Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ran into a Daycare Parent...
originalkat 02:01 PM 05-25-2010
Today I needed to run a couple of errands so my hubby was watching the kids while I was gone. I was walking into the store and ran into one of my dc dads who was coming out. He is a teacher and school got out last friday. He kind of looked at me and said "what are you doing here?" I was upbeat and just said "Oh, I am just picking up a couple of things for the summer program." (which I was). I have told the parents that my hubby fills in for me when I have appointments etc...but I still wish I had not have run into him!
booroo 02:08 PM 05-25-2010
I would have said: well I though I would get some errands done while I had all the kids hanging from the ceiling in my house by their toes!! I have about 30 minutes before they start to come un tied, and are back to the races..

Sorry you ran into a parent, surely he understands!!
Former Teacher 02:16 PM 05-25-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
Today I needed to run a couple of errands so my hubby was watching the kids while I was gone. I was walking into the store and ran into one of my dc dads who was coming out. He is a teacher and school got out last friday. He kind of looked at me and said "what are you doing here?" I was upbeat and just said "Oh, I am just picking up a couple of things for the summer program." (which I was). I have told the parents that my hubby fills in for me when I have appointments etc...but I still wish I had not have run into him!
Where was his child? I would HATE when I left the dc for the day and go to Walmart or somewhere and just see parents taking their time shopping etc. Only to find out that they picked up their child HOURS after!
melskids 02:51 PM 05-25-2010
i would have said

"what are YOU doing here while little jonny is stuck sitting at my house?"

ok, maybe i wouldnt say it, but i would be thinkng it!!!!
momofboys 02:54 PM 05-25-2010
I take it you aren't watching his child now since he is out of school, right? Really none of his business what you are doing at the store.
originalkat 03:14 PM 05-25-2010
Thanks Guys! I knew I could count on you for a few chuckles and understanding! She is still coming full time all summer. I am not really sure why. But as long as I get paid I dont mind.

No he acted fine about it. But, I just felt a little uncomfortable about it so I wanted to vent to my daycare buddies.
momofboys 03:22 PM 05-25-2010
Thanks Guys! I knew I could count on you for a few chuckles and understanding! She is still coming full time all summer. I am not really sure why. But as long as I get paid I dont mind.

No he acted fine about it. But, I just felt a little uncomfortable about it so I wanted to vent to my daycare buddies.
Maybe you coudl just remind him that your DH was filling in so you could run errands. Frustrating though. What does he do all summer if he is not at school?!? Sort of sad that he doesn't want to be home with his kid at least a couple days a week.
tenderhearts 04:14 PM 05-25-2010
that has happened to me as well. All my parents know the same thing, that my husband or daughter sits in if I have an appointment or errand and they are all fine with it. I usually try to do the errands during nap time that way it's easier for my hubby
dice401 04:55 PM 05-25-2010
Likewise, I leave the children with dh while they are usually down for naps. Parents have to realize there are just some things that can only be done during regular business hours... Luckily all my parents are fine with dh watching them while I have to run out.
originalkat 05:21 PM 05-25-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
Maybe you coudl just remind him that your DH was filling in so you could run errands. Frustrating though. What does he do all summer if he is not at school?!? Sort of sad that he doesn't want to be home with his kid at least a couple days a week.
I agree.
Chickenhauler 08:28 PM 05-25-2010
My wife makes quick trips to the store, to pick up our kids from a school function, for this or that regularly while I'm home and watching the DC kids. No biggie.

One parent did seem a little concerned that my mother and I were watching DC kids with my wife out running an errand....until I pointed out that my mother was doing daycare long before this woman was a twinkle in her dad's eye.
QualiTcare 08:30 PM 05-25-2010
it's nice to run errands and have someone watch your kids, isn't it?
originalkat 07:33 AM 05-26-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
My wife makes quick trips to the store, to pick up our kids from a school function, for this or that regularly while I'm home and watching the DC kids. No biggie.

One parent did seem a little concerned that my mother and I were watching DC kids with my wife out running an errand....until I pointed out that my mother was doing daycare long before this woman was a twinkle in her dad's eye.
Ya, I think that the dcd might have been wondering why my husband wasnt running the errands while I was at home. But my hubby likes to give me a break sometimes and would rather stay home with the kids than run around from place to place following my list of to do's. I LOVE to be able to get out and about once in awhile. I didnt explain any of that to the dcd of course. I just acted natural like it was good to see him and it was no big deal. LOL!
Daycare Mommy 07:41 AM 05-26-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:
i would have said "what are YOU doing here while little jonny is stuck sitting at my house?"
Ditto!
katie 10:13 AM 05-26-2010
I went on my first errand yesterday while hubby was with kids during nap. I was freak out! But, good to hear it is norm for most folks, after all, some things do have to happen during business hours! lol
Carole's Daycare 10:43 AM 05-26-2010
I leave my daycare under the care of my hubby periodically- usually during nap for a chiro appt, or to run to bank on a Fri. Sometimes I need to be somewhere in the evening on time- and he gets left with the last straggler lol. My families know it- and since he's a deputy and EMT certified etc they know the kids are in good hands. There's no way a daycare provider who works 11-or more hs in a day doesn't occasionally need to run out during business hours- I'm sure they understand. I actually use a licensed sub for anything other than a quick errand, or if the time I need to go doesn't mesh w/ hubby's schedule. I found an awesome gal through our local daycare association who specifically subs at home daycares. She used to be a FT in home- but she's older now & downsized her home etc. The only trick is scheduling her first for certain things- like daytime trainings etc- or vacation time in summer- I actually called her first to check when she was free before planning vacation
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:50 AM 05-26-2010
no worries,... parents either understand or they dont. You cant be there every moment. Mine is here when I go get my tb tests, or have an appt.
Tags:parent issues
Reply Up