Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do All Day?
athomemommy 05:19 AM 05-23-2012
We are spending more time outside and it seems like this week they are bored. I have an 11 yr old who said she is bored. Of course she wants to just watch tv. What do you do with all the different age groups. 3 two year olds, 2 four year olds and a part time 11 year old.
SilverSabre25 05:43 AM 05-23-2012
The 11 year old is going to be tough no matter where you spend your time. She probably is bored.

I wish I had advice for you, but my older niece and nephews all think that my house is boring because there's only little kid stuff! I have no clue what bigger kids like (besides my 10.5 yo niece who enjoys reading and my kittens, lol--she's always happy here).
SilverSabre25 05:50 AM 05-23-2012
Here's a thought for you--what if you give her some responsibilities, under the guise of "working" and her "pay" is a movie during nap-time? You could have her do things like, read to the little kids, help you get lunch (she could set the table or play with the little ones while you get the food ready), etc.

Also, have you tried asking HER what she would like besides TV?

Maybe have a special box of art supplies that she can use separate from the little kids?
GretasLittleFriends 05:59 AM 05-23-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Here's a thought for you--what if you give her some responsibilities, under the guise of "working" and her "pay" is a movie during nap-time? You could have her do things like, read to the little kids, help you get lunch (she could set the table or play with the little ones while you get the food ready), etc.

Also, have you tried asking HER what she would like besides TV?

Maybe have a special box of art supplies that she can use separate from the little kids?
Great suggestions. I too was going to suggest special art supplies, maybe thread and beads for jewelry making (friendship bracelets, necklaces, etc).
cheerfuldom 05:59 AM 05-23-2012
Have the 11 year old bring activities from home. A handheld game, books, hobby things....see what SHE wants to do and if you can accommodate her. Really though I wouldnt keep an 11 year old myself. She IS going to be bored, no doubt about that.
countrymom 07:03 AM 05-23-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Have the 11 year old bring activities from home. A handheld game, books, hobby things....see what SHE wants to do and if you can accommodate her. Really though I wouldnt keep an 11 year old myself. She IS going to be bored, no doubt about that.
I wouldn't watch an older sa anymore. Its going to be a long summer. can she go to camp or something. I really don't think she wants to hang out with littles all summer.
MarinaVanessa 07:34 AM 05-23-2012
The whole "I'm bored" thing is why I don't keep SA anymore. They are SO HARD to occupy and keep pacified. I take care of my 3yo nephew and I won't even care for his 10yo sibling because when he was here at 8yo all he ever did was complain that this was "baby daycare" (he was the oldest).

I do have my DD who is 7 and one other DCG that is her age but I also care for DCG's 4yo brother and at least DD and DCG keep each other occupied BUT DCG has been here for a while and has grown with the group. DCM already knows that the day that DCG complains that she no longer wants to be here it is time for her to find an afterschool program or a SA daycare (hard to find in my area).

I think that you have gotten great advice and suggestions from other members. The only one that I personally woudln't be comfortable with would be the handheld game suggestion. For me personally I'm thinking that the littles would want to crowd around this "new toy" and not want to "play". Maybe talking to DCM and asking her to provide more activities for DCG. You can suggest things like paint by numbers, soduku, oragami, carpet weaving kits etc. Things that maybe are new to her that she can practice at that take a while to complete may be interesting for her to try.
nothingwithoutjoy 09:41 AM 05-23-2012
I have a studio set up for all the kids' use (rather than a playroom; child care happens in my family room, kitchen, and the studio)--table, easel, shelves of recycled materials, papers, paints, crayons, pencils, clay, etc, etc, etc. The older kids back here for the summer love spending gobs of time in there, creating. Older-kid favorites are glue guns and duct tape (for their elaborate creations), crafty how-to books for inspiration, and the "special" markers (Pentel).

Edited to add: there are some photos of our studio here.
Heidi 10:49 AM 05-23-2012
Originally Posted by Lise:
I have a studio set up for all the kids' use (rather than a playroom; child care happens in my family room, kitchen, and the studio)--table, easel, shelves of recycled materials, papers, paints, crayons, pencils, clay, etc, etc, etc. The older kids back here for the summer love spending gobs of time in there, creating. Older-kid favorites are glue guns and duct tape (for their elaborate creations), crafty how-to books for inspiration, and the "special" markers (Pentel).
ooooh...good ideas!
sharlan 01:50 PM 05-23-2012
Oh, I hear ya. I have a 9 yo that I was so looking forward to leaving when school got out. All he ever does is tattle on the littles and complain about being bored. I ended up getting him 2 days a week for the summer. I've already started telling him that things are a lot different in the summer.

He's a very picky eater. Since Sept, he's only eaten pancakes w/ oj for breakfast, popcorn or yogurt for snack, and grilled cheese or turkey sandwiches for lunch. I told him come summer, he gets the same thing as everyone else. It'll be his choice to eat it or not. He told me that milk makes him vomit, so I've never given it to him. I found out last week that he does drink it at school, but doesn't like it.

I'll be setting out jigsaw puzzles along with all the other craft supplies, Legos, etc that I already do. I'll be having him bring a couple of books and I have workbooks for him. He'll also be allowed to bring his gameboy. The tv will not be on all day, but he may get a movie after lunch.
SilverSabre25 02:11 PM 05-23-2012
If she likes puzzles, is there a place you could set up a really hard jigsaw puzzle for her to work on long-term?
nothingwithoutjoy 07:46 PM 05-23-2012
Thank you!
Lianne 04:25 AM 05-24-2012
You could always sit down with her and together come up with ideas for her to keep busy with then put them in a container for her to pick one when she's bored.

At 11yrs old, she should be able to manage simple cooking and baking with little or no help.

Ask her to bake muffins or cookies for everyone.

Let her organize a lemonade stand

Have her set up an obstacle course or come up with a craft for the other kids.

If you're a computer friendly home, let her play for a period of time each day or have her earn computer/video game time by reading. 15mins of reading = 5mins of screen time to a max of 30 mins.

Read with her! Find a novel and sit with her at naptime and read the novel together. You read a chapter and she reads a chapter.

Teach her (or learn together) to sew or knit or crochet and make blankets for babies at the hospital or the animal shelter.

Get her a book on origami and some paper.

Make jewelery or key chains to sell of gift.

Find her a penpal (her own age or a senior) and have her write/email letters.

Have her write and illustrate a story to read to the other kids.

Have her build a fort or get her started washing all the outdoor toys. Get her a bunch of PVC pipes and connectors to build the fort or a carwash with (can find them on Pinterest)

Make a time capsule with her.

Get her to set up a scavenger hunt for the younger kids
Tags:routine, schedule
Reply Up