Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Resign As A Nanny
Unregistered 07:32 AM 12-10-2011
I am posting this annonymously (sp?) although I am a regular poster. I previously did DC in my home for @ 3 yrs before being "lured" into looking into nanny jobs. I have found that the grass is not always greener on the other side (commute time, gas $$$ adds up - I have school-age kids who have to get up earlier than I like b/c of my job). I have had my current nanny job since mid-summer & thought it was going well as the parents always tell me how happy they are via e-mail/notes, etc - even wrote out the other day how blessed they were to have me. I point-blank asked the mom if everything was okay the other day (getting vibes that things are not okay)- were they unhappy with anything & she said all was great & that I am doing a wonderful job. I had not considered quitting though - parents & kids are mostly good & pay on time (although they have a tendency to "forget" to write the check until I remind them) & I never complain to the parents about commute time or anything in my life - I am a very upbeat person. Then I stumbled upon a new feature on Care.com - one that allows you to search out parents who are looking for providers (but not posting an ad for care) & I was sort of shocked to see that the parents I care for are looking for a new nanny. My guess is they are being super-sweet to me & don't want to give "notice" until Christmas break (nice, right?! I would have been totally blindsided had I not discovered it via Care.com). I feel uncomfortable being in their home knowing they are looking for someone else (although they don't know I know!). WWYD? I have decided I will not return in January & I am guessing I will be let go at the holiday break (December 21st -January 5th). If they don't "fire" me is it okay to use the long break to resign - I am guessing they are going to can me anyway. It's over a 2 week period. WWYD? Or should I just resign & tell them on Monday I won't be back after Christmas in which case I risk them telling me to leave immediately & then not get paid for my last week & a half.
laundrymom 04:33 PM 12-10-2011
I would decide what MY move was going to be. Either finding a new nanny position, going back to home care or something different entirely.

Then I would cover my own arse. I'm sorry but WE must look out for ourselves. You decide what you want tO do and go about doing it. I wouldn't wait.
Unregistered 06:12 PM 12-10-2011
Thanks laundrymom! I am definitely covering my A^^! I already contacted a past client & she is very excited about bringing her kids back to me in my home- so it's a start!
laundrymom 11:43 AM 12-11-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thanks laundrymom! I am definitely covering my A^^! I already contacted a past client & she is very excited about bringing her kids back to me in my home- so it's a start!
Awesome!!! Do you have a start date? If so.... You have your resignation date:-)
Abigail 10:30 PM 12-11-2011
So really you are happy with your current nanny job and enjoy the pay and like the kids and parents. The only complaint I took in was that you have to get up early. I would honestly ask if they were looking for a new nanny. I've been on care.com and I've searched, but many many many of the people on their--even in the search you did--have not been online in MONTHS but it shows up top of the list.

If you're considering opening a daycare again and made phone calls to previous clients you're obviously not happy being a nanny. Be honest with yourself first on whether you love your job or not and secondly just tell this family that you saw they were looking for a nanny or caregiver and let them fill in the blanks. Chances are it is from when you got hired elsewhere and they forgot they had a profile on the site. Since they don't have a setup profile, just the general picture of looking for care it could be meant for babysitters. If they are looking for a new nanny put the pressure on them and ask when they were going to tell you. LOL. Leave on good terms and if that is the case then start advertising and have a set re-opening date to get a family or two in the door.
Unregistered 04:39 AM 12-12-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
So really you are happy with your current nanny job and enjoy the pay and like the kids and parents. The only complaint I took in was that you have to get up early. I would honestly ask if they were looking for a new nanny. I've been on care.com and I've searched, but many many many of the people on their--even in the search you did--have not been online in MONTHS but it shows up top of the list.

If you're considering opening a daycare again and made phone calls to previous clients you're obviously not happy being a nanny. Be honest with yourself first on whether you love your job or not and secondly just tell this family that you saw they were looking for a nanny or caregiver and let them fill in the blanks. Chances are it is from when you got hired elsewhere and they forgot they had a profile on the site. Since they don't have a setup profile, just the general picture of looking for care it could be meant for babysitters. If they are looking for a new nanny put the pressure on them and ask when they were going to tell you. LOL. Leave on good terms and if that is the case then start advertising and have a set re-opening date to get a family or two in the door.
It affects my family too - I have school-age children that I must get out the door prior to my job - they go to a friend's home to get on the bus and as a result they must get up at 6:10 - if I was at home they would not need to get up until closer to 7:30 . I will be honest & say I think it is harder on them than it is on me. I am not sure if you are on Care.com much but they have newer features that literally tell you when a parent last logged in & without me even signing on to Care I could look & see who in a certain zip code had recently logged on & my "parent" had logged in every single day for a one-week period so I doubt it was from months ago. Technology these days is amazing! I do like the family & the job but I think I overlooked how much I would miss being in my own home. I don't go to work until Tues this week so I will probably say something when I talk to the mom - we usually talk via phone at lunch time.
kidkair 12:44 PM 12-12-2011
If you are truly unhappy and want to go back to daycare, I would just let the Care.com thing slide without mention. It sounds like you've been wanting to leave and this is just the push you needed. Let the mom know you think daycare in your home was a better fit and are moving back to it on such and such date. Invite her to sign up for your daycare if you can and if she says no than wish her luck in finding another nanny. Be careful and use discretion as you want to maintain control over the situation.
Tags:nanny
Reply Up