Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
First ... 2 3 4
Parents and Guardians Forum>Charging on Holidays
daycarediva 07:04 AM 11-24-2017
as a parent with kids in music, karate, and other sports.

We pay regardless. Bad weather? No football? Pay the same.

Music store is on vacation for a week at christmas, we pay our regular payments for instruments (even though they are unavailable to service them if needed) AND lessons, even though my kids will be missing two each.

If I charged even $1 more per day it would add up to more money over the year than my paid time off.

and again, look around at different daycares. It's highly unlikely that was the ONLY one in your area. Call the local licensing office and ask for referrals. You should be able to get a copy of the contract you signed. If you don't like the policies, speak to them about it- look elsewhere- don't sign and complain.

I have two parents who I wrote a special contract up for.

Parent 1- We added up the days her school age child would attend on scheduled days off, 1/2 days, etc (I don't take her regularly, just days off of school or half days) and she pays me a set monthly amount that covers her time here. So instead of owing me over $300 the week of christmas-new years, her rate is spread out over the year. She has a balance due if she pulls before the school year ends, though.

parent 2- we added up the 10 holidays/year that I am closed, and she pays additional money per week. She's actually paying MORE than she would if she paid like everyone else, but she still feels like she gets a break. She doesn't need alternate care (I only close for major holidays, eg. christmas day). but she doesn't get PTO at her job, so I guess the small break that week helps her.
Ariana 11:51 AM 11-28-2017
childcare is a very unique self employment category. We are usually in high demand and can set terms that work for us.

I do know many businesses that set their own terms but very few can be compared to childcare. The only thing that comes somewhat close is season tickets to a sports game. You buy the tickets and pay for them whether you attend the games or not. No one complains about that because they are getting something out of it. Like childcare you knew upfront you had to pay for it whether or not you attend. When parents don’t directly benefit from a service they don’t see the value in it (not all parents thankfully).
Unregistered 01:06 PM 12-04-2017
Originally Posted by Meeko:
You probably have a car payment. So I am going to assume that if for some reason you broke your leg and couldn't drive for 6 weeks, that you will be calling the lien holder and crying about how it's not fair you have to pay the monthly payment when you can't drive the car.......

Things happen. You still have to pay for your car.
Things happen. You still have to pay your daycare provider.
In your car scenario, the car is still available to the owner. This is the difference. Their spouse/friend/roommate or whatever could drive them around, they could sit in the driveway playing their car stereo if they chose, whatever. The lein holder is not going to come reposses the car for 6 weeks so the car can have a little vacay time while demanding that payment still be made. If this happened you'd all be here crying in the forums, while continuing to charge your customers for services not rendered.
Blackcat31 01:15 PM 12-04-2017
I am pretty sure that even if child care was open 24/7/365 parents would still be complaining

I have ONE question. Just ONE.

Is it really that horrible to pay the person that provides love and care to YOUR child a day's pay, a week's pay or even a months pay while they take a MUCH needed break?!

I mean the provider cares for the ONE thing that should be THE most important person in your life so why is paying them for the small amount of time off they take that big of a deal?

The fact that so many parents simply don't see the value in that says ALOT about parents today.

I'm glad my kids didn't ever have to feel like they weren't worthy of a few extra days pay that I still paid their provider when she closed.

It made their time with our provider that much more important and worth it because my provider was healthy (BOTH physically and mentally) because she didn't have the added stress of worrying about income due to vacation.
Unregistered 03:55 PM 12-05-2017
Originally Posted by AC23:
If it was in the contract you must honor it or give notice and leave. After seeing what all goes into becoming a provider they deserve these days. Back ground checks, many inspections on safety, fire, public health conducted. Trainings in CPR/First Aid/Rescue breathing along with many other areas to include depending on the state a minimum of 6 or more training hours a year. The list could go on criteria that must be met and the pay that many home providers are much less than someone working in a child care center. For instance a home provider may charge for arguement sake $200 a week for up to 50 hours a week. That breaks down to $4.00 an hour. Gee that means that you or anyone paying that a week is paying less than minimum wage to someone that is watching their child. I think paying for holidays or other closures is more than worth it. I think most people under estimate what goes into child care profession along with the importance of this area. what price tag are you willing to put on your child? I know I wouldn't think twice about paying that or more for my infant. Currently I choose not to work so I can stay home with her because I would rather scrap by than allow my child to be put in child care with someone I don't know.
This is an ignorant statement. Of course it's less than minimum wage. Why would you even be working if your just giving exactly what you make directly to someone else, only you pay taxes on the money, and gas etc. so your actually in the red. They watch more than one child at a time Thad where the profit is.
bklsmum 05:00 AM 12-06-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This is an ignorant statement. Of course it's less than minimum wage. Why would you even be working if your just giving exactly what you make directly to someone else, only you pay taxes on the money, and gas etc. so your actually in the red. They watch more than one child at a time Thad where the profit is.
We also have a lot of expenses that go along with providing childcare! Bottom line is that if you don't like paying what you agreed to pay then that is YOUR problem, not your provider's. Find another provider who's policies you do agree with but don't agree to something and then bitch about it being unfair later!
Blackcat31 06:25 AM 12-06-2017
This is equally as ignorant.

Not all parents work for minimum wage.
The child care provider pays taxes on the income as well.
My profit isn't from the fact that I watch more than one child at a time.
My profit comes from the quality care provided to the children in attendance, whether that be one or 10 children.

...and to say "Why would you be working just to give the money you are making directly to someone else?" is akin to providers that wonder why parents have children they bring directly to daycare for someone else to "raise".

Bottom line for all parents is if you can't afford child care, stay home with your child and provide care yourself.
If you can afford child care and you choose to use it, do so but stop complaining about it.
LysesKids 09:45 AM 12-06-2017
Darlin' after I paid my taxes, food, extra utilities, gas to buy supplies, etc I made just 2,792 last year... I had 4,000 in medical bills & 10,000 alone in the last 2 months due to pneumonia for this year & I don't have medical insurance because TN didn't expand Obama care... I am so negative already I'm about to file bankruptcy, I'm probably more in the red than if I worked a minimum wage job... at least then I wouldn't be paying 15% taxes instead of just the employees share ( BTW, I'm a single with no spouse covering other costs... my income is the only one); not every provider has 6-10 kids... I'm allowed 4 at most because I do infants only
LysesKids 10:08 AM 12-06-2017
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
We also have a lot of expenses that go along with providing childcare! Bottom line is that if you don't like paying what you agreed to pay then that is YOUR problem, not your provider's. Find another provider who's policies you do agree with but don't agree to something and then bitch about it being unfair later!
Exactly... It's why I have my families read my policies on the website before they sign the contract... They don't like the rules, then don't set up an interview lol
Snowmom 12:07 PM 12-06-2017
Bolded:
It is NEVER a guarantee that we will have a full roster. Never.
There are years I net less than minimum wage and years I have net triple the minimum wage.
Paid holiday closures are the only perk I get in this job.
If people want to balk at paying those, they are not people I want in my home and in my business.
Unregistered 11:43 AM 12-18-2017
It would certainly be a bit more understandable IF the school was still having to pay their employees on holidays, snow days, or other days they decide to be closed. However, WE ARE NOT PAID for any of those days that parents still pay....other than VETERANS DAY MEMORIAL DAY, CHRISTMAS DAY, THANKSGIVING DAY, & NY DAY.... So the preschool is winning and everyone else loses, including your child's teacher.
Cat Herder 12:18 PM 12-18-2017
It would certainly be a bit more understandable IF the school was still having to pay their employees on holidays, snow days, or other days they decide to be closed. However, WE ARE NOT PAID for any of those days that parents still pay....other than VETERANS DAY MEMORIAL DAY, CHRISTMAS DAY, THANKSGIVING DAY, & NY DAY.... So the preschool is winning and everyone else loses, including your child's teacher.
I know it seems that way but the simple truth is that bit of "extra" income is already figured into the years budget that decided tuition and pay scale. Payroll is one of the smaller costs associated with running a center.
Unregistered 04:12 PM 01-22-2018
Exactly my thoughts *Interested*
Sometimes I think parents whine more than children. You are paying for the slot, not for the hour. If you want it spelled out.... you have a yearly flat rate. It is broken down for your convenience. Or would you rather pay by the year?? The only thing to change this is what the policy makes exceptions to. Have you ever heard of salary pay? No matter how many hours you work, it is a flat pay. It is the same principle. Got a problem? Start your own day care and see what we are talking about, then maybe you would understand better. If we catered to everyones whims, we would watch your precious for free 24/7.
as you say we pay for the "slot" that would mean that for a holiday that the daycare is closed there is no "slot" they are closed, that would be like paying for a reservation that doesn't exits.
mommyneedsadayoff 06:20 PM 01-22-2018
as you say we pay for the "slot" that would mean that for a holiday that the daycare is closed there is no "slot" they are closed, that would be like paying for a reservation that doesn't exits.
I think you are confused. Each daycare is allowed a certain amount of children that they are allowed to take. The slot you are referring to is not the number of days, it is the number of children a dc can can have enrolled. So if your daycare can only have eight children, you are paying for one of those eight slots. If you want to come back the day after a closed holiday and have your spot still available, then you pay regardless...or pay according to the CONTRACT YOU SIGNED.
BrynleeJean 08:12 PM 02-07-2018
Its definitely legal
But they do have to have it in their policy or whatever handbook they give you to read and sign when you enroll.
They can't just not have it written and be like "oh I'm closed tomorrow but thought it would be nice if you paid me"
they don't usually do that its probably in their policy handbook that you signed, you just missed it

Good luck
Leigh 11:03 AM 02-12-2018
There is no slot on Saturday nor Sunday (at most daycares). Would you expect a discount for those days, as well? Why not? It makes no sense to me that a person can not understand the logic to this.

I figure out what I need each year. I divide it by the number of children I am allowed to have in care. I plan for being closed for certain holidays and a few sick days. Maybe a few vacation days, if I am lucky. My rates are set based on this number that I must have yearly.

I certainly COULD let parents have days where they don't pay for closures, illness, vacation, etc. BUT, that number that I NEED does not change. So, I would just raise my rates to cover those closure days to ensure that I made my goal income. My clients are going to pay that number that I need to hit whether they pay it in higher rates with "free" days (that aren't truly free) or whether they pay it with a lower weekly fee that is the same every week.

Either way, my business needs to make a certain amount to stay solvent. I am going to get to that number or I won't stay in business.

If you don't like paying the same amount weekly, why not ask to pay a higher rate so you can feel like you're getting something for nothing?
kathykats 06:39 AM 02-20-2018
Originally Posted by A mom:
Our daycare provider charges only for the days my daughter is physically there so long as we tell them by the Sunday evening of that particular week. So we do not pay for holidays, we do not pay for our vacations, and we don't pay for any days I know in advance that she won't be there. They use this open communication system of scheduling to give their caretakers more flexibility in their own schedules. So no, not all providers charge for the "slot." Some actually charge for the care that is provided.
Does you provider give you a receipt for taxes? I give a receipt for taxes to my parents. They get about 35% back of what they pay me throughout the year. I also pay taxes on what I charge, so I charge a weekly fee as well, unless I am closed. They get 1 week a year off for vacation and I schedule my vacation then, they don't pay for that week. But it is 1/2 pay for any additional weeks, unless they bring the children a day or two, then it is full rate.
Unregistered 05:43 PM 06-23-2018
As a college educated (BA, Psych, emph. on Development), group family child care provider of 30 years, I charge a weekly set rate, whether your child is in attendance or not. I also have paid Holidays, (honored either the Friday before or Monday after if they fall on a weekend), 10 paid vacation days (equivalent to two weeks paid vacation), and 9 paid PTO days, accrued by industry standard formula based on hours worked. This equals 28 paid days off! I offer a coupon for one free week of care annually. An advance schedule of time off is provided for the year to allow for alternate caregiver arrangements, however, I reserve 4 PTO days for illness or emergency. Thank you to all of my families who over the years have supported my professionalism, and helped me sustain my longevity and commitment to my career. I especially want to thank former daycare children, who are now bringing their children to my in -home child care. And lastly, I thank my grown children, ages 30, 27, and 24 for their many sacrifices of home, personal space, and, too often, me; my husband, who listens, but never interferes, nor complains; my custodial grandchildren, ages 9, 5, and 4, who have learned to love caregiving, made valuable friends, and help out alot!
Josiegirl 03:36 AM 06-24-2018
With that train of thought, how would you feel if your 'slot' was all of a sudden taken by another family, if it's not saved? Then it becomes drop-in care and that could be even a higher rate, plus you'd have to confirm it all the time. What family wants to work around that sort of unpredictable plan??
amberrose3dg 06:11 AM 06-25-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
With that train of thought, how would you feel if your 'slot' was all of a sudden taken by another family, if it's not saved? Then it becomes drop-in care and that could be even a higher rate, plus you'd have to confirm it all the time. What family wants to work around that sort of unpredictable plan??
The ones that are too" cheap" to pay when they aren't there.
hwichlaz 01:43 PM 06-27-2018
In your car scenario, the car is still available to the owner. This is the difference. Their spouse/friend/roommate or whatever could drive them around, they could sit in the driveway playing their car stereo if they chose, whatever. The lein holder is not going to come reposses the car for 6 weeks so the car can have a little vacay time while demanding that payment still be made. If this happened you'd all be here crying in the forums, while continuing to charge your customers for services not rendered.
I still have to make my car payment when it’s stuck in the repair shop
Unregistered 07:56 PM 12-06-2018
Wow! These childcare workers seem super bitter and confrontational. Also why do you also assume that all parents who pay for childcare get paid days off? Some people own and operate their own businesses or work for themselves so if my child is only going to the facility 2 out of the four days we pay for due to a holiday; it definitely doesn’t feel fair to parents. Prorating makes more sense. To answer most of your question “why should we get a paid day off?” The answer is, you probably only have an associates and work for a private facility or yourself. So maybe you should stop complaining and get and actual salary/union job if you want paid days off. That being said my son’s preschool teachers are great and I’m glad that at least some of the money all of the parents are paying is actually going towards their paid holiday.
Blackcat31 09:08 PM 12-06-2018
Wow! These childcare workers seem super bitter and confrontational. Also why do you also assume that all parents who pay for childcare get paid days off? Some people own and operate their own businesses or work for themselves so if my child is only going to the facility 2 out of the four days we pay for due to a holiday; it definitely doesn’t feel fair to parents. Prorating makes more sense. To answer most of your question “why should we get a paid day off?” The answer is, you probably only have an associates and work for a private facility or yourself. So maybe you should stop complaining and get and actual salary/union job if you want paid days off. That being said my son’s preschool teachers are great and I’m glad that at least some of the money all of the parents are paying is actually going towards their paid holiday.
They aren’t bitter or confrontational
They’re probably just frustrated that even after 4 pages of explanations parents still don’t see the answer.....

Don’t sign the contract if you don’t like the policies.

There are many child care options available.
Choose the one that works for you.

That’s not bitter or confrontational.
It’s simple logic
Michael 11:15 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
They’re probably just frustrated that even after 4 pages of explanations parents still don’t see the answer.....
True that! ^
mommyneedsadayoff 06:09 AM 12-07-2018
So you DO agree that childcare providers should get paid days off. Glad you got your negativity out before admitting you actually agree with paid time off. Also, you should tell your provider they need an actual job if they want the time off. Because caring for your child in a center versus caring for a child in an in-home daycare makes all the difference in being deserving of paid time off. One's an actual job and one is not according to you. Just make sure you tell them that up front before signing the contract.
amberrose3dg 03:37 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
So you DO agree that childcare providers should get paid days off. Glad you got your negativity out before admitting you actually agree with paid time off. Also, you should tell your provider they need an actual job if they want the time off. Because caring for your child in a center versus caring for a child in an in-home daycare makes all the difference in being deserving of paid time off. One's an actual job and one is not according to you. Just make sure you tell them that up front before signing the contract.
Exactly! Pick a daycare that doesn't charge when the child isn't there. I have had families not enroll with me because of this. I rather not enroll them then have them getting rude everytime a paid day off comes up!
Unregistered 12:10 AM 06-08-2019
To me if you take in the fact that we gotta find another person to watch our child or children to me it’s unreasonable. I feel like mandatory Holliday’s like Christmas NewYears Thanksgiving July4th etc are time my problem is taking up to 5 days off around theses days and still getting paid. Or when you have a family emergency and can’t work you still get paid that’s bull. Everyone deserves vacation time just be reasonable.
Blackcat31 07:38 AM 06-08-2019
To me if you take in the fact that we gotta find another person to watch our child or children to me it’s unreasonable. I feel like mandatory Holliday’s like Christmas NewYears Thanksgiving July4th etc are time my problem is taking up to 5 days off around theses days and still getting paid. Or when you have a family emergency and can’t work you still get paid that’s bull. Everyone deserves vacation time just be reasonable.
What one person considers reasonable is debatable so like it’s been said 100X’s already the answer to this dilemma is to find a provider or child care solution that works for YOU.

There are so many options out there and so many providers that charge/don’t charge for vacations, closed days and off time that it’s unreasonable for you to think that everyone should have the same policies or have policies that work for only you.

The reasonable thing to do would be to find a provider or a care solution that fits YOUR needs.
springv 08:59 AM 06-08-2019
Our center charges a set price based on their age and they pay even if we are closed. We only close Thanksgiving and the day after, new years, Christmas eve and Christmas day, memorial day, 4th of July and good Friday. If we close for bad weather our parents pay and if they are on assistance to help pay for childcare they have to swipe an absence for the day that we are closed
Rockgirl 09:20 AM 06-08-2019
I looked to see if “dead horse” was a tag for this thread. Yes, it is!
Michael 10:50 PM 06-08-2019
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I looked to see if “dead horse” was a tag for this thread. Yes, it is!
That dead horse is immortal on this thread.
Rockgirl 05:46 AM 06-09-2019
Originally Posted by Michael:
That dead horse is immortal on this thread.
No kidding!
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 06-09-2019
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
No kidding!
Right?!
Every time I see this thread pop up I start singing “second verse... same as the first” in my head
MamaG2903 12:28 PM 06-09-2019

Unregistered 10:23 PM 09-20-2019
Very well said. Yes, you are paying for the spot, not the hours you use it, unless you EXCEED the hours agreed on.
Seems you want yo have it both ways, you want to come and go as you please and charge us for your non-service because we are paying for the spot. So if I am paying for a spot like a salary as stated previous then it should not matter if hours are exceed since you have no concern to charge us when you do nothing at all and are not open for business.
Cat Herder 07:35 AM 09-23-2019
Seems you want yo have it both ways, you want to come and go as you please and charge us for your non-service because we are paying for the spot. So if I am paying for a spot like a salary as stated previous then it should not matter if hours are exceed since you have no concern to charge us when you do nothing at all and are not open for business.
Closed days are included in annual tuition cost that is spread out over 52 weeks for your convenience.

Leaving your child at a business past closing time is abandonment.

Like comparing apples to felonies.
SnowGirl 12:51 PM 09-29-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Closed days are included in annual tuition cost that is spread out over 52 weeks for your convenience.

Leaving your child at a business past closing time is abandonment.

Like comparing apples to felonies.
I'm SURE another provider in this asinine thread has mentioned this over the years...but I don't actually charge on holidays.

I have a weekly fee, and sometimes that fee is less if I'm closed for vacation or holidays.

HOWEVER, my weekly rate reflects that. It's higher than it would be if I charged for holidays and vacation days...because I still calculated my annual salary and divided it by weeks of the year, considering three weeks closed and holidays.

I would be making the same amount either way...it's just a slightly bigger pain in the youknowwhat to calculate rates on the rare weeks I am closed.
Unregistered 07:53 AM 10-03-2019
I would be glad too....not to have you come to care 😂 Your child deserves better than such a selfish parent. STAY.HOME. if you don't like/understand the fees or go to a drop-in provider ( more $ and no guarantee of availability). You are a crappy parent if you think it's okay to leave your kids for hours on end at daycare when you're not really even doing anything, simply because of money. That just goes to show what kind of person you are. Either you are a troll or selfish total b****
lblanke 05:38 AM 10-07-2019
I think parents complain less when billed monthly (think preschool fees), so they pay for the month even if closed for a week. It probably seems different to pay $500 per month for December than $125 per week for 4 weeks if childcare is closed for 1 of those weeks, but most of your parents who pay weekly would probably complain that they cannot pay monthly.
Unregistered 11:46 AM 11-08-2019
My daughters daycare keeps adding days off around holidays. I don't get assistance and have to pay full price. This year, on top of the extra Friday before Memorial Day, they have Wednesday, Thursday and Friday Christmas week and New Years. That's $240 for 4 days of daycare. Isn't there some type of law? Does the state have to pay all these extra days, I work government job and they get more holidays then I do and I have to pay for daycare that isn't available.
Snowmom 01:40 PM 11-08-2019
My daughters daycare keeps adding days off around holidays. I don't get assistance and have to pay full price. This year, on top of the extra Friday before Memorial Day, they have Wednesday, Thursday and Friday Christmas week and New Years. That's $240 for 4 days of daycare. Isn't there some type of law? Does the state have to pay all these extra days, I work government job and they get more holidays then I do and I have to pay for daycare that isn't available.
If it doesn't work for you, then find a different daycare that aligns with what you want.
No, there's no law that tells a business owner what holidays they can and can not be paid for.
You should be supplied with what the terms are and you either agree and sign up or disagree and look elsewhere.

Just to compare, because you'd hate my daycare: I am closed and get paid Christmas Eve through New Years Day, 2 days at Thanksgiving, Veteran's Day, 2 days for Memorial Day, Labor Day, 2 days for 4th of July, President's Day and gosh, I know I'm forgetting more.
Josiegirl 03:17 AM 11-09-2019
How far ahead do they give you notice for unexpected days off? Is it a family in home dc? I can see how it'd be an inconvenience in many ways. My policies always stated the usual holidays(which did include my vacation during Christmas time); I also added that occasionally I would include an extra day to make a 4 day weekend, such as when the 4th of July falls on a Thursday or Tuesday type of thing. Did your dc policies include that information? And looking at the # of days closed through out the year, is it unreasonable? Everyone needs vacation time or they burn out, especially caregivers. If you and your child like your provider other than the issue of time closed, think long and hard before you decide to switch. Sometimes you simply switch issues and the next provider might not be as good a fit.
I also added in my policies to have reliable backup because providers are normal human beings who get sick themselves and have unexpected life thrown at them.
Ariana 12:12 PM 11-12-2019
Sounds like childcare is such a good gig for some of the parents commenting. You should give it a try...then come back in a year and let us know how it is going
Buly1958 06:28 AM 12-26-2019
Thank you for the details
Tags:2007, charging on holidays, christmas, contract, dead horse, estrangement, getting money's worth, good friday, holiday, independence day, labor day, memorial day, new years, paid holidays, paid vacations, presidents day, thanksgiving, the post that would not end, train wreck, unpaid holiday, unrealistic expectations, veterans day, whining
First ... 2 3 4
Reply Up