sure you knew but I was laughing at the post that you could be held liable for violating confidentiality. That cracked me up.

I think I would probably pick up the phone and say WHAT DO YOU WANT???????????????? UGH She sounds crackers.
Tasha 05:58 PM 03-20-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Her disrespect knows no bounds! Can you block her number?
I guess I will block her number. I keep hoping she'll leave a message so that I can at least get the tenor of her thinking.
I seriously hope she doesn't show up here tomorrow. That would not be good while I have a houseful of children. I'm really hoping she'll calm down by tomorrow and move forward rather than attempt to make this situation work.
Unregistered 06:16 PM 03-20-2016
Think of what to say:
To her, through the locked door. Say it ONCE only.
To 911, if she does not leave.

It's easier to do it if you are prepared. Write it down to refer to and to practice.
SnowGirl 06:27 PM 03-20-2016
Lurker here

I just want to wish you good luck tomorrow. I really hope she doesn't show up and try to put you on the spot - again.

My very first DCF did this to me...they showed up two times an hour and a half late. Both times, they came together, and they immediately bombarded me with a lecture as soon as they came in the door about some minor complaint they had. I wasn't experienced enough nor did I have the backbone to cut them off, but I wish I had. Both times I never had an opportunity to talk to them about the inappropriateness of picking up so late and disrespecting my time, let alone choosing to discuss their complaints with me outside of business hours and without an appointment. I think that in both cases they were trying to deflect what they knew was their mistake and turn it around on me. I spent both of those evenings crying in my bed, it made me feel so used and weak.

I just mean to say that, while I understand the sentiment that you don't want to just put a DCF in a hard place by terming immediately, there are certain lines people can cross that makes ANY further business dealings incomprehensible. I think OP's (former) DCM crossed that line on Friday, and then really pushed it into deep field with her email on Saturday.

You did the right thing. You did what I wish I would have done.
Unregistered 06:43 PM 03-20-2016
In football they say "the best defense is a good offense" and that is what people like this are doing. They come in attacking YOU to put you on the defense, and to give you NO chance to present your own case. It is a game play, a strategy. Don't let them succeed at this because your business is not a football.

Originally Posted by SnowGirl:
Lurker here

I just want to wish you good luck tomorrow. I really hope she doesn't show up and try to put you on the spot - again.

My very first DCF did this to me...they showed up two times an hour and a half late. Both times, they came together, and they immediately bombarded me with a lecture as soon as they came in the door about some minor complaint they had. I wasn't experienced enough nor did I have the backbone to cut them off, but I wish I had. Both times I never had an opportunity to talk to them about the inappropriateness of picking up so late and disrespecting my time, let alone choosing to discuss their complaints with me outside of business hours and without an appointment. I think that in both cases they were trying to deflect what they knew was their mistake and turn it around on me. I spent both of those evenings crying in my bed, it made me feel so used and weak.

I just mean to say that, while I understand the sentiment that you don't want to just put a DCF in a hard place by terming immediately, there are certain lines people can cross that makes ANY further business dealings incomprehensible. I think OP's (former) DCM crossed that line on Friday, and then really pushed it into deep field with her email on Saturday.

Thriftylady 06:49 PM 03-20-2016
Originally Posted by SnowGirl:
Lurker here

I agree with this. Sometimes people just won't allow you to work with them. The very last time my Ex husband beat me, when I escaped the next morning with my children, I swore to myself nobody will ever disrespect me in my own home again. It is in my handbook as a reason for immediate termination.
midaycare 06:56 PM 03-20-2016
I think the OP also needed time to think about what had happened on friday in order to make a decision. Had she termed friday she may have done so due to emotions being high. I think she had every right to sit on it for a day to make sure it was the best decision.
Side note, an unregistered poster calling someone else passive aggressive makes me giggle.
It is important to take time to think things over.
NightOwl 06:58 PM 03-20-2016
I agree, agree, agree, and did I mention that I AGREE?
Laurel 07:00 PM 03-20-2016
Text her that your business relationship is ended and that you expect no further contact now, or you will need to take further action. Then blick her number.

Give your licensing agency a brief run-down of the situation tomorrow.

Keep yiur doors locked except for clients and call 911 if she shows up at your door.

If she comes to your door, I would say (through the locked door). "Leave my property now or I will call 911." At most, repeat it one more time then just call. To get them there fast, I'd say "I do home childcare and there is someone at my door who won't leave. I am concerned for me and the children." They will be there in a flash once you mention there are children there in your care.
CityGarden 07:01 PM 03-20-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Tasha is like a pair of size 6 shoes and the mom needs a size 8. NOTHING wrong with a size 6 or a size 8 they just arent interchangeable.

The mom comes across as disrespectful (and she is) but from everything Tasha has posted it seems its not a personal action... Just how this mom is I guess.

I wouldn't give 3 seconds of my time trying to change her (shrinks get paid the big bucks and take years to successfully change people ).... I would just let her go.

Tasha's program isn't the right fit.
I was thinking the same thing as above, she is just not a right fit for your program. I am sure in the right set up she would be a fine client but she is not the client for you.
lovemydaycare0912 07:03 PM 03-20-2016
Enough. This is a provider's place of peace. Where we come to vent, talk, seek advice, etc. We should not be judged for our thoughts, actions, etc. You did nothing wrong Tasha. AT ALL! Do not let anyone on here try to make you think otherwise. I agree with the others. If she comes, don't open. Just call 911. I will pray tonight for your peace and safety, and update us and let us know you made it through the day okay.
NightOwl 07:07 PM 03-20-2016
A plan for morning is essential. Can you keep your door closed/locked in between drop offs?

I'm not sure what was in your note to her, but it might not hurt to send an email reiterating that your business relationship has ended, therefore her phone calls will not be answered and her child is no longer enrolled. That may put the nail in the coffin on the possibility of her trying to show up tomorrow.
NightOwl 07:09 PM 03-20-2016
And update us early! You know we'll all be waiting.
Unregistered 07:13 PM 03-20-2016
I've been lurking this whole thread and I must admit a few comments were funny. Wow. Are you guys serious? What do you think this woman is going to do? Comparing her to a abusive husband and threatening legal actions? This is ridiculous. I hope the mom doesn't show up and the OP is glued to the blinds all day and every little noise makes them jump. This is really just bizarre.
SnowGirl 07:20 PM 03-20-2016
I've been lurking this whole thread and I must admit a few comments were funny. Wow. Are you guys serious? What do you think this woman is going to do? Comparing her to a abusive husband and threatening legal actions? This is ridiculous. I hope the mom doesn't show up and the OP is glued to the blinds all day and every little noise makes them jump. This is really just bizarre.
Sadly, I think there are good reasons so many daycare providers worry about this type of behavior from some people. It comes from experience, not paranoia.

The same reason companies have to have contingency plans for disgruntled employees. Childcare relationships gone sour can get dangerous. Sad, but true. And we have several small children to protect when we worry about disgruntled parents. To mock that worry is in really poor taste.
Heidi 07:28 PM 03-20-2016
So...you understand Murphy's Law, right? The thing that you're most prepared for is the thing LEAST likely to happen. So, Tasha, PREPARE!

Unfortunately, being alone at home with a bunch of little kids and making anyone mad can be a problem. Truth is, she'll probably just call licensing and make up crap. But, I don't think it would hurt to be prepared for a scene.
Denali 07:31 PM 03-20-2016
Do not wait until she shows up Monday, because you know she will, to address this. Email her a copy of the termination letter and state that any further contact is unnecessary and any more attempts on her part to contact you will be considered harassment and you will take legal action if necessary.

Any normal person would have realized after the third phone call that was not returned that it was pointless to continue calling and stopped. Any phone calls after three shows her level of craziness and you do not want that at your doorstep.
Unregistered 07:36 PM 03-20-2016
Originally Posted by Heidi:
So...you understand Murphy's Law, right? The thing that you're most prepared for is the thing LEAST likely to happen. So, Tasha, PREPARE!

Unfortunately, being alone at home with a bunch of little kids and making anyone mad can be a problem. Truth is, she'll probably just call licensing and make up crap. But, I don't think it would hurt to be prepared for a scene.
That's the whole thing. A scene. Just lock the door, call the cops, and crank up music so the kids won't hear. I mean you guys are acting like the OP needs a bullet proof vest. If this lady is really a professional at a corporate job, she has passed a background check and I'm guessing she's not going to like go around throwing rocks at your windows or something worse. I'm pretty sure dcm isn't going to lose her job over this. I.e. do something to get arrested.
Tasha 07:43 PM 03-20-2016
You hope I am glued to the blinds all day and every little noise makes me and the children jump? You wish that on me? I think that is really bizarre. I don't think there is anything wrong with being prepared on the off-chance she does show up. Something is wrong with a person who calls incessantly, more than 8 times (that I know of) with no one answering. I don't think she's a bad person, and it's not my intention to vilify her. I just think she is used to calling all the shots, and she is not used to not getting her own way. And given her loud and obnoxious behavior on Friday, I do think everybody is giving me good advice about how to deal with her. And I really appreciate it.
Heidi 07:47 PM 03-20-2016
You hope I am glued to the blinds all day and every little noise makes me and the children jump? You wish that on me? I think that is really bizarre. I don't think there is anything wrong with being prepared on the off-chance she does show up. Something is wrong with a person who calls incessantly, more than 8 times (that I know of) with no one answering. I don't think she's a bad person, and it's not my intention to vilify her. I just think she is used to calling all the shots, and she is not used to not getting her own way. And given her loud and obnoxious behavior on Friday, I do think everybody is giving me good advice about how to deal with her. And I really appreciate it.

She's having a temper tantrum. Hopefully, it's played itself out.
Unregistered 07:50 PM 03-20-2016
I'm sure you "appreciate" it. You went from victim to star of this story. I'm really wondering how true half of this. I'm betting we'll get an update tomorrow about how she came, pounded on the door, threatened your life, and the police hauled her to the looney bin. Just came with a straight jacket. Maybe you can right for soap operas. No really, the last time I saw a storyline this crazy was in a Tyler Perry movie and he's getting Oprah money now.
Heidi 07:53 PM 03-20-2016
I'm sure you "appreciate" it. You went from victim to star of this story. I'm really wondering how true half of this. I'm betting we'll get an update tomorrow about how she came, pounded on the door, threatened your life, and the police hauled her to the looney bin. Just came with a straight jacket. Maybe you can right for soap operas. No really, the last time I saw a storyline this crazy was in a Tyler Perry movie and he's getting Oprah money now.
Big Meanie!
MunchkinWrangler 07:53 PM 03-20-2016
That's the whole thing. A scene. Just lock the door, call the cops, and crank up music so the kids won't hear. I mean you guys are acting like the OP needs a bullet proof vest. If this lady is really a professional at a corporate job, she has passed a background check and I'm guessing she's not going to like go around throwing rocks at your windows or something worse. I'm pretty sure dcm isn't going to lose her job over this. I.e. do something to get arrested.
The point is that we, as daycare providers, need to protect the children from any and all adult situations. Period. It would not be appropriate for this mom to show up in the first place but sadly, it happens. A child should never have to witness this or be in that type of environment. Because of the DCM's actions, it is actually our job to prepare for any type of situation that would lead to someone showing up to cause a scene in which case we are told to call 911 because it is trespassing and our duty to prevent a possible arrogant action of a disgruntled former client. Which has happened, sadly. Passing a background check donesn't provide a basis for unruly behavior which would be expected with the fact that this mom has already harassed OP with incessant phone calls throughout the day. Tasha I would document this and let licensing know everything that has transpired since your formal termination.
MunchkinWrangler 08:01 PM 03-20-2016
Shame on you! This is a safe place for her to ask for advice and get some support. I don't know who you are but frankly, you have no idea what you are talking about. And if you were a concerned parent we would take that just as serious. You are terribly rude.
midaycare 08:02 PM 03-20-2016
I think dcm found you online and it's time to move this to off topic.
MunchkinWrangler 08:13 PM 03-20-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I think dcm found you online and it's time to move this to off topic.
I was thinking the same thing!
MissAnn 08:18 PM 03-20-2016
Can someone block unregistered? I'm getting a headache.
daycare 09:05 PM 03-20-2016
Unregistered is in the Netherlands, at least this is where the IP address is coming from. I'm not sure how to block them but BC is the pro at that. Don't feed the trolls.

Sorry Tasha. Keep your chin up. Get a good night of rest.
Josiegirl 02:23 AM 03-21-2016
People crack. Hence, wronged employees shooting the boss that fired them. It happens. Maybe you ought to watch the news sometime? Even my small town of 6K had a former resident(member of house of representatives for our state no less)hire someone to set fire to a building of his(for insurance and not the first time either!), then had a guy killed to shut the whole matter up. You never know what someone is capable of. I don't give a hoot what a background check says, it doesn't say it all. What a naive statement. Maybe nothing will ever come of this and I'm 99.9% sure nobody is saying anything to scare Tasha intentionally but to make sure she's prepared. DCM brought this all upon herself. Not another person to blame but herself.
LysesKids 03:58 AM 03-21-2016
I have had it happen... in fact my last termination was because I was threatened by the child's father (and yes it included threats of doing whatever it took to shut me down and get me kicked out of my home - inc calling CPS, the state & attorneys because I refused to refund a non refundable payment); He didn't sign the contract but mom did (they're not married); I have had to call 911 twice in 16 years, both times for being threatened by a man. I was an abused spouse too back in the mid 80's, so I get wanting to feel safe in your home - the safety of the babies is also a concern.
lovemykidstoo 04:28 AM 03-21-2016

She's like 1/2 the kids today, she doesn't know what to do when someone tells her NO! You are 100% in the right and don't let some person hiding behind "unregistered" tell you different.
lovemykidstoo 04:30 AM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Can someone block unregistered? I'm getting a headache.
Same!
lovemykidstoo 04:31 AM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
Unregistered is in the Netherlands, at least this is where the IP address is coming from. I'm not sure how to block them but BC is the pro at that. Don't feed the trolls.

Sorry Tasha. Keep your chin up. Get a good night of rest.
Exactly Ignore ignore ignore
NightOwl 04:37 AM 03-21-2016
#1 GRAMMAR
#2 If you have no idea what you're talking about, it's best to not comment because practically everyone here has had some negative experience that makes us cautious. Is there a such thing as being too cautious when you have a house full of littles? NO.
Unregistered 05:50 AM 03-21-2016
Um, there has been more than one unregistered on this thread and my posts were not negative.
I termed one person in the past five years, a minister, and she wanted to have a shouting match in front of the kids.
Blackcat31 06:20 AM 03-21-2016
Um, there has been more than one unregistered on this thread and my posts were not negative.
I termed one person in the past five years, a minister, and she wanted to have a shouting match in front of the kids.
Yes, this is correct.

There have actually been 3 different unregistered poster's in this thread.

The first one disappearing shortly after the second one appeared.

#1 did return to make one additional comment but has since not posted other than her/his first few posts.

#2 has been the most vocal but is NOT the one that has riled the most feathers.

That would be #3 who has made the LEAST amount of posts but appears to have gotten under everyone's skin rather quickly.

One of the unregistered posters is a regular poster. Of the other two, I've "seen" one around now and then but not so much I'd call them a regular and the other unregistered is UNKNOWN.
momofboys 06:31 AM 03-21-2016
Any updates, Tasha?
NightOwl 07:47 AM 03-21-2016
Taaaaasha....
lovemykidstoo 08:01 AM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by NightOwl:
Taaaaasha....
I just noticed you're from alabama? Where are you there? We're going to Gulf Shores next week for spring break!
NightOwl 08:04 AM 03-21-2016
I'm very, very North in a little town called Ardmore just outside of Huntsville. Only about 5 miles from the Tennessee state line. The Gulf is beautiful!

Try to hit the Gulf State Park Pier and also get dinner one night at Lulu's. The owner is Jimmy Buffet's sister. It's an open air restaurant right on a lagoon. Great food too.
lovemykidstoo 08:21 AM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by NightOwl:
I'm very, very North in a little town called Ardmore just outside of Huntsville. Only about 5 miles from the Tennessee state line. The Gulf is beautiful!

Try to hit the Gulf State Park Pier and also get dinner one night at Lulu's. The owner is Jimmy Buffet's sister. It's an open air restaurant right on a lagoon. Great food too.
I just did a thread in Off Topics about our trip.
MotherNature 08:38 AM 03-21-2016
I've had this parent too..showed up late, got pissed if I had the TV on. Literally called me to say, ' Husband & I talked, and he was upset that L was watching TV when we picked up.' I was so flustered I didn't know whatto say. I ended up keeping them bc I needed the cash until she went on maternity leave. They were clueless. BTW, I did mention the TV was on rarely...rarely...meaning it happens. This was the SECOND time in a year it was on, and I had even texted dcm & told them I had a mastitis infection, was sick, had vertigo, and the afternoon was going to be me on the couch, and kids watching cartoons. She said ok, I understand..at the time.. Also, I was so sick my husband stayed home to help w/ the kids. I love how she blamed her husband too. She was a neurotic mess.
N/A 08:57 AM 03-21-2016
No it's NOT "Cruel" What's cruel is someone expecting this woman to work extra hours without notice, and whining about the pay. This woman was in her 2 week trial period, which does not require a notice from EITHER party. I would NEVER give someone who was blatantly disrespecting me, my family, and our time a WEEK notice. Perhaps, if they were not behaving so badly, they would not have to pay the consequences of their actions. The problem with society these days is people feel entitled to EVERYTHING. You feel this woman was "entitled" to a week notice. No, she is NOT entitled to anything. Not a single thing as SHE breached contract and SHE disrespected Tasha. The 'right' thing to do is to treat the person taking care of your most treasured gift of all (your KID) with the utmost of respect. She did not do this. She did not even give notice when she was going to be late. She didn't even confirm receipt of text of OP to be sure dropping early is ok. She didn't do anything because SHE THOUGHT SHE HAD EVERY RIGHT to do as SHE pleased without any regard for ANYONE else.

So you, my dear, are INCORRECT. It was neither unprofessional or 'cruel' for this mother to receive her termination on Sunday afternoon.

Maybe she'll treat the next provider correctly.

I hate when people feel they are entitled to things in which they are not.

Signed,
A DCM who pays on time, picks up on time, if I HAVE to run late (like an accident on HWY), I text and pay for that time, drops off on time, doesn't complain about holiday pay or vacation days or illness time, etc. I had my kids, NOT someone else, so guess what? I also have a backup and don't shirk my responsibilities as a parent.
WAHMderful_Life 08:58 AM 03-21-2016
Omg what a nightmare. A Parent acting like a spoiled child. I bet her child was better behaved then her.

Daring to show up that early is just beyond rude. Then daring to come at pick up and tell me that they have decided to change there hrs to 6 Bahahaha, I may have actually laughed in their face. Then If I had gotten an email like that omg would my blood have boiled. I would have termed them just as fast and would have stated that there are lots of other people who need childcare and that would appreciate a spot. As for the phone calls I would have picked up the phone and just hung it up or hit ignore. if she kept calling a million times I would block her but I only have a cell so thats easy to do.

Makes me think that a meme needs to be made about this. Jane disrespect her daycare provider. Jane no longer has childcare. Don't be like jane.
Unregistered 09:23 AM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by Heidi:

Really?

And just know, sometimes, parents turn into nutzos.

When I was a licensed provider, after I refused care (parents owed me money) the dad came on my property and threatened to harm me and my family. This stuff is real. I had to call police. After I got the dad off property, I called licensing. No surprise, they called licensing and made up a bunch of stuff and of course, I was investigated, and it was all unfounded (duh, I hadn't done anything)

appx 4 months later, another provider in another city called me gravely concerned for the youngest girl, who she now had in her care...

turns out dad was a child molester/abuser.

Lots of things happened, apparently, in those 4 months, and that provider, too, was threatened to be harmed all because she called an ambulance when the girl was hemmorrhaging after what was believed to be an incident of abuse. She contacted me as she wanted to know if I witnessed any abuse. It hadn't occurred to me at the time, but there were lots of weeks where they simply didn't show up with their kids. At the time, I thought nothing of it, but thinking back on it after that call, I began to wonder if all that missed time was due to some abuse happening. (mind you, this all happened BEFORE I got extremely strict on my contracts and had a backbone)

Yeah, people are CRAZY, so for the one who questions why providers get nervous,

Wish you would have been there and witnessed what happened to me. Then you'd shut your mouth.
lovemydaycare0912 09:25 AM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by N/A:
No it's NOT "Cruel" What's cruel is someone expecting this woman to work extra hours without notice, and whining about the pay. This woman was in her 2 week trial period, which does not require a notice from EITHER party. I would NEVER give someone who was blatantly disrespecting me, my family, and our time a WEEK notice. Perhaps, if they were not behaving so badly, they would not have to pay the consequences of their actions. The problem with society these days is people feel entitled to EVERYTHING. You feel this woman was "entitled" to a week notice. No, she is NOT entitled to anything. Not a single thing as SHE breached contract and SHE disrespected Tasha. The 'right' thing to do is to treat the person taking care of your most treasured gift of all (your KID) with the utmost of respect. She did not do this. She did not even give notice when she was going to be late. She didn't even confirm receipt of text of OP to be sure dropping early is ok. She didn't do anything because SHE THOUGHT SHE HAD EVERY RIGHT to do as SHE pleased without any regard for ANYONE else.

So you, my dear, are INCORRECT. It was neither unprofessional or 'cruel' for this mother to receive her termination on Sunday afternoon.

Maybe she'll treat the next provider correctly.

I hate when people feel they are entitled to things in which they are not.

Signed,
A DCM who pays on time, picks up on time, if I HAVE to run late (like an accident on HWY), I text and pay for that time, drops off on time, doesn't complain about holiday pay or vacation days or illness time, etc. I had my kids, NOT someone else, so guess what? I also have a backup and don't shirk my responsibilities as a parent.
Can you move to my state and be my daycare parent?!
lovemydaycare0912 09:27 AM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by WAHMderful_Life:
Omg what a nightmare. A Parent acting like a spoiled child. I bet her child was better behaved then her.

Daring to show up that early is just beyond rude. Then daring to come at pick up and tell me that they have decided to change there hrs to 6 Bahahaha, I may have actually laughed in their face. Then If I had gotten an email like that omg would my blood have boiled. I would have termed them just as fast and would have stated that there are lots of other people who need childcare and that would appreciate a spot. As for the phone calls I would have picked up the phone and just hung it up or hit ignore. if she kept calling a million times I would block her but I only have a cell so thats easy to do.

Makes me think that a meme needs to be made about this. Jane disrespect her daycare provider. Jane no longer has childcare. Don't be like jane.
Don't be like Jane. ahhahahahhahhahahahahahaha
Unregistered 09:35 AM 03-21-2016
Edit her profile in your phone and hange her ringtone to something quiet
N/A 09:44 AM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
Can you move to my state and be my daycare parent?!
Only if you live in the country! LOL
SnowGirl 09:52 AM 03-21-2016
Edit her profile in your phone and hange her ringtone to something quiet
Or change her ringtone into something you love to dance to and makes you happy!
Tags:early arrival, late fee, parents - ask too much, passive aggressive
1 2 3 
Closed Thread Up