Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Laws For Cleaning And Napping
Clreyes 12:10 PM 09-05-2011
Does anyone know what or where I can find laws pertaining to cleaning toys on a regular basis for a preschool. I also was just told that if my child doesn't nap anymore that by law children have to rest in a quiet area for 45 minutes?? Does anyone know if this is true and if so where I can find something in writing on it please. Thanks and this is a great site to have come across!!
Cat Herder 01:38 PM 09-05-2011
Each State is a bit different so the only way to get a 100% correct answer is to list your State along with a few other details.

Centers, Home Group Care and Family Home Childcare have differing rules and regs so we would have to know if this is Family Home Childcare, Group Childcare or Center Based Childcare.

Also, it depends on if your provider is licensed/registered with your State as to what rules and regs, if any, she is required to follow.

A straight answer is sometimes really hard to get...even for us providers.
Unregistered 05:48 PM 09-05-2011
I was told this too by daycares and found out in the end it wasn't true by their definition (they were defining it outside of the state's actual definition). My child was at a daycare that didn't require children to lay down for a nap and licensing was there and viewed this and they didn't get written up. The definition of rest period is vague. Most daycares define it as taking a nap or lying on a cot and I found out why. They use this time for their personal break time or paperwork completion time and that's why they're adament about kids in their care lying down to rest. When they get distracted by a child who doesn't sleep during nap, they get pretty irritated because they don't get their paperwork done during work hours. Or they can't sit on this forum and type post replies to their buddies during nap time. Chidren simply need to be having a rest period - call your local licensing agency to find out exactly how that should be defined for your state - even sitting down reading books or coloring quietly at a table is considered rest time in our state - bet you didn't know that! I didn't until a year ago and my child and I are MUCH happier for it. There are rules governing disinfecting toys. From what I gather, most daycares ignore those rules and only really disinfect those toys when there's a major sickness going around like strep or the flu or something like that, otherwise, it doesn't generally get done per the schedule the state sets. Nothing much you can do there, because not a single daycare we've been at it disinfected according to our state's requirements.
blessedmess8 05:28 AM 09-06-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I was told this too by daycares and found out in the end it wasn't true by their definition (they were defining it outside of the state's actual definition). My child was at a daycare that didn't require children to lay down for a nap and licensing was there and viewed this and they didn't get written up. The definition of rest period is vague. Most daycares define it as taking a nap or lying on a cot and I found out why. They use this time for their personal break time or paperwork completion time and that's why they're adament about kids in their care lying down to rest. When they get distracted by a child who doesn't sleep during nap, they get pretty irritated because they don't get their paperwork done during work hours. Or they can't sit on this forum and type post replies to their buddies during nap time. Chidren simply need to be having a rest period - call your local licensing agency to find out exactly how that should be defined for your state - even sitting down reading books or coloring quietly at a table is considered rest time in our state - bet you didn't know that! I didn't until a year ago and my child and I are MUCH happier for it. There are rules governing disinfecting toys. From what I gather, most daycares ignore those rules and only really disinfect those toys when there's a major sickness going around like strep or the flu or something like that, otherwise, it doesn't generally get done per the schedule the state sets. Nothing much you can do there, because not a single daycare we've been at it disinfected according to our state's requirements.
Just to put your mind at ease, our state doesn't have rules about how often we have to disinfect, but the center I worked at before this disinfected toys daily in the infant and toddler rooms are disinfected daily and the older rooms were on a schedule where each center was disinfected weekly. And if we hadn't had nap time, we coldnt have gotten the cleaning done. Now that I am a home provider, I try to disinfect once a week. Not all daycares are bad!!
godiva83 06:09 AM 09-06-2011
I have worked at several large daycare centers as an ECE teacher and later supervisor, I have recently transitioned into opening my HDC, and let me tell you there are regulations that must be met in Ontario regarding sanitizing- and all I have worked with did a thorough job of disinfecting all toys and supplies.
In an infant room sanitizing is to be done daily
Toddler everyother day and mouthed toys daily, diaper area after and BEFORE each use, tables after and before each use, preschool weekly there washroom after each group use tables after and before use, kinder bi-weekly and monthly
You can very easily tell if a daycare keeps up on sanitizing and if the licensing didn't think they were up to par they may not score well or their license may not be renewed. As for naps it is different for each age group, yes each child is asked to 'rest' not meaning sleep on their cots for a certain amount of time, and quiet activities are set up for those early risers. Of course, this nap time is beneficial for all, teachers and kids included. It is a time to regroup, complete daily reports, disinfect, prepare snack, and afternoon activities, while the children are resting supervision is easiest and it allows the teacher to complete needed tasks while keeping all children safe, it also allows ratios to be down and teachers get their well deserved lunch breaks
Hunni Bee 08:05 PM 09-11-2011
Why is nap-time always looked at as torture to the children and just an excuse for providers to get rid of the children?

If a three-year-old gets up at 6 am, they are going to be out of their mind with sleep by 1 pm after talking, playing, going outside, eating and being in such an intense environment (other 3 year olds) for 6 hours. To not give that child a chance to rest is cruel. And if other children are up playing and talking, that child will find it hard to nap, plus they will try to push past their sleepiness to stay up because they don't want to "miss out". The result is a crying, irritable mess come 4 pm.

That being said, if a child is not tired, no amount of making them lie on a cot will make them be quiet and go to sleep. So its pointless to try and make them do it. All thats going to happen is the teacher will wake the other children by constantly speaking to the child thats not tired. So we compromise. They lie down for 30 minutes so that just in case they are sleepy they can go on to sleep (which happens most of the time) and to allow the other children to drift off without disturbance. Then if the child still isnt sleepy, then they can get up and draw, do a puzzle or some other quiet activity.

Plus, parents expect for the room/toys/restrooms to be clean, paperwork to be done, their phone calls returned, etc. We should not be doing those things while we supposed to be supervising and interacting with the children, nor will most of us be paid to stay after hours and do them. So they are done at nap. I have NEVER gone on this forum while I had children in my care.

Lastly, consider the high-intensity environment of being in an enclosed space with 8-12 young children all day. Even with the most well-behaved group, its physically and mentally draining. And since most of us (especially those of us who work at centers) do not have a perfectly behaved group and are operating at max ratios, its even more intense. You want us to have a break, believe me. I don't even get a "lunch break" where I go away from the children and do what I want. My break is a quiet, dim room with calming music playing and not having to talk or supervise 10 children separately. Thats all I ask for...but I do ask for and need it.
Unregistered 08:16 AM 09-13-2011
"Why is nap-time always looked at as torture to the children and just an excuse for providers to get rid of the children?

If a three-year-old gets up at 6 am, they are going to be out of their mind with sleep by 1 pm after talking, playing, going outside, eating and being in such an intense environment (other 3 year olds) for 6 hours. To not give that child a chance to rest is cruel. And if other children are up playing and talking, that child will find it hard to nap, plus they will try to push past their sleepiness to stay up because they don't want to "miss out". The result is a crying, irritable mess come 4 pm."

AGREE 110%

I personally don't care if a child naps or doesn't. I do care when they don't nap and cry, throw fits, ect the rest of the day. I often have parents tell me to wake their child up after X amount of time. I did that for a while until I'm carrying a non stop crying 35 pound two year old for 6 hours or a little 13 month that decides to pass out right on the floor.

I've found that limiting their nap times to under an hour never helps a child sleep through the night, sleep in any later, ect. They may crash on the way home and sleep until 3 in the morning though. Then the next morning I hear how "Billy the 15 months old" has up sense 3 and please try to keep him up all day today so that we can have a good night sleep tonight. I almost call it abuse to try to keep "Billy" from sleeping that day. So now today "Billy" sleeps off and on in my arms, because I'm not suppose to lay him down. He really doesn't get a good rest because he hears my voice constantly along with the noise from the others, he his being jerked around while I'm trying to cook, help with arts and crafts, ect.

I have found children 3 and under 3 need at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Children approaching 4 and older may do ok with out a nap one day, but it shows the next day and they do need a nap. Only on occation will a child admit they need a nap. I you ask they are bound to say they aren't sleepy.

I have long quit waking up sleeping children. New families understand, where the old one did have to get use to there child not crashing for the night at 6. Every one is much happier, and in the end once the children were on a routine nap schedule their night sleeping improved.
AmandasFCC 12:03 PM 09-13-2011
Nap time is tough one. I recognize that some kids don't need sleep (I was one), but I firmly believe that if they don't need that nap, they simply won't fall asleep. When I was in daycare I distinctly remember lying on the nap cot WIDE awake with my eyes closed, desperately trying to fall asleep just like everyone else. I could NOT do it.

I have dcb4 who has napped here since he started a few months ago, now parents don't want him napping. I've always gotten him up as soon as he starts to stir, otherwise he's a bear to wake up later and whines and cries the rest of the day. This has always worked really well for us, he gets an hour to read quietly and wake up, and I get a happy boy in the afternoon. Now parents don't want him to sleep. Now I have a 4 year old who is wetting the bed and generally WIRED for the afternoon.

Sure seems like the 2 are correlated to me.
Unregistered 09:27 AM 09-15-2011
My son's daycare provider purposely makes the room really dark and puts the children in play yards with pillows and blankets so they think it's night time and will sleep for 3-4 hours. All parents at the daycare have complained about their children not sleeping at night, but she does this so she can do whatever she wants to do. Or she often sleeps too while the children are naping (I would love to be able to take a nap at my desk in the middle of my day!! ...). When I ask her about this she tells me that she won't wake a sleeping child because they get cranky, but isn't this extreme? My son doesn't go to bed until almost 10 everynight and then it's a fight to wake him up in the morning.

All the providers in this forum do is complain, but they all choose to be day care providers!! Everyone has a personal choice on what they chose to do especially when they have their own business. I choose to work in an office environment...I have paper work and stuff that needs to be done and would love a chance to just do it and catch up on stuff...but guess what? all my "main work" comes first. If I don't like it...I could find a new profession. Why do providers act like they're so different? I have to stay after 5 alot of the time or work at home to do stuff that I couldn't get done during the day. I don't want to nor do I like doing it...but I have to do my job at any cost. Appearently day care providers are immune to that and should have the children sleep for hours on end so that they have their precious time to get their stuff done?

I guess I dont understand why the toys/rooms can't be disinfected right after the children leave? How is this any different from a parent who leaves work to pick up their child, but has to turn their lap top on once they walk in the door to finish up something that they needed done that day? (which I have to do daily) We all have a tough job to do...why can't that just be the way it is? Instead of what I see in this forum that parents do nothing all day, don't care about their children and just drop them off at daycare to be a burden on all you providers so you can complain about what you choose to do?
Clreyes 01:06 PM 09-15-2011
Thank you for all the responses. I appreciate one and all taking the time.
I live in California and it is a licensed day care. I did call the State licensing office that handles the preschool my DD attends and there is no Law stating a child has to nap and there is NO quit area that is manditory. They have a PC code that actually states a child should not be forced to nap. I in no way shape or form have an issue with my child napping but she does not want to and gets very upset when she was being put in that situation. She also knows if she is tired she can ask to be put down to rest (which she actually did yesterday and feel asleep) As for the cleaning, I was surprised to hear from the State that there are no laws pertaining to cleaning! But the person I spoke to was shocked when I told them they only cleaned 2 times a yr and she said they need to use common sense in regards to that. I personally took it apone myself to start what I call a 911 Emergency Crew which is a parent volunteer group that will come in same day of a contagious infection and clean toys and class rooms. Since my questioning about the cleaning all the teachers have been more then willing to start cleaning the toys and taking pro action to keep the toys safer when it comes to cleanliness. Thanks again and thank you to all the wonderful TEACHERS and Home Day Care providers.
JenNJ 02:03 PM 09-15-2011
I clean when my daycare children nap. I do daycare related laundry, clean toys and fixtures, work on lesson plans, and restock supplies. I even shop online for daycare supplies and visit here. I don't use nap as a long break (other than a quick lunch and bathroom break) because after I close, I want to be done working for the day IN THE HOUSE.

I have 3 hours a week of errands related to daycare outside daycare hours per week, plus I work for two hours before my first child gets here each morning. I do 12 hours a day inside the house, so yes, I clean at naptime.

But I am fortunate to be able to be picky in which children/parents I choose. I choose parents who agree that a safe environment is a clean one and appreciate the efforts I go to to keep a clean space for the kids. I also only care for kids who nap. I don't do school aged kids, children who can't/don't nap, or whose parents choose for them not to nap. It simply doesn't fit my program and if it isn't a right fit, no one will be happy with that arrangement for long.
mom2many 02:33 PM 09-15-2011
My son's daycare provider purposely makes the room really dark and puts the children in play yards with pillows and blankets so they think it's night time and will sleep for 3-4 hours. All parents at the daycare have complained about their children not sleeping at night, but she does this so she can do whatever she wants to do. Or she often sleeps too while the children are naping (I would love to be able to take a nap at my desk in the middle of my day!! ...). When I ask her about this she tells me that she won't wake a sleeping child because they get cranky, but isn't this extreme? My son doesn't go to bed until almost 10 everynight and then it's a fight to wake him up in the morning.

All the providers in this forum do is complain, but they all choose to be day care providers!! Everyone has a personal choice on what they chose to do especially when they have their own business. I choose to work in an office environment...I have paper work and stuff that needs to be done and would love a chance to just do it and catch up on stuff...but guess what? all my "main work" comes first. If I don't like it...I could find a new profession. Why do providers act like they're so different? I have to stay after 5 alot of the time or work at home to do stuff that I couldn't get done during the day. I don't want to nor do I like doing it...but I have to do my job at any cost. Appearently day care providers are immune to that and should have the children sleep for hours on end so that they have their precious time to get their stuff done?

I guess I dont understand why the toys/rooms can't be disinfected right after the children leave? How is this any different from a parent who leaves work to pick up their child, but has to turn their lap top on once they walk in the door to finish up something that they needed done that day? (which I have to do daily) We all have a tough job to do...why can't that just be the way it is? Instead of what I see in this forum that parents do nothing all day, don't care about their children and just drop them off at daycare to be a burden on all you providers so you can complain about what you choose to do?
Sorry you feel this way...believe me we are all not horrible people! I've been in this profession a very long time and absolutely LOVE what I do! Some days aren't easy and yet no job is ever without its challenges from time to time!

I've never had a child sleep 3-4 hours! Most sleep anywhere from 1-2 hours depending on their age. Parents have always wanted their children to nap, so they aren't exhausted and falling apart when they get picked up and I try to use this time to get paperwork done, clean toys and tidy up the kitchen from lunch.

I have always had a great working relationship with my parents and totally get that it's not easy for them. I will even go out of my way to help them. For instance, I have a dcm who is a teacher and has a staff meeting till 5 pm every Tuesday. I offered to feed her 2 S/A children an additional snack that is more like a dinner at 4 pm, to make it easier, so she is not so stressed trying to get them fed and ready for their football and cheer practices that start at 5:30!

I would recommend finding a new provider, if you are unhappy with the amount of time your child is sleeping...especially if the provider is sleeping herself! I would never be okay with my own child not going to sleep till 10 pm.
Crystal 02:53 PM 09-15-2011
California napping regs:

101230 ACTIVITIES/NAPPING 101230
(a) Each center shall provide a variety of daily activities designed to meet the needs of children in care,
including but not limited to:
(1) Quiet and active play.
(2) Rest and relaxation.
(3) Eating.
(4) Toileting.
(b) All children shall be given an opportunity to nap or rest without distraction or disturbance from other
activities at the center.
(1) A napping space and a cot or mat shall be available for each child under the age of five.
(2) Centers that serve children in half-day programs are not required to schedule napping periods or
have napping equipment for such children.
(3) No child shall be forced to stay awake or to stay in the napping area longer than the normal
napping period.

CALIFORNIA-DSS-MANUAL-CCL
MANUAL LETTER NO. CCL-98-11 Effective 11/1/98
Page
xdaycare worker 09:22 AM 09-20-2011
Originally Posted by Clreyes:
Thank you for all the responses. I appreciate one and all taking the time.
I live in California and it is a licensed day care. I did call the State licensing office that handles the preschool my DD attends and there is no Law stating a child has to nap and there is NO quit area that is manditory. They have a PC code that actually states a child should not be forced to nap. I in no way shape or form have an issue with my child napping but she does not want to and gets very upset when she was being put in that situation. She also knows if she is tired she can ask to be put down to rest (which she actually did yesterday and feel asleep) As for the cleaning, I was surprised to hear from the State that there are no laws pertaining to cleaning! But the person I spoke to was shocked when I told them they only cleaned 2 times a yr and she said they need to use common sense in regards to that. I personally took it apone myself to start what I call a 911 Emergency Crew which is a parent volunteer group that will come in same day of a contagious infection and clean toys and class rooms. Since my questioning about the cleaning all the teachers have been more then willing to start cleaning the toys and taking pro action to keep the toys safer when it comes to cleanliness. Thanks again and thank you to all the wonderful TEACHERS and Home Day Care providers.

I just have a few comments. First, I don't understand why someone from the state told you there are no laws regarding cleaning. Although each state is different, they all have strict rules/regulations regarding cleaning/disinfecting. Are you positive your dc is licensed? How do you know that they only clean 2x a year? It's hard to believe that a dc owner or teacher would just admit something like that... even if it was true.

I also don't understand why your child's dc would even consider allowing a volunteer group of parents to come in and clean? That alone is reason enough to get their license removed. And any insurance carrier would drop them like a hot potato. It's just unheard of.

Lastly, if your dc is that bad, why would you even consider leaving your child there?

I'd get my kid out ASAP.
Unregistered 11:11 AM 09-20-2011

I wasn't going to respond to this post, but I feel like I have to.

Do you have any idea how long it would take for providers to do all of their cleaning after all of the kids leave for the day? If you had even the slightest idea how long it takes, you wouldn't even suggest that providers wait until after the kids leave to clean. That is a foolish suggestion.

As far as your provider goes, if she is sleeping during naptime, take it up with her! Don't assume that all other providers do that, too. Most of us are actually working for a good portion of nap time.

If you can't get your child to sleep at night, then maybe you should examine what your child's bedtime ritual consists of. A nap at daycare shouldn't have that much of an affect as long as it's a reasonable amount of time and the child isn't sleeping too late.

Most of us put in longer days than ANY of the parents of the children in our care. If we didn't try to get as much done during naptime as we could, then our days would be even longer still. Don't make it seem like your situation is the same as ours. It's not.

Lastly, naptime is important for children in daycare. I'm not saying that they need to sleep, but they do need some down time. Consider that.
Unregistered 11:28 AM 09-20-2011

Good for her, my kids typically sleep 1-3 hours depending on the child. Consider yourself lucky, you get to spend quality time with your child at night! And we know all you parents out there that work f/t want those extra hours to be with your precious little ones!

And I'm sure your not complaining because you also chose to become a parent!!!
youretooloud 11:52 AM 09-20-2011
My son's daycare provider purposely makes the room really dark and puts the children in play yards with pillows and blankets so they think it's night time and will sleep for 3-4 hours. All parents at the daycare have complained about their children not sleeping at night, but she does this so she can do whatever she wants to do. Or she often sleeps too while the children are naping (I would love to be able to take a nap at my desk in the middle of my day!! ...).

I have a hard time believing any provider would let a child sleep 3-4 hours. I think the parents who are complaining about the child not sleeping are the parents who want the child to go to bed right after dinner. I understand the parents are tired and have things to do, but it's not the provider's problem. The parent needs to parent.

Now, a four year old probably doesn't need a nap every day. But, a two year old still needs a nap. The parents need to make arrangements in their schedule if having their child awake at 8:30 or 9:00 is a huge problem, they need to find a way to make it work without saying "I think little precious needs to start staying awake and should be highly entertained during naptime because it's starting to upset my alone time".

Of course we make it comfey and quiet for sleeping... that would defeat the purpose of nap time to have the kids sit down without pillows and a dark room.
Unregistered 01:49 PM 09-20-2011
I wasn't going to respond to this post, but I feel like I have to.

Do you have any idea how long it would take for providers to do all of their cleaning after all of the kids leave for the day? If you had even the slightest idea how long it takes, you wouldn't even suggest that providers wait until after the kids leave to clean. That is a foolish suggestion.

As far as your provider goes, if she is sleeping during naptime, take it up with her! Don't assume that all other providers do that, too. Most of us are actually working for a good portion of nap time.

If you can't get your child to sleep at night, then maybe you should examine what your child's bedtime ritual consists of. A nap at daycare shouldn't have that much of an affect as long as it's a reasonable amount of time and the child isn't sleeping too late.

Most of us put in longer days than ANY of the parents of the children in our care. If we didn't try to get as much done during naptime as we could, then our days would be even longer still. Don't make it seem like your situation is the same as ours. It's not.

Lastly, naptime is important for children in daycare. I'm not saying that they need to sleep, but they do need some down time. Consider that.
I probably do know how long it takes to clean a daycare since I have to clean my house also? My son has just as many toys that need to be cleaned, I have dishes and everything else...maybe a little extra time for the extra few dishes (his daycare is small, only 3-4 kids on anyday).

and why are you telling me to examine my bedtime ritual, if I mentioned nothing of it? It's not the bedtime ritual, its the extra long nap he has. I find it funny all the parents are complaining? my son has a good bedtime ritual that we do every night. dinner, play time, 1 show, a bath, 2 books, and then he gets tucked in. A 3-4 hour nap when he should only be sleeping 1-2 at the most would obviously have a huge inpact on when he's going to actually fall asleep! can you take a 4 hour name in the middle of the day and fall asleep ontime? i can't!

and you're telling me you put in a longer day than me also? that's funny cause I don't think I mentioned my hours here? I'm not going to argue about who puts a longer day in...that's just petty. As my post stated I said, why can't it be acknowledge that both providers and parents have tough jobs and be left at that? buy you appreantly needed to prove your job is tougher!

But then again...I'm sure you assume I'm one of those parents that just want my kid to go to bed at 5pm when we walk in the door so I don't have to deal wit him right? Since that's what all you providers think about parents...I forgot

Lastly...I never said my child shouldn't nap. He obviously does need a nap at 2 years old. A nap of 1-2 hours is perfect. Not 3-4.
Unregistered 07:50 PM 09-20-2011
I probably do know how long it takes to clean a daycare since I have to clean my house also? My son has just as many toys that need to be cleaned, I have dishes and everything else...maybe a little extra time for the extra few dishes (his daycare is small, only 3-4 kids on anyday).

and why are you telling me to examine my bedtime ritual, if I mentioned nothing of it? It's not the bedtime ritual, its the extra long nap he has. I find it funny all the parents are complaining? my son has a good bedtime ritual that we do every night. dinner, play time, 1 show, a bath, 2 books, and then he gets tucked in. A 3-4 hour nap when he should only be sleeping 1-2 at the most would obviously have a huge inpact on when he's going to actually fall asleep! can you take a 4 hour name in the middle of the day and fall asleep ontime? i can't!

and you're telling me you put in a longer day than me also? that's funny cause I don't think I mentioned my hours here? I'm not going to argue about who puts a longer day in...that's just petty. As my post stated I said, why can't it be acknowledge that both providers and parents have tough jobs and be left at that? buy you appreantly needed to prove your job is tougher!

But then again...I'm sure you assume I'm one of those parents that just want my kid to go to bed at 5pm when we walk in the door so I don't have to deal wit him right? Since that's what all you providers think about parents...I forgot

Lastly...I never said my child shouldn't nap. He obviously does need a nap at 2 years old. A nap of 1-2 hours is perfect. Not 3-4.
It is funny that you mention that "all you providers" think this way about parents! Sounds too me like you are the one being judgemental about all of us providers!!! You have not heard all of our opinions nor did anyone say anything about "all parents" wanting to to put their children to bed at 5pm. If you don't like your provider you can find a new one. I just feel bad for whoever it is since you seem to have quite a bit of anger towards providers in general. Good luck with that!
Unregistered 03:57 AM 09-21-2011
It is funny that you mention that "all you providers" think this way about parents! Sounds too me like you are the one being judgemental about all of us providers!!! You have not heard all of our opinions nor did anyone say anything about "all parents" wanting to to put their children to bed at 5pm. If you don't like your provider you can find a new one. I just feel bad for whoever it is since you seem to have quite a bit of anger towards providers in general. Good luck with that!
Not all of them...just the ones on this forum. I have a good relationship with my provider (we can talk stuff out even if we dont always agree). I never thought this way until I came here and saw how most of the providers on here just blame everything on that parents dont care and they are the ones really taking care of our kids. My provider doesnt act like that. In my original post I was simply stating a situation that was happening, but look what happened? The providers on here automatically assumed I was a bad parent and it was something im doing wrong and talk about how much tougher theyre job is than mine? Come on? lol
Unregistered 06:47 AM 09-21-2011
For one you cannot make children sleep 4 hours, so doubtful the children are sleeping that long to begin with. In a busy daycare, children will sleep 1-3 hours though I will wake mine up after 2.5. I will bet this is more than likely the case, and if I ever had a child sleep that long that would be a clear indicator it was needed because they didn't sleep the night before.

Its a simple solution, just ask your provider to wake him up after 2 hours. I am sure she will comply. Mainly providers are similar in their thinking, and believe me yours is no different. She may even be on here for all you know. Anyone that has been a provider for a significant amount of time knows its a lot about politics.
youretooloud 03:26 PM 09-21-2011
He obviously does need a nap at 2 years old. A nap of 1-2 hours is perfect. Not 3-4.

But.. if that is true. (and I still have a hard time thinking it is) then you need a new provider. There is no reason for a child over 12 months to sleep that long in one day.

I wonder if he's actually sleeping that long? Maybe nap is from 12:00-2:00, but he's falling asleep at 1:50... so she lets him sleep for an hour or so before waking him.

I always say "never wake a sleeping child". But, I'd never let a kid sleep til 3:30 or 4:00. So, that's what makes me think you are misunderstanding it.
dave4him 12:02 AM 10-14-2011
If i keep them busy enough they tend to nap anyway. The ground rules state there needs to be a rest time and rest mats ready for them to take naps. But im not sure if we would get in trouble if they were not sleeping during the specific time planned for them to be
Unregistered 07:26 AM 10-14-2011
I watched a child once who NEEDED to sleep 4-5hrs every day. His mom ALWAYS had something planned for them to go to after she picked up. They didn't get home until 9 or 9:30 most nights so he wasn't in bed until 10. She had to wake a crabby boy at 7 to get him here by 7:45. He was always an absolute bear if he didn't get that long nap in. Nine hours of night time sleep just isn't enough for a little fella. He didn't sleep well at night and she always looked at me kind of funny when he'd still be sleeping at 4:30 when she got here, but what else was I to do? She wouldn't stay home to put him to bed at a decent time so I let him sleep. He NEVER napped on the weekends so come Monday, this child pretty much slept all day, exhausted from the weekend. It was SO sad, and what's more sad is that now that he's in school, he doesn't know how to act around other kids. He gets in fights and is just plain naughty. The mom doesn't have a clue what she should do about it and feels like she failed somewhere. They're still doing LOTS of after work activities and yes, I'm guessing it's to keep him busy so she doesn't have to deal with him. She's never understood that while an adult needs 8 hours of sleep, that a child needs MORE sleep.

So, are some parents great parents? Yes, of course! Are some parents not so stellar? Yes, we see it all the time. Do we need to discuss what to do with the great parents? No, not really. Do we need to discuss the not so stellar ones? Yes, how else would we get opinions on how to deal with them? Nobody needs help dealing with the great parents, even though they DO exist.
dave4him 07:42 PM 10-14-2011
Kids just like to sleep when they want to sleep
REWALKER04 08:12 AM 02-02-2012
Not all of them...just the ones on this forum. I have a good relationship with my provider (we can talk stuff out even if we dont always agree). I never thought this way until I came here and saw how most of the providers on here just blame everything on that parents dont care and they are the ones really taking care of our kids. My provider doesnt act like that. In my original post I was simply stating a situation that was happening, but look what happened? The providers on here automatically assumed I was a bad parent and it was something im doing wrong and talk about how much tougher theyre job is than mine? Come on? lol
so stop coming on this forum if you dont like what the people have to say here. Easy as that~Alot of this forum is providers to providers just venting to help out the day or to get advise.This forum isnt mandatory in your life so maybe you should move on. Dont get worked up so much for something that if your provider is on the same page as you doesnt matter. Each provider is different and therefor has different views. Those views are how they decide to run there business and if you dont agree who cares because your child does not attend there. And all the families that go there are probably sharing that providers view otherwise it is up to them to work it out.
Countrygal 11:22 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by blessedmess8:
Just to put your mind at ease, our state doesn't have rules about how often we have to disinfect, but the center I worked at before this disinfected toys daily in the infant and toddler rooms are disinfected daily and the older rooms were on a schedule where each center was disinfected weekly. And if we hadn't had nap time, we coldnt have gotten the cleaning done. Now that I am a home provider, I try to disinfect once a week. Not all daycares are bad!!
Ditto here. I don't think our state certification has any rules, but I disinfect all toys that were played with weekly - and yes, I know what they've played with. They are all in bins and if even one toy has been out of that bin they all get disinfected.
itlw8 01:52 PM 02-02-2012
I have no idea what your state regulations are but Missouri clearly states all children under school age must be provided with a place to lay down and rest. If after 1 hour they have not fallen asleep they should be let up and provided with quiet activites.

So yes in Missouri the state says your child must lay down for a nap. If they do not sleep they can get up in an hour. no where does it say I should make a child sleep or make a child stay awake.
itlw8 03:30 PM 02-02-2012

Well I work 10 1/2 hour days so parents can work 8 hour days, take a lunch break ,and drive 2 and from work. I get no lunch break, no morning break, nothing. If I want to go to the bathroom I need to hear them at all times or wait until they are asleep. Nap time is the only time

Why do I not sanitize all toys daily? Well to remove all toys from the shelves. Wash rinse , sanitize and then let air dry before replacing on the shelves. takes about 3 hours then the regular cleaning and prep for the next day. Well my family would like to eat before 10 PM and you would have one burnt out tired provider if I needed to work 15 hour days before I even started taking care of my own family.

I love my work but If I needed to work 75 hours a week I would not like it very long would I? If you are doing 7 hours af paperwork on your laptop each evening I bet even you could use a nap.
Countrygal 04:49 AM 02-03-2012
Actually, I have one boy who often sleeps three hours. His parents know this and agree that he takes a long nap. They are used to it. If you wake him up he is a BEAR!!! A lot depends upon what we've done that day - how long we've played outside, whether we've had other physical activities, like dancing, etc. If we eat a late lunch he is literally running for his blankets and cot as soon as it is over!

My own gs was like this. He didn't give up his nap until way after age 4, and honestly, some days he still needs one at 5yo, depending upon the day.

But then, I don't have half a dozen others running around, or I'm sure he wouldn't sleep that long.

And I do put on soft music and turn down the lights in the room they are having their quiet time in. For other children they must relax for 1 hour. I have an open concept house, so the lights remain on in other areas, so it is not "black like night". I am of the same opinion as others here that children NEED this down time, that it is actually cruel NOT to give them a break from all of the sensory load.
Tags:california - regulations, cleaning, napping, toy cleaning
Reply Up