Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Offence Nannies...
Christian Mother 01:59 PM 04-16-2012
I am not sure if this is a vent or what but OHMY GOSH!!

A friend of mine's sister is in town..she's a nanny but only here for 2 wks. They live right a crossed the street. I called to see if she would mind watching my 2 kids (9 son/5 daughter) for maybe 3 hrs. Thinking she wouldn't mind making a few extra bucks while in town.

Wanted to take my self down to get my hair done at the Hair School. It's all I can offered beyond a babysitter. Hair Schools take longer..maybe 3 hrs.

The nanny quoted me $16 a hr PER CHILD.

CAN I JUST SAY.....I MUST BE IN THE WRONG BIZ IF NANNIES ARE ASHUALLY MAKING THAT.

**I only wanted a babysitter for a few hrs**
daycare 02:03 PM 04-16-2012
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
I am not sure if this is a vent or what but OHMY GOSH!!

A friend of mine's sister is in town..she's a nanny but only here for 2 wks. They live right a crossed the street. I called to see if she would mind watching my 2 kids (9 son/5 daughter) for maybe 3 hrs. Thinking she wouldn't mind making a few extra bucks while in town.

Wanted to take my self down to get my hair done at the Hair School. It's all I can offered beyond a babysitter. Hair Schools take longer..maybe 3 hrs.

The nanny quoted me $16 a hr PER CHILD.

CAN I JUST SAY.....I MUST BE IN THE WRONG BIZ IF NANNIES ARE ASHUALLY MAKING THAT.

**I only wanted a babysitter for a few hrs**
per hour WOOWWOWOOWOWOWO
wdmmom 02:07 PM 04-16-2012
It's not that she makes that much. That's what she quoted you because she didn't want to do it.

Anytime I have daycare parents ask for above and beyond, I attach a fee to it. Her fee was just more outlandish than most.
cheerfuldom 02:29 PM 04-16-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
It's not that she makes that much. That's what she quoted you because she didn't want to do it.

Anytime I have daycare parents ask for above and beyond, I attach a fee to it. Her fee was just more outlandish than most.
I agree. She's on vacation right? I would rather have the time with friends and family than "make a few bucks".
Soupyszoo 02:38 PM 04-16-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I agree. She's on vacation right? I would rather have the time with friends and family than "make a few bucks".
I wouldn't want to do it, and I may be a little offended you even asked knowing I'm on vacation...

Sorry. I agree that the higher price was probably just for you.
MNMum 02:43 PM 04-16-2012
No offense babysitters either....I posted on sittercity to have a mother's helper come to my place a couple hours per week while my husband is away for 6 weeks. They all want 15 dollars per hour. I'm not that old, and I used to make $1/hr per kid. I thought $5/hour was amazing!
Country Kids 02:54 PM 04-16-2012
Originally Posted by MNMum:
No offense babysitters either....I posted on sittercity to have a mother's helper come to my place a couple hours per week while my husband is away for 6 weeks. They all want 15 dollars per hour. I'm not that old, and I used to make $1/hr per kid. I thought $5/hour was amazing!
I know where your coming from. Thats why when I think of hiring an assistant I don't know because they would honestly be making more then me an hour for part of the day so I would be losing money!

I'm thinking though it would be easier to have an assistant then keep finding a substitute.
Lianne 04:33 PM 04-16-2012
I was a nanny for 14 years and at the end I was charging $18/hr for babysitting. You don't want to know what I was paid, per hour, as a nanny

Oh, I left nannying 5 1/2yrs ago.
cheerfuldom 06:44 PM 04-16-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I know where your coming from. Thats why when I think of hiring an assistant I don't know because they would honestly be making more then me an hour for part of the day so I would be losing money!

I'm thinking though it would be easier to have an assistant then keep finding a substitute.
An assistant will normally work for minimum wage or somewhere right around there. I pay my girl $8 an hour. The thing I dont understand is why daycare workers even stay at a facility.....why not just nanny? Usually it is 1 to 3 kids and you get paid twice as much.
DaisyMamma 03:18 AM 04-17-2012
An assistant will normally work for minimum wage or somewhere right around there. I pay my girl $8 an hour. The thing I dont understand is why daycare workers even stay at a facility.....why not just nanny? Usually it is 1 to 3 kids and you get paid twice as much.
It's true. The problem nannys have around here is that families take advantage, canceling a day last minute and not paying them, not getting holiday pay, etc. A friend of mine is a nanny and I warned her of this, gave her my contract and said come up with one of your own. She didn't and 6 months later she was complaining about not getting paid for holidays, vacations, sick days (the mom is a teacher).

But most make $15/hr., but not $15/hr per child.
momofboys 04:15 AM 04-17-2012
I tried a short stint as a nanny & the problem in my opinion is you are relying on one family as your source of income - too many things could go wrong & then you are out of work. At a center at least that would be reliable & not all familieis want to pay you for time off/holidays. They just want to pro-rate your weekly check!

And edited to add - I never made $18/hr nannying. But I was allowed to bring my preschool age son with me so it was worthwhile to me.
MsMe 05:59 AM 04-17-2012
Originally Posted by Soupyszoo:
I wouldn't want to do it, and I may be a little offended you even asked knowing I'm on vacation...

Sorry. I agree that the higher price was probably just for you.
I agree about the higher price. I think it was rude you asked her to work on her vacation.
Christian Mother 02:04 PM 04-17-2012
Originally Posted by MsMe:
I agree about the higher price. I think it was rude you asked her to work on her vacation.
I don't find it rude in anyway in me asking her to babysit...she had told me while she was here she was looking for NANNYING Jobs. Did I neglect to put that in my post...ohhh yess....she's looking to make some money while she's out here. That is the ONLY reason I asked her if she would be interested in watching my 2 children. I can understand $16 an hr..but for 2 kids.

I was a nanny also and I never charged that much even for 2 kids. But people are a lot more demanding then they where in my time.
Soupyszoo 02:30 PM 04-17-2012
I don't find it rude in anyway in me asking her to babysit...she had told me while she was here she was looking for NANNYING Jobs. Did I neglect to put that in my post...ohhh yess....she's looking to make some money while she's out here. That is the ONLY reason I asked her if she would be interested in watching my 2 children. I can understand $16 an hr..but for 2 kids.

I was a nanny also and I never charged that much even for 2 kids. But people are a lot more demanding then they where in my time.
That does make a huge difference in your post then! Lol if she was asking for jobs and that's her going rate... Maybe she's Mary Poppins!
Blackcat31 02:54 PM 04-17-2012
Maybe $16 per child per hour was the going rate where she was working?

I would have told her I thought the price was a bit much for your area and perhaps talked with her more about it.

Maybe she really isn't aware of what average rates are in your area.

I have seen some major price difference in rates across this board alone so I guess I can't comment on whether I thought it was too steep or not.
MarinaVanessa 03:34 PM 04-17-2012
I know that it depends on the area that you live in but I used to work as a Nanny back when I was 17 through to about when I was about 21 or 22 (8 years ago in CA) and I charged $16 per hour for one child. I did work for a family with twins and got paid $22 an hour but I also had a lot of perks (a gym membership, use of one of their cars, access to their pool whenever I wanted including bringing friends, 1 week paid vacation, travel expenses paid when they went on vacation and wanted me to go with them and a yearly pass to the zoo that I could use whenever I wanted).

$15 an hour per child in my area is where the starting point is for a Nanny and that's for someone that has less than 2 years experience and no general education in child development so to me it sounds about right.

A baby-sitter on the other hand runs you about $7 an hour per kid and that usually gets you a high-school age kid-19yo. That's why I get so many requests for drop-ins, I only charge $5 an hour per child or $40 for a full day (10 hours).

And yeah Nanny's generally charge more hourly per child (it's the most expensive type of childcare out there) but Nanny's usually only watch one to two kids at a time max and usually only for one family at a time. Lucky ones may have several families that they work for (different days and times) but generally speaking only the wealthy families have full-time nanny's. Most times Nanny's work 2-3 days a week or 5 days a week either morning or evening shifts for 4 or 5 hours a day so the most that they can make in my area is about $300-$400 a week. I make more than that watching 2 FT kids KWIM. It sounds nice but in reality you can't really make a lot of money unless you work full-time and are live-out (live-ins get paid a little less). Not to mention that you're also a maid.
Christian Mother 09:52 PM 04-17-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Maybe $16 per child per hour was the going rate where she was working?

I would have told her I thought the price was a bit much for your area and perhaps talked with her more about it.

Maybe she really isn't aware of what average rates are in your area.

I have seen some major price difference in rates across this board alone so I guess I can't comment on whether I thought it was too steep or not.

When I called her the other night and I asked her if she had plans and would like to babysit for me she indicated that she normally makes $16 an hr per child as a Nanny...I told her that i felt that was to much for me to care for my children from 5:45pm til 8:00pm. I understand she is a Nanny but I felt like I wasn't needing her to be a Nanny to my children. My children would already have dinner set up for them and their old enough to put their pj's on and get ready for bed. Just someone to make sure this was done. I anticipated it taking at the most 3 hrs. She did agree to $20 over the phone for possible 3 hrs and felt that was fair but then yesterday morning she changed her mind and said that since her parents where coming into town if she went over 3 hrs she wanted to charge me the $16 an hr per child since she would be missing out on time with her family. I told her that really not to worry I would want her to spend time with her family but inside I was questioning why this wasn't brought up before. So I had time to find someone else. But it was that morning and also wanting to charge me more on top of our agreed amount.

When I was a nanny I cared for 3 children full time for a family and I was paid $11 an hr for all of them I believe I was paid for just he hrs I had the kids or if I was also doing house work. This of course was at least 15 yrs ago. I thought I was making a lot back then...lol!! Oh well, live and learn.
MsMe 05:36 AM 04-18-2012

It is different if she had told you she was looking to work while she was in town.
cheerfuldom 07:01 AM 04-18-2012

maybe she was looking for permanent nannying jobs, not just babysitting for one evening? either way, I can now see how it was annoying since you posted extra details. maybe she doesnt even know for sure what she wants or is willing to do.
meganlavonnesmommy 08:18 AM 04-18-2012
An article in my Family Circle magazing was talking about teenage babysitting. It said the national average for what teenage sitters get paid is $12 an hour for collage age, $10 an hour for high school age,and $8 an hour for middle school age.

My fees are $4 per hour for hourly care. So I basically get paid less than a middle school age babysitter.
Blackcat31 08:20 AM 04-18-2012
Originally Posted by meganlavonnesmommy:
An article in my Family Circle magazing was talking about teenage babysitting. It said the national average for what teenage sitters get paid is $12 an hour for collage age, $10 an hour for high school age,and $8 an hour for middle school age.

My fees are $4 per hour for hourly care. So I basically get paid less than a middle school age babysitter.
I saw that too and thought, boy am I in the wrong business!!
Tags:nanny
Reply Up