Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wanna Borrow My Eyes? Vent
daycare 02:04 PM 10-26-2015
So every month we have a family participation activity.

This month we decided to have a family pumpkin decorating contest for everyone.

All of the information went out on October news letter, it's posted on our website, FB page, all over our classroom and etc, OH and fliers went home too. the instructions are simple and pretty easy to understand.

All pumpkins are to be a family project, and then bring them in a brown paperbag. We take pics of them, post them on our FB page and let everyone vote for a winner that will get a family fun night package for our city kid zone.

So today in walks a dcd with a pumpkin plain and says DCG wants it to be a princess and hands it to me. I look at him Lost, well because I am.

I said ok great well I hope you guys have a fantastic time with your transformation and hand it back. DCD looks at me and says well aren't you doing it here and I said no, it is a family project and you are supposed to do it with your child. Should be a fun time. I walk away.

So I think it's over. NOPE then dcd calls me and says I just talked to DCM and she said you asked for it to be brought there and I am going to bring it back.

I tell him not sure where she got this idea, please read one of the above. hang up

again calls. DCD calls and says dcm is yelling at me to bring this to you and make sure it gets dropped off now. So I said ok, I don't want you fighting with DCM over this, bring it back if you must and I will just send it home at the end of the day with another flier.

sorry, just venting, but how many times and how many ways can one possibly convey a message to people and still no one reads it!!

OK vent over.
nanglgrl 02:13 PM 10-26-2015
That has to be very frustrating!

On another note, are you required to send home family projects? I only ask because I hated it when my children's preschools did that and I know they were required to. I do everything with my kids, have little free time and the last thing I feel like doing at the end of the day is another craft. I also noticed that there was always at least one kid in the class who's family never did the family projects and it was sad.

I rarely send home anything like that but recently send home "all about me" posters for the parents/children to do and asked that they add photos of their family. My plan was for each child to have one hanging in the room. Out of 8 families only 5 brought their poster back and several of them required me to ask for it several times. I was stuck doing the posters for the rest of the children because I didn't want anyone not to have one hanging in the room.
daycare 02:27 PM 10-26-2015
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:

On another note, are you required to send home family projects? I only ask because I hated it when my children's preschools did that and I know they were required to. I do everything with my kids, have little free time and the last thing I feel like doing at the end of the day is another craft. I also noticed that there was always at least one kid in the class who's family never did the family projects and it was sad.

I rarely send home anything like that but recently send home "all about me" posters for the parents/children to do and asked that they add photos of their family. My plan was for each child to have one hanging in the room. Out of 8 families only 5 brought their poster back and several of them required me to ask for it several times. I was stuck doing the posters for the rest of the children because I didn't want anyone not to have one hanging in the room.
yes, I have to have parent participation activities. I try not to have one like this every month and if I do, it will be something like on your way to XYZ while on a road trip play this game or sing this song or etc.

So at least I have proof that I am requesting that they do it, I don't actually have to follow up that they did do it.

I don't require anyone to do it, but most of the time everyone does. Especially when I throw a prize in the pot! lol

I did tell the families that if they do not feel they can participate in this activity to let me know. I do have one family that does not celebrate halloween and so I said would you like to make a THANKS pumpkin instead and they said yes. other than that, all of my families will be on board with it.!

yes and frustrating is how it feels!!
Unregistered 04:04 PM 10-26-2015
Are you going to term the child
daycare 04:12 PM 10-26-2015
at this time I don't see a need to term the family, but if they are rude or disrespectful to me about any of this then yes. Hoping that they just realize their mistake on reading the fliers sent home and etc and either choose to do it theirselves or not at all.
Thriftylady 04:43 PM 10-26-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
at this time I don't see a need to term the family, but if they are rude or disrespectful to me about any of this then yes. Hoping that they just realize their mistake on reading the fliers sent home and etc and either choose to do it theirselves or not at all.
Well geesh you would think if they didn't want to do it, they just wouldn't do it.
daycarediva 05:10 PM 10-26-2015
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:

Participation is why I try not to do parent projects AT ALL, and I have severely reduced our special days. I find it sad because the kids LOVE when their parents do something with them for school (eg. I only requested that they bring in ONE fall leaf. Half of my families didn't do it. Geesh, they could have picked one up from my yard on the way in!) Disappointed kids.
daycare 05:27 PM 10-26-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Well geesh you would think if they didn't want to do it, they just wouldn't do it.
I get it, people make mistakes and maybe DCM and DCD were in the heat of something else that I was not aware of and wouldn't want to be aware of.

DCM came to pick up and was actually very apologetic about it. she said that she thought it was supposed to be done here and she was worried that DCD was just ignoring the request to bring them to school.

she admitted that she only scanned over the stuff sent home. Guess that is why her kid didn't get to make the witches brew last week with the rest of us. She will have to do it this week because lucky for them the kids want to do it again... We needed empty plastic bottles from home for this and they didn't bring one. AND of course this was the one time I didn't have an extra one.
DaveA 04:25 AM 10-27-2015
Sounds like DCD and DCM were going at each other over something else and you got caught in the crossfire. Hopefully this will remind them to read stuff you send home better from now on.
Tags:vent
Reply Up