Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Getting Kids Safely To Bus Stop!
lovemylife 06:55 AM 09-05-2013
My daughter just started Kindergarden and she has to ride the bus. How do you guys get your daycare kids to and from the bus stop safely? We have a choo choo wagon with 3 carts (seats) but 5 kids plus my daughter. If I purchased more carts I don't think I could pull it I have a 10 month old and a 19 month old so we couldn't use a rope. I was looking at the Bye Bye buggy stroller that seats 6 but can't afford $800-$1000!
Play Care 07:55 AM 09-05-2013
Originally Posted by lovemylife:
My daughter just started Kindergarden and she has to ride the bus. How do you guys get your daycare kids to and from the bus stop safely? We have a choo choo wagon with 3 carts (seats) but 5 kids plus my daughter. If I purchased more carts I don't think I could pull it I have a 10 month old and a 19 month old so we couldn't use a rope. I was looking at the Bye Bye buggy stroller that seats 6 but can't afford $800-$1000!
Probably not much help but in our state if the k child qualifies for bus service they must be picked up at their house. So when my own kids were in K, they walked to the end of the driveway and we watched and waved from the front steps. Once they got older they stop was across the street and again, they walked over and we watched and waved (though we were told by my kids to tone the waving down ) On inclement days I might use my van (I do transport and have car/booster seats for everyone)In your case I would probably have the biggest kids walk and the littlest ride the wagon or stroller and use the rope for the bigger kids.
Blackcat31 08:10 AM 09-05-2013
Transportation to and from school and/or bus stops is NOT part of the services I offer.

I am within .5 miles of an elementary school. Any child attending would be required to walk. I don't accept SA kids so it isn't an issue for me but when I did take SA kids, HOW they got to and from school was not my problem.

Does your DD's bus not stop at your house? Is there any older neighboring kids that could stop by your house and get her for you?
sammie 08:31 AM 09-05-2013
We also walk every morning to the bus stop. It is about 2 1/2 blocks from the house. I purchased a triple stroller off of Craigslist and the 3 youngest ride in that and the other kids walk. I also bought a rain cover for the stroller off of Amazon to use when it rains/snows. This is our 3rd year walking .... so far, so good!
Scout 11:01 AM 09-05-2013
I put DS 2 and my 13 mo dck in a double stroller and the rest walk. It is only 3 houses down and across the street though. I haven't had an issue with this yet!
Crazy8 11:08 AM 09-05-2013
My house is the corner house and is the bus stop!! Was actually one of the things I considered when buying the house since my own child was in 1st grade and was very bummed the first day of school when the neighborhood had decided on its own that the bus stop was down the street a little further (near their houses and BEHIND mine so I couldn't even see them). I am sure they were mad, but I complained and it was moved to its "real" location - my corner.

Anyway, I do still take the littles to the bus stop (usually we go for a walk when the bus pulls away). I use a triple stroller for the younger ones and the others walk holding onto the stroller, has never been a problem. I'm very stern in the beginning on behavior, holding on, etc.
lovemylife 12:38 PM 09-05-2013
Our school district doesn't allow home pick ups! It is really frustrating. They only do it for children that have severe disabilities and even then they make the parents jump through hoops to get it done. I don't offer before or after school care/transportation because it is such a hassle! But she is my child so I don't really have the option to not do it
Willow 01:31 PM 09-05-2013
Bus literally comes right up into my driveway, practically to my front door. I have no clue what I would do if it didn't. Everywhere else I've ever lived the bus stopped right at our house, when I myself was in school the furthest I'd have to walk is a couple of driveways away.

While a cart or stroller system may work for now I'm not sure how that's going to work for you in the winter time if Iowa winters are anything like Minnesota winters.

I would go so far as to appeal that bologna right on up to the school board. Running a daycare aside I don't see how walking that far to get to a bus stop does anything but endanger children's lives.....especially if inclement weather is a regular occurrence.
cheerfuldom 01:48 PM 09-05-2013
I think wagons are a pain. I put the smallest child on my back in a carrier. Two kids in a double stroller. Anyone besides that needs to walk. My own kids I can trust to walk on their own. Any daycare kids need to hold onto the stroller.
Reply Up