Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teething Diarrhea or Gastroenteritis
Unregistered 10:10 AM 12-20-2016
I am so sick of dealing with diarrhea. The first time a child had diarrhea i brushed it off as teething, I woke up next day vomitting. 5 minths later same kid has diarrhea, i woke up again the next day with stomach bug! Its amazing how parents dont believe the stomach bug actually exsist. They love to use the excuse teething. Now today a different child has had watery yellow diarrhea filling the diaper every hour. She is 23 months old. She doesnt have a fever. Idk what to do, do I call mom and ask her to stay home? Or is it teething? How can you tell?!
With Christmas coming I rather not be sick. But I know if I tell mom she needs to stay home, she will blame teething. How do I argue with that.
NillaWafers 10:14 AM 12-20-2016
my policy is if a child has more than one loose bowel they go home. That way they cant argue its teething. doesn't matter what is causing it, you're going home.
finsup 10:20 AM 12-20-2016
My policies state I will exclude for diaheera regardless of cause. There's no way to be 100% sure its not a virus so I just don't risk it. Parents don't like it, and will try to argue it but stay firm. I would absolutely send home. Just a text saying "dcm, dcg has diarrhea and needs to be picked up within an hour. Thanks! See you soon!" If she argues just say "I understand, it may be, but I am not willing to risk my, or the other kiddos health. See you soon." Dont argue, don't debate, just keep stating dcg needs to go home and with me at least wouldnt be allowed back tomorrow either.
If you don't have a policy on this yet, now is a great time to add one!
Luna 10:21 AM 12-20-2016
Exactly. You can't tell. Diarrhea is diarrhea, no matter what caused it. She needs to stay home.
JackandJill 10:24 AM 12-20-2016
Not sure where you are, but my state requires me to exclude for diarrhea and vomiting. Not matter what. They are excluded until they are 24 hours symptom free.

I would exclude even if the state didn't require it. Poor kid should be home, if she is that sick!
Blackcat31 10:33 AM 12-20-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am so sick of dealing with diarrhea. The first time a child had diarrhea i brushed it off as teething, I woke up next day vomitting. 5 minths later same kid has diarrhea, i woke up again the next day with stomach bug! Its amazing how parents dont believe the stomach bug actually exsist. They love to use the excuse teething. Now today a different child has had watery yellow diarrhea filling the diaper every hour. She is 23 months old. She doesnt have a fever. Idk what to do, do I call mom and ask her to stay home? Or is it teething? How can you tell?!
With Christmas coming I rather not be sick. But I know if I tell mom she needs to stay home, she will blame teething. How do I argue with that.
Never exclude for illnesses. Exclude ONLY for symptoms.

You are not a Dr. Mom/dad are not Dr's so what the child has or doesn't have is simply a guess....

I exclude for symptoms so ANY diarrhea means exclusion for a minimum of 24 hours AFTER symptoms have gone away.

Call mom and send the child home.
Child MUST remain home until they have been diarrhea free for a FULL 24 hours. Do NOT accept a Dr's note for return. The Dr is not the one providing care (cleaning up the poo!) so the Dr does not get to say whether a child can or can't return.

I exclude for symptoms only.

I also list teething on my illness policy.
Baby Beluga 10:54 AM 12-20-2016
Originally Posted by finsup:
My policies state I will exclude for diaheera regardless of cause. There's no way to be 100% sure its not a virus so I just don't risk it.
My policy is the same. "For sanitary reasons children will be be sent home if 2 loose stools occur while in care, regardless of the reason for the loose stools."
AmyKidsCo 01:30 PM 12-20-2016
Originally Posted by Luna:
Exactly. You can't tell. Diarrhea is diarrhea, no matter what caused it. She needs to stay home.
Ditto. For me it's because I can't keep a sanitary environment if a child has diarrhea - it could leak out at any point.
Unregistered 02:02 PM 12-20-2016
Do you have to let the other parents know if a stomach bug may be going around?
Blackcat31 03:09 PM 12-20-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Do you have to let the other parents know if a stomach bug may be going around?
I am not required to but I certainly do as a courtesy.
daycarediva 11:37 AM 12-21-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

You are not a Dr. Mom/dad are not Dr's so what the child has or doesn't have is simply a guess....

I exclude for symptoms so ANY diarrhea means exclusion for a minimum of 24 hours AFTER symptoms have gone away.

Child MUST remain home until they have been diarrhea free for a FULL 24 hours. Do NOT accept a Dr's note for return. The Dr is not the one providing care (cleaning up the poo!) so the Dr does not get to say whether a child can or can't return.

Yes, and I do let parents know (although my kids tell their parents everything so this would definitely be known at home already) haha!
Ariana 09:16 AM 12-22-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

All of this! Logically to me, the whole teething means diarrhea just doesn't make any sense. This is why I exclude for symptoms. It does not matter why a child has diarrhea.
Tags:diarreaha, gastroenteritis, teething
Reply Up